“New Year's Eve” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #162 of 403 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: The Swan at Lamport, set in the picturesque Northamptonshire countryside, is a traditional country pub-grill providing guests with delicious food in a beautiful location. Our delightful terrace, cosy lounge and snugs alongside a more modern dining room make The Swan at Lamport perfect for any occasion. Our Steak, Chops and More Menu provides guests with a variety of steak cuts, chops, burgers and favourites such as pan-fried duck breast, pan-seared fillet of seabass and not to mention our fantastic Sunday roasts. Situated just a few miles off of the A14 to Kettering, The Swan at Lamport is easily accessible and well worth a visit. Also, don't forget to check out our 2 for £15 menu, which provides great food at a reasonable price. Why not book a table now and experience The Swan at Lamport for yourself? When visiting, don't forget to pick up your McManus Loyalty Card for current deals and promotions.
Northampton, United Kingdom
“New Year's Eve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our last minute booking for a table for 4 resulted in a most pleasant evening. The Swan does not usually open on New Year's Eve so this was something of a trial by the management. The restaurant was busy but not heaving, nice ambiance.

A very nice/sensible touch was that you could order the New Year set meal or from the a la carte menu. Reasonably priced and with choices we could all enjoy we chose the set.

We were a little disconcerted by the "onion soup" which came in a tiny teacup and although delicious was tepid. However,the starters, main courses and puds that followed were all excellent. The Swan was only open for its usual hours so no "seeing in the New Year" which was fine for us as we are just a short, though very dark, walk away.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Christmas lunch 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Have not been before but highly recommended so five of the family went for Christmas Day lunch. Excellent meal and all five really enjoyed it. Atmosphere was great and tables spaced out and looked good. Service was friendly and what you would expect. No complaints with 5 course meal and wine was not over priced. Sat afterwards in comfortable lounge area for coffee and mince pies. Cannot comment on standard menu as not been before but friends who live in Market Harborough often eat there and also say Sunday lunch is excellent. Would definitely go again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“What have McManus done to this place!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I haven't been to the Lamport Swan for about 6 years. It's name was always synonymous with quality and exciting food, excellent service and high standards. It was always a touch pricey but you really did get what you paid for.

When I was told a table had been booked here for a family meal I was excited. How wonderful. I looked forward to an array of exciting dishes to choose from and coming out full and extremely satisfied.

The first warning light was the extremely dirty wine glass my Sauvignon was served in. Old lipstick so thick you could see the imprint of the lips! We were served at the bar by a very scruffy man and I noticed that everyone behind the bar and most of the waiting staff were in their own clothes. All looked as though they'd been about to settle in front of the TV and had been called in at the last minute - ripped jeans, slouchy jumpers and Calvin Kleins showing above waistbands!! Most customers had put more effort in to their attire than the staff.

In the restaurant the music was very loud and we struggled to hear each other over it.

The Menu - how disappointing! Pub food galore. Soup, pâté, fish & chips, sausage & mash, burger & chips and steak!! All the dishes on the menu had been done to death before on countless other pub menu's. Dull, Dull, Dull. I struggled to find something that I didn't cook myself at home and eventually fell back on an old favourite - rump steak. What a mistake. My piece of meat had sinew running all the way through it and was incredibly chewy.

Mum had the roast cod loin with champ and champagne chowder. The chowder was thin and only contained clams but her loin was big and the sauce very tasty. Of all the dishes we ordered this was certainly the best presented and tastiest.

What a shame such a fantastically situated, well known restaurant has been turned into an expensive pub!!! You can eat this food better prepared with smarter staff and more ambient surroundings at a more reasonable price elsewhere....

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Very good just slightly let down by slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We had booked our table for 6:30 and at that time the place was virtually empty. We had booked for a party of four but in fact there was five of us and they happily changed tables without a problem.

Our meals were all very good and the ambiance of the smart restaurant very pleasant. The tables are well spaced and you did not feel that others were able to overhear your conversation. Too many restaurants try to fit in too many tables these days.

The services was however a little slow and we were glad we had not booked a later time when the restaurant became very busy with parties. I am not sure how they were served but I suspect even slower than us. However they did apologise for the delay when we came to pay the bill without any prompting.

