“Very nice, but vegetarians beware............” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 716 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Very nice, but vegetarians beware............”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is a very nice restaurant, homely, comfortable and friendly, with a pleasant ambience and good service at reasonable prices. However, my experience of dining here was let down by the quality my choice of vegetarian food (lentil moussaka). It was cooked well but the flavour was very disappointing indeed. This restaurant has received and is worthy of much praise, but why were the vegetarian choices so limited, and what was on offer was completely lacking in flavour. Non-meat-eaters are no longer the aging hippie brigade minority - we are mainstream discerning eaters and deserve better, and it really wouldn't take much effort to make the vegetarian choices more interesting if not exciting. Come on, Café Concerto, you can do better!

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly, oddball, but great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This place won't be to everybody's taste as far as decoration and furnishings go (especially if you like the ordered sameness of chain restaurants) but I find it charming. Second hand furniture, freakishly decorated walls (on a musical theme) and odd ornaments suit my taste. And the place is decidedly laid-back, but in the best sense of the term - casual, but efficient with tremendously friendly and helpful staff. So whether it's for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, or just a coffee and cake, join the mixed clientele, from student couples to old marrieds like us, with everything in between.
It was an old favourite, as you can tell from my tone, and we were glad to find it lived up to our memories: good, quite wide menu (though I was disappointed to find the frittata missing!) and good wine list - but just drink tea, coffee or beer if you wish.
I always feel this place should be higher uo the lists - but then, perhaps it might become less laid back - so, just give it a try - right opposite the Minster.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Best bread and butter pudding you can fathom”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Well the title says it all. Even my Mum was tempted by my dessert and she is an overtly anti bread in puddings kind of person. It had mixed berries and vanilla, wasn't too heavy, just luvleh. Per desserts looked great too, and can reccomend the toffee and banana cake, and the banoffee pie.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Brantford, Canada
“Thanks James and Stu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We needed a quick lunch and were very pleased with this small cafe very close to Westminter. Lots of choice and quick service. Loved the "old sheet music wallpaper".

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
North Yorkshire
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have been many times to Café Concerto and it has always been good. Not today!! It was not so busy and we ordered something for breakfast. I didn't want the whole breakfast and asked if I could have mushrooms on toast instead. When it eventually arrived.....and I had to ask why is was so long.....over 20 mins...there were two thick pieces of toast...a small piece of butter and two small mushrooms...not even on the toast but beside it. I walked out and went to Bennet's across the road where the food was good and was served very quickly.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rozz H, Owner at Cafe Concerto, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments about Café Concerto having always being good on the many times you have previously visited.

We are truly sorry that you were so uphappy last Sunday on your recent visit. I think we made a mistake in taking your order - understanding toast and a side order of mushrooms (the medium sized flat mushrooms) rather than a main dish of mushrooms on toast, which we would happily have done even though it is not on our normal breakfast menu.

The total price of the toast and side order would have been 95p for the mushrooms and £1.75 for the thick cut toast (from bread made locally) A lot of customers order toast with a small side order of a breakfast item as a snack but I am sorry there may have been a misunderstanding as you clearly expected a larger portion and were very angry about it and decided to leave.

I know some other restaurants do mushrooms on toast as a main course item on their menu with pesto etc and maybe it would be an good idea for us to put it on as a welcome new addition to our menu in the future to save any confusion again.

Regarding the time taken, which you felt was too long, we time all our orders carefully to ensure customers are looked after in the event of any slight delay and it took between 12-15 minutes for you and your husband's breakfast to be served even though there were 5 other tables who had just ordered before you & who were also served within this time. Sunday morning is our busiest breakfast service from 9am till noon and in a small kitchen we are juggling full breakfasts with french toasts, baguettes, scrambled eggs etc and it can take up to half an hour during very busy times, which most of our customers seem to think is reasonable, although often it is much quicker, as was the case with your order.

Our two supervisors on duty that day have a total of 16 years at the café between them and both were shocked at the way you stormed out and shouted at our young waitress (who was very upset) even though one of them immediately apologised and offered to take the 'unsatisfactory dish' off the bill or bring you more, which would have been done immediately.

Having now issued a review which informs the entire world that you think we are 'terrible', I wonder if this is really a fair reflection of all your experiences with us over the many years when you say you always enjoyed it ? Whilst you never chose to write us a good review over the many years, I note that you walked straight over the road to our neighbouring restaurant and wrote them a 'great' review (which I am sure was well deserved) on the same day.

I hope your husband still managed to enjoy his breakfast after you left and we wish you both well in the future.

Rozz Hancox