“THEY CANCELLED MY BOOKING!” 1 of 5 stars

Park View Guest House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   22 Haxby Road, York YO31 8JX, England   |
Ranked #169 of 216 York B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“THEY CANCELLED MY BOOKING!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I booked a single room for this Saturday (16th June), and they called me today (14th June) to tell me that the room I had booked was in the top floor of the house and the roof had started leaking therefore they could not offer me the room anymore!

Now, I'm not one to call people liars, but i find this a little suspicious. What I actually believe happened is that they either overbooked, or given that I had booked a room for one night only, and a York race weekend usually requires a two night stay, there was a fault with the booking system on their website which didn't charge me for two nights, they realised this then decided to take their room back! Needless to say, I'm seriously p*$£&d off!

They did give me numbers to five other B&B's.....ALL FULLY BOOKED!

As it's a race weekend I have found it near impossible to book another room at such short notice as most require a two night minimum stay, therefore I have had to book a room at TRIPLE the cost!

SO THANKS PARK VIEW FOR SCREWING UP MY WEEKEND!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Forres
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We spend 2 nights here. The room was very clean and tidy. Tastefully decorated. Hosts friendly and very helpful. Beds comfortable. Very reasonably priced for such a location.

It is located near(15 minutes walk) all the shopping area, Minster and eating places.

Room Tip: If you have a bad back or don't like stairs, stay in Room 1 which is on the ground floor (also n...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Wirral, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stopped for one night during may.
We were given room 4, a nice spacious family room even though it was just the 2 of us. Room was clean, bed was comfy and shower facilities were adequate.
There was a little confusion over payment, we thought we had already paid through LateRooms who we booked with but upon checking our confimation email realised that LateRooms do not charge your card, merely take details.
Dining/reception room clean and tidy too.. Breakfast, whilst certainly not the best, was adequate,
Staff/owners were friendly and keen to please... Would possibly stay again for a similar price, very close to city centre and the free parking was a massive plus.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

This is a typical b&b/ guesthouse, the rooms are decorated in a more modern way than the rest of the guesthouse which feels like a standard house. However the thing that elevates the standard hugely is the staff. When I wanted to check in early they said no problem, when I could only pay cash, again no problem. When I was late to breakfast they made me a breakfast even though they had stopped cooking! They gave me a map and showed me how to get to town, a 10 minute walk away. They called a taxi for me when it was time to leave also. This is a family run business and it shows, the staff are all warm, welcoming and really made my stay. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012
basildon england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from York had to write this up quickly.
Made to feel very welcome here all the guys great.
My Terry really loved the breakfast, full English, lots of toast tea or coffee.
Room at the top 7
Weather was horrid but on Sunday we sat at the little table provided and had a cosy meal watch the telly.
Lots of tea and coffee provided also biscuits that was a first.
15 mins slow walk to the town so nice and close.
Room cleaned every day fresh towels.
You will need to book before you go as the were full.

Stayed April 2012
United kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Very nice place to stay for the long weekend the hosts were great nothing was to much breakfast was filling and lovely the room was clean and modern. We had the room with the big TV which was great so we could watch. all our soaps on the Friday Parking was a bonus as York as normally bad for parking but the park view offers free private parking will be back for our weeding anniversary.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
redhaze2003@aol.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

After reading some of the reviews on here we were a bit dubious, but really we had nothing to worry about. We thought it was great. Our room was super, very spacious, bright, lovely and clean - perhaps I should keep it a secret, oh go on then, it was no. 4 - overlooking the park. From reading the other reviews I think this must be the best room to stay in. (I think the owner took one look at my 6ft 4" husband and decided to give us their largest!!!) The breakfast was very nice, all the usual things (oh except cereals) - as good as any we've had elsewhere. I have nothing negative to say about the place at all. Its location was ideal, just a ten minute stroll to town, down a road lined with "interesting" shops - and the fact that you can park your car in a private parking space, well that is a bonus in York. We paid £105 for two nights (through late rooms) - and I do not think you can get better value than this. We loved York, there is so much to see and do. We went in the Minster, which of course is awesome - also the Treasurers House (including the cellar trip!!!) There are a few National Trust properties in the area, great if you are a member (as we are). The only thing we did not manage was a ghost walk - maybe next time. I am already looking forward to our next trip to York - and would definitely stay at Park View again (providing we could have room 4 again, haha)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Park View Guest House? Share your experiences!