“Overpriced microwaved food!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
York, United Kingdom
“Overpriced microwaved food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I had a family meal there last night, and it was so disappointing. The food was bland, some of it felt like it had been microwaved (cheese was in thick blobs) and overcooked. The worst thing was it was so expensive - I dont mind paying if the food is good quality but this was dire. They couldn't even get a pizza right!

The house red was like vinegar, and £18 a carafe! Jamie Olivers Italian is cheaper and much better.

Avoid at all costs - needs chef Ramsey in to sort it out!!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
cheshire
“Basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Being a fellow Italian I am usually wary of eating in Italian restaurants for fear of disappointment. The chicken livers to start, although a large portion were bland and basically tasteless, pizza was ok.. Can't comment on atmosphere really as it was practically empty as it was a Monday night.
Would I return? Maybe if I just wanted a pizza but not for a special meal out with my husband.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Good atmosphere but really basic food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We ordered a calzone and a diavola pizza. Cheap products. Tastes really like a frozen pizza you could buy in most supermarkets.
Big disapointment as well for the dessert. No one is home made and doesn't taste extraordinary good...
I don't like to post such reviews but I will not get there anymore. Sad.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Shambolic Italian in the Shambles”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

A truly mediocre Italian experience. Went with family for dinner and wished I hadn't. Despite being almost empty the place is cramped with what are the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever sat on in a restaurant. The tables are too small and squashed together to make it even worse. The staff are sullen and tired without a spark of engagement with their customers. Our food was an exhibition in mediocrity. I had greasy frozen Calamari to start followed by a bowl of cheap and nasty dried pasta with a fatty ham sauce. My in laws love their pizzas and were sorely disappointed with the perfunctory cardboard offering they got that was a challenge for even a steak knife. The toppings were mean and dried up. A true disgrace for a family owned Italian. It is pricy too no doubt capitalising on its location. I'm happy to pay a little more for location if the food is good. This was definitely not good. We had house wine at £12 for 50 cl . It took me back to the bad old days of eating out in England. It would make excellent paint stripper I'm sure.
The place obviously survives on hapless tourists and unfortunate souls like us who struggle to find much open on a Monday night. It's not often I say I would rather have gone to Pizza Express but I think I would on this occasion... One to be avoided.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
York
“Bari Italian Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

it was basic Italian food and service, could have been better or worse. Noisy waiters but good hot food.