I will definitely be returning as I liked the menu and the quality of the food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Poor Effort”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

As a committed foodie, I was looking forward to taking a first date for a Friday lunch at The Swan in Lamport. Fortunately my lunch guest didn't have the same level of detail that I do when it comes to dining. On arrival, Friday 29th November, the welcome was average but efficient. we were given a choice of table which I liked. On first impression the overall ambience was pleasant, and suited to the expected dining experience. We were offered the standard menu and a printed Chef's Specials. Having checked the menu on-line whilst booking it was expected. However the soup of the day and the chef's pie were not explained. We ordered drinks, where I encountered the first signal that for what we were about to receive we were not truly grateful. I had ordered a tall glass with lots of ice and a wedge of lime. I actually got a tall dirty glass with a few cubes of ice and a wedge of lemon. The ice and lemon I could forgive but not the dirty glass. I called the waiter, who apologised and went to get me a replacement. On return we asked for the soup and pie special. My guest ordered the chicken jerk kebabs and I had the King scallops to start with her having the chef's chicken and chorizo pie and me the T-bone to follow. Firstly my scallop starter, when it did arrive, was disappointing. The King scallop was more a Prince scallop. Cut into 5, 5mm slices. The caramelisation was non existent, probably due to the fact they were so thinly sliced. If the chef had tried to get some colour they would have been so over cooked. The cauliflower puree was bland beyond bland, the shallot garnish was little more than half a teaspoon and the inch square piece of bacon was out of proportion with the small portion of scallop. I had to take nothing more than a morsel of the bacon or shallot with each piece of the shell fish to make it last.

On the reverse my date had two significant kebabs, salad and mango salsa. I did try to make my starter last the distance but they were so out of balance it was impossible. It would be strongly recommended that the chef look at portion size and at least try to make them of equal size so all diners can eat together.

Having finished the starter we both retired to the facilities. Whilst I can't speak for the ladies the gents were disgraceful. The toilet was dirty, with stains around the pan. I washed my hands only to find the hand drier not working initially. I did get the knack. I had to hold one finger over the censor whilst drying the other hand then alternate. I couldn't help notice whilst labouring to dry my hands that the state of the wall behind the radiator was filthy. Overall the standard of décor was poor and gents could really do with a lick of paint.

At this point, if I hadn't been on a first date I would have asked for the bill and left. On reflection it was a shame I didn't. On returning to the table we decided to have a second drink. I excused myself to the waitress at the next table but was ignored. Slightly raising my voice, in case she hadn't heard I was met with an over the shoulder response of "I'll be with you in a minute." No eye contact, no how can I help.

A few minutes later our original waiter returned, but not until I had caught the eye of the third waiter at the reception, who was on the phone. We ordered the same drinks. My tonic water arrived and low and behold it was served in a dirty glass and a wedge of lime so old it had turned yellow. I ventured to the bar showed the staff member and voiced my displeasure that having had to return my first drink, I would expect to second one to be presented in the same way.

The main courses arrived eventually. There was an apology for the wait. Sadly we weren't told whilst anxiously waiting that there was delay. My guest was pleased with her main course which was a bonus. My T-bone was again sadly lacking. I asked for medium rare. Whilst it was very medium rare at the T-bone the other end was well done. This was because the steak had been cut unevenly. I definitely had the thin end of the wedge. In part the sirloin was chewy and didn't deliver on the promise made on the menu. The menu also promised thrice cooked chips. The chips I was served were clearly previously frozen. My expectation was they had been thrice cooked on the premises not from Iceland.

My steak was served on a wooden board. The scourge of a steak. You can preheat a wooden board unlike a plate. Thus within 5 minutes I was eating stone cold steak and tomato.

Finishing the meal I then went to pay. No word of did your enjoy your meal sir, no mention of thank you, no mention of we look forward to seeing you again. It could probably be assumed from this I will not be returning, and like the cliché, I shall ensure all my friends and colleagues are also aware of the very poor dining experience at the Swan at Lamport.

• Visited November 2013