“Lovely little break” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in York
Nottinghamshire
“Lovely little break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Lovely break with my husband. Room was large and clean, bathroom was brill, large bath with fab overhead shower which was so powerful it about took my head off :-)
Large size complimentary items like shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion. Complimentary use of massive thick white robes. Tea and coffee making facilities were good with a cafetiere for the coffee. Iron, ironing board and hairdryer all available in room. Ate in the bistro which was lovely although quite pricey, but you pay for what you get and my husband said it was the best steak he has ever had. Only thing we didn't really like was having to pay £10 to park when they had ample parking, but this would not put us off returning.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

The Hotel Du Vin formula delivers again. Quirky building, decent bistro and a good location just outside the city walls. What was exceptional was the service provided in making my booking and the follow through upon arrival. great!!

• Stayed February 2011
Hexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We would recommend this hotel! From previous reviews, I was expecting a tiny car park, but it if guests park sensibly, there is plenty of room. The staff made us feel very welcome. We were shown to our room and it was fabulous – walk in shower, large bath, lovely toiletries and a very comfortable bed. Despite the hotel being on the roadside, the room was very quiet.
The bar is well stocked and for malt whisky connoisseurs, there are many to choose from. Just a shame that the fire was not lit.
The service at breakfast was disappointing though – we had to ask for everything and the staff did not seem to know who was serving who. The food was great though.
At checkout, we asked if we could leave the car in the car park so that we could walk into York – this was not a problem!
In summary, a fabulous hotel. They just need to get the breakfast service sorted!

Bristol, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

I have just returned from the Hotel du Vin in York. We were put off by the car parking charge and therefore parked our car in the Park and Ride. When we arrived, it felt like the hotel was a little out of town. However we found the walk into tour very quick and easy (10 minutes top).

We had a breakfast included deal and the quality of the breakfast was high. The chocolate croissants were to die for. At all times, service was very good.

Our hotel room was very modern and spacious. The hospitality tray was very welcome. Whilst we could not fault the room itself, its proximity to the kitchen (immediately above it) left something to be desired. On Saturday night (at 11.30pm) we were treated to drum and base pumping out from the hotel kitchen. Two complaints to reception did not dim the noise. We were similarly greeted to a wake up call at 7.20 on Monday morning. When we complained, the hotel answer was to recommend we stay in another room next time.

The noise from the kitchens is entirely within the hotels' control (they could ban music from the kitchen) and it was disappointing that they did not address this issue.

I would use the Hotel du Vin again on the proviso that we had another room. The good definately outweighs the bad.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Very good hotel, excellent rooms, helpful staff and good food in the restaurant.
I'd recommend staying here if you're coming to York for the weekend. The DBB deal is great value.
Reception/check in was good and we were shown to our room, not just given a key and told what floor it was on. The room was great and the bed was very comfy. The bar is quite small, but there are a couple of study type rooms where you can take your drink. so no problem there. Drink prices about what you'd expect for a hotel.
Food in the restaurant is very good with an amazing wine list (abeit a bit pricy). Breakfast was also great and they serve it 'til 11.00 at weekends (a nice touch).
If I were to nitpick, then £10 to park your car and a 10% surcharge added to your restaurent bill are a bit naughty. But overall, a great hotel which I stay at again no problem.

Cheshire uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

My partner and myself booked for a romantic getaway for 1 night, I booked weeks before and after reading the reviews and the price I paid I was looking forward to it, however I found myself disappointed the heating did not work in the room and when I called down to reception I was told that someone would have a look at it no one came or called and I went cold for the night.
The next morning I paid about £13.00 for a full English breakfast when it came out there were no beans and no black pudding (my favourite!) when I asked why I was told there delivery had not come!

I was not happy with my stay at all even the room had not been hovered from the previous guest and to top it all off I had to pay £10.00 for parking

All in all an expensive stay that was not worth my while

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

This is a nice hotel, in a good location it is a shame that you have to pay £10 to park the car though.

We stayed in a lovely room with a mezzanine bathroom, it was very luxurious, a lovely roll top bath and a great monsoon shower. The bed was comfortable and we had a good night sleep apart from being woken early by the light coming through the blinds.

The staff, as always with Hotel Du Vin were friendly and give you the impression that nothing that you request is too much trouble.

We ate in the Bistro - see seperate review.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel du Vin York? Share your experiences!