“Amazing food, nice setting but please don't rush me out the door!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Akbars

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, nice setting but please don't rush me out the door!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friend recommended Akbars having been to the Manchester branch and I was not disappointed! We walked in on a Wednesday night around 6pm without having booked and were seated straight away. The menu is really excellent here and has a lot of choice with the old favourites as well. I love paneer dishes and was pleased to see they had some on the menu including the Lamb Paneer dish I chose which was just delicous!

Portions are generous but the quality much better than your standard Indian restaurant. The lamb I had was tender and you got a lot of meat in the dish, not just a bowl of sauce. We had rice, chapatis and a naan, all of which were excellent. If you're going with a big group, definitely go for a family naan just to see it brought out - it's enormous!

I normally never have dessert at an Indian as I'm normally stuffed and also they don't have much to offer but for once I left room and had the Gulab Jamon - a favourite of mine - and they were really delicious! I'd highly recommend putting down that last bit of naan and saving some room for them.

Price wise I was really impressed by Akbars - not sure if it's just I'm used to London prices but for the quality of meal I had it was good value. You're looking at £2-4 for a starter, £8-11 for a main dish and about £2-4 for a dessert.

You do need to get there early as there were a fair few people in when we arrived at 6 mid week but by the time it was rammed and there was a queue out the door!

My only gripe? We were practically shoved out the door to make way for the next customers who were queuing at the door - our bill was slapped on the table whilst we were midway through dessert and hadn't even asked for it, and they were clearing up around my friend as she was sat at the table putting her coat on. It left a slightly mercenary taste to what had been a nice evening and a fantastic meal. Shame they couldn't give us another minute!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Fabulous value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have eaten at Akbars in Manchester, Newcastle and now York. They are all the same. Excellent service regardless of how busy they are. You many have to remind your waiter about your drinks order - we did - but only once and he, and his manager, were extremely sorry, but not sorry enough for a free drink. However, that aside, the meal was fabulous as usually and great value for money. Lovely ambience.

Visited March 2013
London
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Good food and good ambience. Excellent service with friendly staff. Would visit again when we visit York next.

Visited March 2013
“Always delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Myself and my partner tend to go out for an indian meal quite often and having tried several indian restaurants in town Akbars is by far our favourite place to dine out.

The restaurant is decorated lovely and the staff are always very polite and attentive.

We have been back several times now and feel very welcome each time we return.

The food is always without fail. My favourite is the fish pakora for starter and lamp chops are delicious also.

For mains we tend to opt for the baltis. The garlic and chilli and the lamb and keema balti's are amazing and keep me wanting more.

You will never leave feeling hungry after ordering a naan bread which comes in a generous size. Dont think we have managed to finish a full one yet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“Love curry - love Akbars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Been here twice now, once on a Friday and once on a Tuesday, and both nights were busy. The food is really really good and they'll happily cater for your taste preferences - and you absolutely must have the family nan! For me, the only negative (and it's not a big one) is that they play Cliff Richards' Congratulations and other Happy Birthday tunes when they're told it's a special celebration meal. Gets a bit wearing after the 4th time of hearing it on a busy night! However, don't let that out you off - you'll get a superb meal, reasonably priced (though drinks are quite dear) and will want to keep coming back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere