“Take the rough with the smooth” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Langham Hotel to your Saves list
The Langham Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 - 5 Langham Place, Barrack Road, Northampton NN2 6AA, England   |
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
Wicklow, Ireland
“Take the rough with the smooth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you're looking for a standard hotel experience, this one is probably not for you.

Yes, the car parking is chaotic, the streetside rooms too noisy, the staff occasionally abrupt, the breakfasts TOO big, the reception always closed, the decor a bit grubby and the overall experience a bit haphazard. But despite all that, there is a charm to the place. I'd be happy to stay again.

We had three rooms booked. The room overlooking the road was too noisy, but the other two, at the back of the hotel, were fine. The twin brothers confused us for a while, thinking they were the same person. Mary was charming and extremely helpful. Having our evening meal as a take-away in the bar was a unique experience.

Comparisons wit Fawlty Towers are immediately obvious. Perhaps that is part of the charm also.

We spent a subsequent night in a swish new hotel near Stansted for a similar price. I'd take the Langham any time.

Not for the fussy-minded. An experience worth having.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear much quieter
Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Benfleet, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My son and I stayed for one night on Friday 30th August. We arrived at 7.40 p.m and parked in the adjacent street as our satnav had directed us to The Langham House which is in the adjacent street, and having parked there we decided to walk across the busy dual carriage road to the Hotel and found that the Hotel was already locked. I pressed the bell and the door was opened by a chap in a white shirt, tie and glasses who directed us to reception. At reception, I thought it was the same chap who asked our name (and spooked me a bit as I couldn't understand how he had got to the reception ahead of us so quick!) and if we wished to park in the hotel car park as it was full and would have to move it early in the morning to allow other guests out, so I said we would leave it where it was. He was then joined by another chap in the same attire! (mystery solved, identical twins!!), who gave us our room key and directions to Room 19 in the attic I believe as it was at the top of the hotel. We had booked a twin room but there were 3 single beds in the room although one was in an adjoining room with tea making facilities. The rooms were clean and adequately furnished and decorated but the noise from the road was horrendous. The windows were falling out (literally - photos to follow) and I could not close either the top or bottom sash window. The bathroom was huge with a large shower but atlas, the grout and sealant had mildew, the shower head was thick with grime and the external shower door, limescale and soapscum, my biggest nightmare is the bath/shower facilities in any Hotel/B&B, why oh why do they not pay more attention to this area is beyond me! As I knew we had booked the last twin room, I knew there was no point in asking to move so had to make the best of it. We decided to go to the bar to see if we could get some bar food. One twin was in the bar area (twin 1), reading the paper and enjoying a beer and watching sky news, twin 2 was serving at the bar. We were told that bar food isn't available, crisps and peanuts only, but local takeaway leaflets are available and delivery is welcomed. I asked twin 2 for a glass of red wine and was told this was in the cellar but after he went to find it, he returned to say they didn't have any, only white or rose available. My son asked for soda water and lime and again was told this was in the cellar! but this time he returned with a soda syphon! We sat down at a table - No conversation or pleasantries was attempted by twin 1, in fact we were completely ignored! and I don't think I saw the twins speak to each other at all during our visit!!!. We left after one drink as the atmosphere was most odd. Twin 2 was by that time sitting in the Dining Room watching sport on the TV in there (eerie - they obviously do not sit with each other either!). After a horrendous nights sleep, where we were woken on numerous occasions by traffic noise and passing drunken revellers going up and down the street (fast food outlet not far along the road), I was glad the morning had arrived. Now after all this moaning I am glad to say that the breakfast was brilliant (no service with a smile from the twin serving us though and no 'good morning' when we entered the dining room!) I had cereal and then scrambled eggs, bacon and beans and I must say the scrambled egg was the best I have ever tasted. The full English breakfast (which I saw go to another customer) looked huge too! and I didn't hear anyone complain. Accompanied by tea, toast and orange juice we were well set up for the day. I did see a note on the desk which apologised for the windows and stated the hotel was in discussion with the council and contractors regarding new windows but were having problems due to the hotel being in a conservation area, so I assume the window fault will be rectified eventually. Words of advice to the hotel -1) invest in some Cillit Bang products which will remove the mould, limescale and soap scum from the showers and 2) please be more pleasant to your customers, a good morning and a smile will go along way to making us feel welcome and more likely to return in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night to see some family with my friend. The room was what you expect for a cheap hotel but the staff were disgusting! The car park is chaos and if the hotel is busy you have to be available to move your car at the drop of a hat.. Which is ok sometimes but when you get a rude demanding phone call from staff to move your car then the car your blocking in had got out anyway it's a bit annoying to say the least! I did not appreciate dirty looks from staff in the morning and especially was not impressed by a phone call at 10:50 from the owner telling us we must get out now! Check out is at 11 am by the way and I cannot see a need for such a rude phone call at that time! All in all I have never experienced such shocking customer service and I believe it was we were young! So if you don't mind snarling staff this is the place for you!

