“Convenient inexpensive base for local sightseeing” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hexham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Hampshire
“Convenient inexpensive base for local sightseeing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was a two night stopover to tour in the area. The hotel is in the town and convenient for the station if you arrive by train. Whilst the hotel decor and room were not 21st Century boutique, the key things were right, namely:
- the bed that was comfortable with decent linen
- the bathroom that had a separate shower. (Pressure was low but it was the top of the hotel)
- the breakfast (all you would expect and cooked to order, therefore hot)
- the staff who were attentive
- the menu choice for the evening meal that was varied
- the price that wouldn't break the bank.

OK - you are in the town so there is no view but the green area across the road is pleasant enough. And 'in the town' does not mean noisy.

Hexham is close to Hadrian's Wall and Beamish Open Air Museum both of which are worth visiting. In summary - well worth staying here and you could pay much more for somewhere more flashy and in the country but still not improve much on basic needs for a short stay.

Room Tip: They vary in size so ask if you don't get exactly what you were hoping for.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I spent a very enjoyable weekend with my wife.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.When we could not book a taxi on our departure the owner of the hotel very kindly gave us a lift to the station in her own car.
We found our room to be comfortable and spacious and together with the bathroom it was spotlessly clean.
Our breakfasts were very good and the service was excellent.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked the hotel based on the reviews here but sadly our stay was a disappointment!
First the good bits - friendly staff and clean rooms!
The bad bits? - our 'double' room was tiny, no drawer space, small wardrobe - tilting slightly - wedged in the corner. The shower room was enormous for what it was but there was no bath and no space beside the wash basin to put anything. It would have been impossible to spend more than one night in that room without suffering from cabin fever!
Breakfast was so so - and not included in the already high room rate.
If we had paid half the price then I wouldn't have been surprised at the room, but the rate was the same as we often pay for a double room in a big city centre hotel.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the room!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Beaumont for 1 night and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the room and the standard of service. It only shows a 3 star rating but compared to the accommodation in our home country of Australia it should have at least 4 stars. All the staff we came in contact with were very friendly and helpful.

The Hotel is in a very convenient location with everything accessible by foot. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone whether for business or leisure.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had a great few days staying in Hexham. Hotel is great, stayed in the Beaumont Suite which has a separate sitting room and a view of the park and abbey. Parking is free accessible around the back. Fantastic evening meal, breakfast and all service. As the weather was bleak we visited various sites indoors. Visit the abbey and crypt (free). Hexham feels a bit like a small York but the pubs are sparce and lack variety of food and atmosphere. I'm afraid the best one is the Weatherspoons...exactly.
On travelling outside Hexham we visited the Roman Army museum (fantastic) and then Vindalanda. Best to see in that order as movies at the museum immerses you in the Roman world. Surprisingly the sites do not have the wall anywhere nearby...go to Peel Cragg about 2 miles north of Vindalanda, ask at Vindalanda reception.
We usually find a country pub and sit outside...too much snow for this so we went to Langley Castle Inn...amazing. We had sandwiches and a beer in the drawing room of a castle! Afternoon tea is also available. We also did this the following day on the way home at Lumley Castle south of Durham.
Had a fantastic time, will be returning to the area soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I've stayed here a few times with regular business from work. I'm always surprised about how varied the rooms are and there seems to be no pattern to the one I get! Today am in a room with a very creaky upstairs next to the stair way with a very lumpy bed. All very clean and service is excellent, very kind and polite and helpful, but quite a tired hotel in need of some serious work under the sheets.

The food is quite varied and very consistent, pretty typical local faire and very plentiful and generally well made, though a touch greasy.

Overall probably one of the best hotels close to Hexham centre but that's not really saying much. They could do with some serious competition!

P.s. swimming pool is not terrible, there is no pool and I couldn't undo this once it was entered.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rothbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

From the first conversation during the booking process i knew my friend and I were in for a great Friendly and well deserved break on arrival. And from entering the beautiful building at the heart of Hexham we were not mistaken, the Manager booked us in with a extremely happy and the most welcoming tone. once we were taken to our twin room number 10, we were both left over whelmed, the cleanliness was second to none, but the size of the room took our breath away. The shower was very powerful and my friend said the separate bath was the perfect size for a long soak.
All the coffee. tea and wardrobe facilities were perfect and definitely more than enough for 2 people to share.

On arrival we were asked if we wanted morning calls, we were asked what time we preferred to eat, both morning and evening meals. this was a great surprise to us as we are normally given time limits or for the want of a better word (slots).
The view from the restaurant is facing the park and it did look delightful with the snow, the first meal we had was our evening meal, my friend and I had the prawn starters, with only one word to cover that (WOW) then my friend had the chicken i had the lasagna.we were both left feeling very content and with smiles on our faces, especially when the delicious cheesecakes arrived. Breakfast was just as good, with everything except a personal taster, but i am sure the staff would even do this for you if required.

Not everyone that visits this Hotel may need the Night Manager to let them in through the middle of the night but as we are still in our prime(hehe 40ish) and were there for a good catch up we went to the local pubs and night clubs, i personally went to the two night clubs and could review both , but no I want to give my love to the great guy who with only a door bell between us let us both in at 3.30am. with a smile and making sure we both got to our room I say thank you Andrew. (you know who you are)

Breakfast again was perfect. evening meal out of this world it takes a lot for me to enjoy a steak done to the way i like it, i quite often ruin my own, i was in disbelief when the steak i ordered was perfect. funny how both of us could not even think of a desert so declined but the chief ask if we could find space for a new dish he had just made, and gave us the opportunity to try it first.. well who am I to say no. one word i had in mind was Kidnap. as after tasting this new delight all i wanted to do was just that and take his talent home.

I can advise all who are looking for a great stay to relax and feel very special with a pinch of even love to visit this Hotel. I know I will be staying there again and hopefully soon.

One other thing I have to mention is the way the local people took me to their hearts and how I at one point was even asked back for local events..

Try this Hotel for yourself, nothing will get in your way and the Staff from front of house to the back are perfectly friendly..

My Name is Christine Williams and will be honored if you visit this Hotel through my review...
My Friend has wrote a review under the name Christine R.
Stars out of 5 a definite 10. xx
I will try to add photos of not only the hotel but the Hotels beautiful surroundings and hey maybe even some funny night club scenes xx

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Beaumont Hotel? Share your experiences!