“Great food, good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great food, good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel and used the restaurant for both dinner and
The hotel and bar staff were very good.
Great base for Silverstone.
Food was of a high standard, squid very good and ribeye steak was excellent... the adjoining bar is well worth a visit,
All in all great stay, only draw back was our room was at the front of the building directly alongside a main train line with Virgin trains passing though at speed on a regular basis!
Minor issue and would happily return

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Newbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in June for 1 night on business. My first concern was that the moment I drove up to the hotel I could see it was literally a stone's throw from a railway line. Not just any railway line, but a Virgin express railway line that had trains running all through the night, most frequently every 5-7 minutes.

I have never had such a bad night's sleep in my life. The trains were constant and as I was in room 6, at the front of the hotel, there was no escape. Each time a train pelted past the whole floor would vibrate. Just as I nodded off a train would pass, wake me up, I would nod off again and the whole process continued from the moment I attempted to sleep until I got up at 6.30am. Not ideal when you have a full day of training to deliver the following day.

To compound matters, in my room there was a fire exit sign that was lit up green all night and I constantly felt I was being beamed up it was so bright.

The website for the hotel is very misleading as there is absolutely no mention of the railway line. I am amazed that the TripAdvisor reviews are not worse!! I cannot believe that this hotel would ever attract returning customers.

The staff were all very friendly and the food was average.

Would not recommend to anyone who plans on sleeping here.

• Stayed June 2013
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

A friendly little hotel. We arrived to check in very late - which seemed no worry to them. We were too late to have anything to eat but the bar looked very welcoming. Got up to a lovely freshly cooked breakfast served by very efficient and friendly staff.

Room Tip: The hotel is VERY close to the main London to Birmingham railway line, if you don't want to be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The staff were welcoming and helpful and the room had all the necessities. Inspite of the closeness to the high speed London railway line we were not bothered by the noise at the back of this nice old building. Breakfast was excellent. We had not found the mattress very comfortable but our feedback was received in a very positive way.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Booked the day before and had no expectations. Arrived late, but in time for a quiet drink in the bar. Good quality 'real ales' on. The staff were friendly, the room was clean & comfortable, the shower hot. Breakfast was served with a smile and very good. When I next need to stay in the area, I'll be booking in here. (didn't have a problem with train noise, due to my room being at the back)

Room Tip: Rooms at the back don't get the train noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

First visit to this restaurant .Welcomed by a lovely waitress,so polite and professional.
I had the bream which was cooked beautifully.Throughout the evening the waitress was attentive...
We will certainly return,compliments to the chef,very good food,cooked and presented to a high standard.

Room Tip: Well worth a visit
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We had a 2 night stay here and were very happy with the hotel and all it had to offer. The rooms are clean, and well equipped. We found the staff to be very kind, friendly and couldn't do enough to help. The food was excellent, with a great choice, and a really nice friendly bar to top things off. I think the hotel is very reasonably priced,and so the quality exceeded my expectations.
I was a bit concerned when I arrived about the noise from trains, as I'm usually a light sleeper, but ... the trains must have stopped as I slept like a baby both nights.
I would struggle to find anything to dislike really, if you expect the Ritz, then you should book (and pay for) the Ritz. This is a very friendly local Inn, with great food and friendly staff..... I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Walnut Tree Inn? Share your experiences!