“Generally very poor” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
Kingston upon Thames, England, United Kingdom
“Generally very poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

No rooms were ready for check-in at 12:30pm; receptionist "unable" to contact the housekeeper so she asked us to wait or come back. We were told that the housekeeper did not have a cordless phone or mobile, so the receptionist was reliant on the housekeeper to call her. Amusingly, once we'd waited for some 10-12 minutes and I raised the matter of the 15-minute service guarantee, the receptionist suddenly found herself able to ring the housekeeper on her mobile phone and, after a further 10-15 minutes, we had the room.

The room itself was minimally acceptable to sleep in, but very poor by hotel standards. The bathroom and bed linen were clean, but the following morning I found a pair of shorts and a pair of socks from a previous inhabitant strewn under the bed; this is in keeping with the general level of attention to detail shown throughout the hotel. The window latch was broken (room 223) and would not shut (thankfully I'd brought ear plugs); the beds were thin, hard and equipped only with hefty 10.5 tog duvets. Wasn't worth complaining about at 3am; we'd been told when we arrived the hotel was full and no change of rooms would have resolved the fundamental inadequacies of the place.

I have awarded two stars because the minimal level of service was achieved; the room was minimally fit for purpose insofar as I was able to be in it from 11pm to 7am. However, by the standards of twenty years of budget travel, this was in the bottom ten percent of the establishments I've stayed in for quality (there are a few in Morocco that are worse) and in the top ten percent for price.

The location was convenient, but the experience was very poor and I think we'll be going to Travelodge or Park Inn the next time we stay in Northampton.

Room Tip: Try one in a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
IbisNorthamptonGM, General Manager at Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Ibis in Northampton. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter. Kind regards, Piotr Latka - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I stay here few times a year because of the location and not too pricey,but this stay has not been a good one I think housekeeping was having time off. When I checked into my room there were long black hairs in the shower and the toilet was dirty.The bedlinen was fresh but the room was dusty and bits on carpet,how can u miss 5pence coin on floor and cereal bits. I went and complained to reception and said how sorry they were and would I like to change rooms and given a free drink. I declined the change of room cos I already cleaned the toilet myself with my wet wipes. I just asked for my room to given the once over the next day. Well that didn't happen and I really couldn't be bothered to complain again all they did is change towels and make bed everything else was not touched. I know its a budget hotel but I expect a clean room. Thank goodness for wet wipes because they come in very handy. Apart from that the reception staff were helpful and friendly and a good central location. Pot luck because I have stayed other times and everything was fine.

• Stayed August 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I will not be rushing back to Ibis, six years after the smoking ban was introduced the corridors still reek of cigarette smoke, is this an indication of how often they clean the carpets / paint the walls? the carpet in the bedroom whilst hoovered could have done with a proper (steam?) cleaning. One teabag per person for a 24 hour letting is by any standards particularly mean. The Bar staff overcharged me for a glass of Rose wine, when I later queried the cost I was told that they thought I had been served with an expensive RED!!!!! wine, this a drink served by them! The all you can eat breakfast whilst quite expensive @ £7.50 might have been OK except that you cannot get very much onto a seven inch teaplate and I do not think one ought to be getting up and down all the time whilst trying to enjoy breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IbisNorthamptonGM, General Manager at Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hotel is located more or less in the centre of the city and very close to the railway station. There is no air conditioning and with the window open it can be quite noisy but as I’d had more than a bit to drink that night I had no problem sleeping. And there may be quieter rooms that do not face the street.

The rooms are not a bad size compared to some Ibis hotels but they are by no means large. They are clean and modern but feel very basic. I felt more that I was staying in a hostel rather than a hotel. There is free Wi-Fi.

I pre-booked in advance and for the price I paid (£44 - breakfast and parking extra), was great value. Check-in was easy apart from the plastic key not working first time. It’s always disappointing to trudge to your room only to find you have to go back to reception to have the key fixed. And it does seem to be a bit of a feature of this hotel.

Overall, a great choice if you are looking for somewhere cheap and clean to stay in the town centre overnight but if you are looking for something more special then this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis in Northampton and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Piotr Latka - General Manager
Hatfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Having never stayed at IBIS before, I was looking forward to seeing the quality of the hotels they offer. Whilst the food was good, it was clean and rooms a good size, the biggest downfall was the COMMUNAL ironing board. I had called reception who to ask for an iron and board but was told they don't keep them and instead have a communal board on the other end of each floor. It was not a room but in the passage way outside other people's rooms. There was nowhere to hang items I had finished and thus they got creased again. THere was no privacy and this was annoying late at night. THe iron also had little water in it and there was no watter bottle to be seen. I refused to have to go all the way back to my room to get more water. It was embarrassing and inconvenient. Even TRavel Lodge at a third of the price offer an iron and board to your room. This tarnished my stay and given I travel on business at my own expense, I will not pay almost £50 to have to iron in the corridoor. Travel Lodge will instead get my business in future and I I will save money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your experience of the hotel. I’ll look into this personally. Kind regards, Piotr Latka - General Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

On arrival I was told my room wasnt booked. After twenty minutes it came to light a room had been booked just was 'on another clipboard'. The lift is operated by your room key, mine needed to be reactivated to work. My room was clean and tidy though my neighbours spent much of the day/night arguing and running up the corridor.
The TV needed to be rescanned to work and the window view was a roof top of air con units. I was staying on business and the breakfast was ok. Seemed a lot of people helped themselves so why I paid is beyond me as I was told to pay before eating but with no one checking others it seemed badly managed.
Checkout was a nightmare. My parking wasnt validated properly twice so leaving the carpark caused much frustration.
Ok hotel but needs more work.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I am sorry to hear that you didn’t find the service at our hotel in Northampton up to your expectations. We pride ourselves on our staff training, so this is something I will be looking into personally. Kind regards, Piotr Latka- General Manger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The location is pretty central but at the quieter end of town. Being situated on the top floors of a now mostly defunct shopping centre the rooms don't get any noise from outside. I have stayed here over 20 times now and have had a few noisy nights from within the hotel mostly on Fridays and Saturdays with drunken guests creating a bad atmosphere. They have added extra security who now roam the corridors ensuring peace and quiet, and the hotel gets top marks for standing by their "if we don't fix it it's free" policy offering me a free night on several occasions when I experienced problems with noise.

Parking is not overly cheap for the area, but is very conveniently situated behind the hotel in the same building.

Check in is quick and efficient and rooms are typical Ibis standard, with bathrooms clean and up to date. The lack of air conditioning is problematic on hot nights, and the heaters don't add much on a cold night. Lifts are slow at busy times.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lifts unless you want a long walk
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
IbisNorthamptonGM, General Manager at Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis Hotel in Northampton. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about heating, which we are addressing.

Kind regards,

Piotr Latka

Been to Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre? Share your experiences!