• Stayed August 2013
Boksburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We booked this hotel because of a last minute closure of the Hotel next door, So it wasnt researched and we were desperate as we were over from South Africa to attend my cousins wedding. We arrived and were welcomed in by Mary and shown to our room, having just spent a fantastic week in London at the Queens Park this place was really a disappointment, the windows are falling apart and were very difficult to open, England was in the grips of a heatwave and we needed air, there was a fan in the room but this was the extent of the air conditioning. we had to prop the windows open as they could not stay open on their own. To top it all the heater was on in the bathroom and I was told it could not be turned off. FANTASTIC IN SUMMER!!. The breakfast was massive and to be honest a waste of good food, half the size portion would be quite sufficient, but it was really tasty. we only really came back to the hotel in the evenings to sleep, although the twins seem to be searly they are actually very nice and they do have planning permission in to change the windows for a new type sash window with a wooden frame. It is a bit like stepping back in time though and could really benefit from a revamp. I know times are tough but a coat of paint goes a long way to brightening a room up.
In saying all this we did enjoy the stay and the beds were clean and comfy, so what more do you want?
One other thing, on the day of the wedding we got back to get ready and were told that our room had not been serviced yet, this didnt actually bother us as we had made our beds and tidied up before we went out but were told a few minutes later that we should leave our room NOW so they could do the service, which I thought a bit rude as we were getting ready and it was 15h30, not like it was in the morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed overnight for an Engagement party. My room was very drab and dreary with one small window that could not be opened and no air conditioning but still charged at the same rate as my friends room which had a better functional window. The shower was old and dated and dribbled a thin spray. We were told breakfast finished promptly at 9.30 on a Sunday morning which is not ideal after a party night. We asked could we possibly take breakfast later but were flatly refused even though the hotel was minimally occupied. We asked for a late check out past the 11 o'clock stated and were refused as we were told our rooms were needed. It was plainly obvious the hotel was mostly deserted. No guests arrived at all on the sunday as we stayed past 11 o'clock waiting to be collected by a taxi that the hotel refused to call, saying we could do it ourselves! The hotel is tired, dated and drab. The hotel staff are not there to offer customer service. It is overpriced and one to avoid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Oundle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

That's actually quite an understatement. We booked the Langham because we were attending a wedding in a nearby village. When booking we were advised we could arrive when we liked. We got there at about 1.30am and the too was locked. Ringing the bell got us nowhere. Eventually we telephoned and were let in by a very angry lady who demanded to know why we hadn't turned up earlier. We explained that we'd been at a wedding and that the chap we'd booked the room with had assured us we could turn up anytime. 'That's my son,' she said. 'He wouldn't have said that.'

So, after telling us off for going to the wedding then accusing us of lying, they gave us a room in which the shower had had the temperature control removed. So we got to enjoy a tepid shower too. Lovely.

Finally, to add insult to injury they charged us for breakfast which we'd already told them we didn't want. Then said they'd refund it, but didn't.

Unless they run out of park benches in Northampton, I wouldn't recommend the Langham.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I spent one night here when staying for a friends birthday party. First impressions were that it needed renovating. The reception area isnt particularly pleasant but is clean and functional, although not staffed. A ring of the bell brought a very pleasant lady who checked me in and pointed me to my ground floor room.

The room was fairly large, with hot drinks, biscuits, tv, a hair dryer and an ironing board available. The walls and carpets are quite old fashioned, as is the duvet covers etc. A bit like staying with your grandparents... clean but lacking style. Bathroom was clean and functional, although you cant alter the shower temperature. It was not a problem for me but it could be a bit hot for some, especially children.

The bed was comfy enough. The pillows could be better but were acceptable. I certainly slept well enough, and despite being next to the car park I wasn't disturbed.

Breakfast was plentiful if a touch greasy, and pleasantly served. Cereals, full English, coffee and juice were served.

All in all, a very average hotel but at such low prices I cant complain. It certainly offers good value for money and I'd stay again for a brief stay where all I need is a shower and a bed.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Langham Hotel? Share your experiences!