“Bad service, burnt food” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #329 of 714 Restaurants in York
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Dessert
York
“Bad service, burnt food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Me and my friend visited the Earl Grey Tea Rooms, and I have to say it was a terrible experience.
The first thing that was disappointing was the staff- no smiles, I felt like they were trying to get us seated, fed and out of the place ASAP. My friend went to the toilet and pretty much as soon as she had left I was asked by one waitress if we were ready to order- even though my friend obviously wasn't there! My friend came back from the toilets and again we were asked if we were ready- my friend hadn't even had a chance to look at the menu! And yet again- they gave us a few minutes and came right back over. We were approached by three different waitresses! I was feeling very annoyed by this point and wanted to leave- I only stayed because I was with my friend.
I ordered a pot of tea and a teacake. My friend ordered tea and a slice of cake. Her cake arrived over 5 mins before my teacake- I was wondering if they had forgotten it. When it finally arrived it was burnt- absolutely black on the underside. I was starving by this point and ate it anyway. For £2.20 its an absolute rip off.
I did tell the woman on the til before paying and she gave me a refund straight away- thats probably the only positive element to this whole sorry experience.
This place needs to focus more on customer service; people want to see staff who are smiling and friendly and who don't harass them every 2 minutes. Won't be going here again. Ever.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great location and lovely cakes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stopped by for some tea and cakes. Great setting and large choice of tea and cakes plus other refreshments. The cakes we had were fantastic and a great view of the Shambles watching the world go by. Good atmosphere.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hampshire
“Excellent food in historic surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This tea room has bags of history and atmosphere. An excellent menu and specials board. Friendly, responsive staff.

Visited December 2013
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

ordered house blend tea for two and 2 slices of cake. I knew it would be on the pricey side but actually we got 3 cups of excellent tea each out of the pot and the cake was delicious

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wigan, UK
“Lovely afternoon tea overlooking the Shambles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Popped in for a cup of tea, sat in an upstairs window overlooking the Shambles.

Had a traditional Cream tea, two huge Scones with Jam and Cream, we had one each, and a lovely house Blend of tea.

Great friendly staff, our food and everyone elses looked good.

Would certainly recommend this for afternoon tea.

• Visited November 2013