“oh dear” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“oh dear”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

my wife and i are locals in kislingbury now for 3 yrs and have been to this pub twice whilst living here. from the high st the pub looks really nice full of character and looks like a lovely asset to the village, however the landlady has a reputation of being somewhat rude . the food however is without doubt on the last occasion we ate there was fantastic . our compliments to the chef , who clearly knows his job exceptionally well.
basically, in my opinion, a customer service course may be a good idea , advanced level and quick , meanwhile we go to the sun or the cromwell , service with a smile , you should try it. we wont be back and will spread the word

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Chrissienorthants, Landlord at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Gossip spreads like a disease, as did the plague. This gentleman who states he lives in the village is known to me, he put his principles to one side to dine here on a Groupon Voucher and bought his "Chips" in with him. He most definately does not know the landlady at all, she is hardworking, kind, considerate and compassionate, has raised over £10,000 for charity. She is outspoken, does not suffer fools or rude people gladly, (why should she) if she had something to say to you, she would say it to your face and then it would be forgotten about as she does not bear grudges. She would never write rude or insulting things on an internet site, which I thought was for reviewing dining establishments not an opportunity to personally insult other human beings. I have always JOKED with regulars that My policy is that "our prices are set at a certain level to keep a certain sort of person out, unfortunately on ocassion we do fail".....unfortunately offering a dining deal has opened our doors to people who would not normally have chosen to dine at this sort of establishment and it has at times, not been a pleasant experience for us either, so perhaps I should actually make it our Policy in future ! All diners here have an opportunity to speak to us face to face with any gripe" they may or may not have", Should anyone have any reservation about visiting us, we would welcome an opportunity for them to pop in, be shown around, have a chat with us over a complimentary drink and make up their own minds. The Landlord

“disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I got taken here by my family and we went with a Groupon voucher, I was looking forward to this as the pub had won an award for its food. When I got to the pub there was no one else there and it was so empty, and at lunch time I expected it to be busy. We ordered our food and the man behind the bar was lovely and chatty with a good sense of humour, the food was also lovely and presented well. There was a group of us sat in eating our meal and the woman kept constantly coming over to watch us, feeling like she wanted us to leave as soon as we finished our meals. She was very rude and it felt like she did not want to interact with customers who were going to her pub. I was so shocked with the way she spoke down to us and was very disappointed as I have heard so many good reviews from this place. I was so unsatisfied with the customer service we received.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
We are sorry you were disappointed with your visit, the Landlord is a Joker and the bar where you would have dined at lunch time and it is most definately his domain. If the landlady was coming over to your table it would have been to make sure you were OK, that your meal was OK, you had drinks, clearing plates etc. not as you possibly thought that she wanted you to leave, she was definately not trying to be rude but possibly trying to make sure you were looked after. If this is a genuine reviewer, we would rather they had spoken to us in person and we would appreciate an opportunity to discuss the misunderstanding with them, should they wish to contact us in person.
“Excellent !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I would like to say that I have been going to the Olde Red Lion for the past 18months and have never had a bad experience. In fact quite the opposite, fantastic food and presentation, service second to none, and as for Chris and Paul you could not wish to meet a nicer couple. They go that extra mile to satisfy the customer, always so obliging. I often dine with my partner but also take family and friends to this country pub as I know they will be impressed, I dined here last saturday evening and then again for sunday lunch, which I have to say was superb! It is just like home to home, so cosy and welcoming. Please give this country pub a visit, you will not be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Whilst diners return here again and again, there was only one person who dined here last Saturday evening and again on Sunday, so we thank her for taking the time to post this Review and we look forward to seeing you and your guests on many more ocassions.
“re review”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were not groupon diners when we had our bad experience.We also had our candle blown out and the lights switched off.The food was good,the restaurant was cosy.I cannot beleive how this landlady can fabricate things like she does.There are so many complaints about you,dont you ever stop to think that it might be you and not the customers !!!!!!!!

Visited October 2012
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
The same people continually post nasty reviews on this web site, because it is in their nature to do so, this is further proof as the reviewer has another review posted only approx 8 weeks ago. Firstly the restaurant is cosy, because the person you refer to makes it so, the food is good because she is also behind the standards we require in the kitchen, the toilets are spotless because she cleans them. Instead of hiding behind their user name, perhaps they would like to telephone or pop in and call the person they refer to, a Liar to her face......because she would be happy to take an oath to the fact that the facts as we represent them are total truth and nothing but the truth, we can back up everything we state within a 72 hour period because we have 16 CCTV cameras with voice recorderding PIRs in the building. Did the landlord imagine the lady in the party calling the landlady names before entering the restaurant, a member of the party saying lets p..s them off ? and further more banging on our window with a walking stick after they had left the bulding, all of which as stated in our previous response is appalling. The only time we would blow out a candle is if it had totally burnt through and it was only the oil that was alight, which would start to smoke and smell.....the burn time on a t-light being approx 3 hours if the candle was lit from new. If you did not enjoy yourselves here, or had misgivings about coming in the first place, then that is OK, but to post malicious reviews with intent is not a pleasant trate and we would therefore question your integrity, having felt a need to write yet another nasty review inside of 8 weeks. We have a 4 out of 5 rating with Trip Advisor, 82 EXCELLENT REVIEWS and 18 VERY GOOD ONES, are all these Reviewers also deemed to be Liars.
“Review of review!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I was interested to note a recent November bad review. As I was on the pub on the same evening I would would suggest readers beware. The response from the owner was a complete pack of lies. Whilst our meal was fine I was total disgusted by the way fellow diners were treated.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
As I we dont know what Review you refer to we cannot comment, other than in this case responding myself....I the landlady has never ever told a lie either on this web site or otherwise and I resent the fact that someone who does not know me, would suggest I did, because it is not in my nature to lie, I am truthful to the point, being truthful however often gets one in as much trouble as lieing.......but I would rather be dammed as being honest than as a liar......But I will not put up with anyone being rude to us in our home, neither would the reviewer and believe me, not everyone is pleasant, but thankfully most are. As the reviewer implys they were eves dropping they possibly did not hear the full extent of the conversation, why else would someone post such comments......its all too easy to for what the previous reviewer (god bless him!) called " sleepless trolls" to post continuing nasty reviews into any period of good or great reviews for any business they may wish to discredit for whatever their reason.