“Watch out for the hot wing challenge !!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #112 of 403 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
Description: This is a 'sister' restaurant to franks steak house, but is a different restaurant.
Cranfield, United Kingdom
“Watch out for the hot wing challenge !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Visited on a Thursday lunchtime with a work colleague.

We were the only people in there - waitress was very friendly and helpful allowing us to tailor menu items (i.e. a choice from the sharer items but for one).

Burgers were nicely presented and whilst not looking overly handmade were tasty. My Phoenix burger (Ciabatta, burger with chillis, chirizo, cheese and fresh chillies) together with what i assume are double cooked fries where good enough.

It was my choice of starter that won the day - the Hot Wing challenge consists of 4 complete wings cooked in god knows what spices, but damn they are hot. I enjoy spicey food, but nothing to date had prepared me for that.

24 hours later i still can't touch my eyes for fear of the burning sensation even after scrubbing my hands multiple times, and my internals are still doing somersaults.

Overall - a good local burger joint. Not upto what you get in the US, but adequate.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“We must have struck lucky!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

We went thurs 7 march on a last minute descision. I have read the mixed reviews.....but as its close to home....we though we would give it a try. The atmosphere was relaxed....music not too loud.....and we were served promptly. The waitress wasnt over familiar or over friendly, id say efficient. We didnt have starters. Our food came in good time. It was fresh and hot....and pretty tasty.....the chips were ok too......ive had better food......so yes id say it was overpriced for what we had......but i cant really fault it either. It was a basic burger.....that was cooked, fresh and hot! The puddings were a variation of sundaes.....i had a sticky toffee sunday...which was nearly £5......not worth that, i regretted my choice.....it wasnt good. Would we go back? Yes.....just for the fact its local....and all in all we enjoyed our burgers. I wouldnt go for 'an occassion' or recommend it for 'an occassion', but id say 'yes, try it if you simply fancy burger and chips'.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Rubbish, don't waste your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

There was a handful of people in the place when we were there yesterday 4pm. We ordered and received our food very quickly. Considering the menu states the beef is sourced locally and hand made burgers it tasted very processed to me. It was also pink with blood coming out of it so I sent it back asking them to put it back on the grill for a few more minutes. They sent me a new burger and it was just the same, pink & bloody. The chips were disgusting, tasted of cheap oil and were dripping in grease. The fryer was going the whole time we were there like they were par cooking a load of chips so that later the only had to toss them in oil for a few mins before serving. Certainly they didn't taste freshly cooked to me. This place was recommended to us by a friend and someone else told us not to go there. We didn't take the latter advice and we should have. Don't waste your time or your money on a gimmick, the food is crap, the service is lacksdaisical and the atmosphere was non existant.

Visited March 2013
uk
“Average burger inflated prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited Franks on a Friday evening at 6.00pm.. Didn't have a starter, burgers were "average" , ie better than McDonalds but not as good as I had hoped they would be. The service was "sloppy", the restaurant was empty and staff were hanging around and yet we waited ages for our table to be cleared after our burger. In the end, we had to get up and ask for our bill not bothering with a sweet. In conclusion, many people have waxed lyrical about this place, I just didn't share the positive experience and won't return.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Shame about the burgers!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Heard good things about Franks and left slightly disappointed, although it's certainly not the worst place in Northampton and we still had a good night.

The style of the place is good and it was fairly busy on a Saturday night. I'm a sucker for sharer starters especially when they involve spicy sauces, the wings were tasty and I would have liked to try the rest of the selection.

The burgers are presented well, with the fries in mini-chip pans and everything set on a wooden board. I had the Pig Out (Burger & BBQ Pulled Pork). The pulled pork was delicious, sadly though the actual burgers leave a lot to be desired. They're all quite dry and boring, and look more like a frozen supermarket job more than a 'Hamburger House' special.

Not far away from being ace, just needs a bit of effort on its main selling point really!

• Visited February 2013