“Great restaraunt” 5 of 5 stars

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Had a great night here
Good atmosphere fantastic food
Service very good
Try the house special truffle beef Berger wowc
One small point be wary of the price of the wine !!
David H

• Visited November 2013

100% Recommend
NorthBriton
“Just gutted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I've only just found out that this fabulous place has closed down. It is a sad reflection on the economic climate that such a great chef can't make a good career out of running a place in York. It also says something about the nature of internet reviewing on sites like tripadvisor. J. Baker has to have been in the top 3 or 4 in York however you like your food. Personally I think he was number 1. How could he be rated as the 98th best on tripadvisor? So, two conclusions: don't trust tripadvisor because large numbers of punters must have the weirdest taste imaginable; it isn't enough for a chef to be great, he has to have some sort of tryst with the devil to be a commercial success as well. Very sad.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Simply the best really sad to hear this place is/has closed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

By far the best dining experience I have ever had. We had the 7 course taster menu and it was simply the nicest food we have ever had the privilege of eating, and all for £39 each. The girl who served us came and had a chat before we started to eat informing us that IF there is anything we want taking out of the food on offer the Chef will accommodate this. We had an excellent service where the girl informed us of how the food was made and what went into it. Totally relaxed atmosphere. It saddens me that J Baker has/is closing down (so I read) would of loved to have gone back and have recommended the place to everyone I know when the topic of eating out came up.

• Visited October 2012
York, United Kingdom
“Thanks for the soup!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This has, for many years, been my favourite restaurant in York. I have had some wonderful times and incredible food. I especially loved Friday lunchtimes, seeing the same lady enjoying the tasting lunch every week at her favourite table. So I had to fit in one last review to say how sorry I am that J Bakers is no more. From the best soups I have ever had the pleasure to try, breadsticks and mini-jacket potatoes with and array of mayonnaises and cod roe dips. And that's before we even get to the main courses...

I truly hope that Jeff Baker returns to York as food in the city won't be the same without him. I read that he may go down to London (which for me would be a shame and a great loss) but would certainly warrant a visit.

To Jeff and his team over the years - thanks for the food and the memories.

• Visited April 2013
Leeds
“The best restaurant in Yorkshire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Terribly sad to hear of the closure of this restaurant, which was consistently the best place to eat in the whole of Yorkshire. Incredible quality, variety and innovation at such a reasonable price. It will be sadly missed.

• Visited April 2013