“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alcuin Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Alcuin Lodge to your Saves list
Alcuin Lodge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   15 Sycamore Place | Bootham, York YO30 7DW, England   |
Ranked #14 of 216 York B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Read all the good reviews for this place, combine them altogether and your somewhere close to the truth.

Sometimes B&B owners give you the impression that your just in the way, your presence an inconvenient fact. Not so with Darren, each morning he's there talking to the new guests, offering advice on places to see, how to get there, the places to avoid and if you still look confused he even marks them all on a map for you!!

Breakfast was pleasant, we had a full English and it was of a decent standard, no cheap horsey sausages from the local supermarket. You can decide on what breakfast you want the night before and send a text to confirm your choice (this means breakfast is ready bang on time).

If i'm visiting York again i'll definately try to get a room here!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
I really appreciate your feedback and it's good to know that the balance seems to be right. I'm learning lots about the city from our guests too so more than happy to pass on hints and tips. Also good to know you enjoyed breakfast and that you hope to come back - I hope so too! Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here the first weekend in February 2013 and picked Alcuin Lodge because of the great reviews.
We were not disappointed. We have stayed in York several times before and this place wins hands down. From the warm welcome, nice fresh room, great bed and well cooked breakfast, it lives up to what others on this site have already said.
I have already recommended Alcuin to a friend without any fear that they will not be anything less than very happy with their stay.
Nick and Lindsey.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Nick/Lindsey, thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us at Alcuin Lodge and for your kind feedback. It means a lot to us to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay and the fact that you've already recommended Alcuin Lodge to friends is a real endorsement. Do tell them to give me a call if they're keen to visit York as bookings are coming in thick and fast at the moment - looks like it's going to be a busy year!
I look forward to seeing you again too.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I checked all hotels for one that was close to the centre of York. What i found was this Gem of a hotel which is impecable in its decor and second to none for friendliness from a great host.
Nothing is too much trouble for Darren.
The Lodge is 5 mins walk to the city walls and located in a very quiet cul-de-sac so a peaceful sleep is assured away from the city sounds.
A wholesome breakfast is served using only the best that is available.
A must stay place for anyone who wants top quality for low cost and is somewhere i will return to.

Room Tip: Every room is excellent throughout.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dan, thank you for your great feedback. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your visit to York and your stay at Alcuin Lodge. We enjoyed having you both here and certainly hope you'll be able to come to stay again in the near future. Oh, and thank you for the gift you left - very kind of you!
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Mother and I stayed in room 1, the twin room at the head of the stairs. It was light, comfortable, simply but elegantly decorated and possessed of a large, beautiful and modern bathroom. I particularly appreciated the heated towel racks. The lodge is located in a quiet street not far from the Minster, just off Bootham Terrace and very close to the Museum Gardens and the pedestrian footbridge which leads to the railway station. It is an ideal location for exploring the city, but does not suffer from York's occasional inconveniences of traffic noise or drunks. Watch out for this in city centre hotels. Darren was exceptionally helpful with local knowledge and recommendations and very attentive, but never at all obtrusive. He keeps the rooms immaculately clean and cooks a lovely breakfast. We enjoyed both the full English and the porridge (that's oatmeal to Americans). More tea and toast is always available. I always left replete and never needed more. Of course many guest houses offer such advantages, but Darren really shines in going the extra mile. He was extremely kind to my elderly mother when she was I'll in bed one day and actually polished my leather shoes to clean off the salt stains when we were leaving. The snow had been quite bad during our trip and the streets were full of slush. I have no hesitation in rating it excellent it excellent, would recommend it very highly and will certainly stay here again myself.

Room Tip: Room 1 was excellent.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Stephen, thank you for your kind comments. It was a pleasure to have you stay - I really enjoyed our morning chats. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and liked Room 1 and its bathroom and also that you felt that breakfast set you up for the day. I hope your mum is back to full strength and that the rest of your trip to the UK is successful. I hope that we're able to progress your plans for 2014 and look forward to welcoming you back to Alcuin Lodge.
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed at Alcuin Lodge between Christmas and New Year, we had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay, room was very clean, warm and cosy. Breakfast was prepared to our individual tastes and was delicious. The entire stay was very peaceful and relaxing. Darren was very helpful and friendly and made us feel very welcome, arrival was made so much easier for us by the provision of a parking permit, so much so we have just booked our next stay at Alcuin Lodge.

Thank you Darren!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Well, there can't be a better review that one which ends with "We have just booked our next stay at Alcuin Lodge". So pleased to read that you found your visit peaceful and relaxing and that you had a great time staying here. Don't forget to look at our website for links to what's on when you're here next - there seem to be more events and festivals than ever planned for 2013. See you soon and thanks for the lovely feedback.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had not visited York before so it was nice that Darren (the owner) was so welcoming and friendly, he definitely looks after his guests. The Hotel is very clean and comfortable with a lovely breakfast prepared of your choice. From the outset of booking Darren was very good with responding to emails or texting information. The location is lovely and quiet but you are only about a 5 minute walk to the minster and the shops etc. We would recommend the Alcuin Lodge to you 100%.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to York and that we managed to play our part in ensuring you had a great time. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and it's great to know that you appreciated the location, the standard of accommodation, the breakfast and the hospitality. Lots more to see and do here so I hope it won't be your last visit to York (check our website for links to information about local events and attractions).
Londres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I went with my husband visiting York on a week end and from the beginning at the time of the booking over the phone, Darren has been more than helpful by responding quickly to email requests and even by checking our train arrival time. We have been on the evening warmly greeted.

We had room 4 which was the cleanest and prettiest room I have ever seen for a B&B, a real cozy feeling at the top of the house. The en-suite bathroom was superbly clean, sparkling and modern.
The bedding (double bed, nothing wider or bigger), pillows, linen and duvet were again excellent and from the first quality you could expect from the hospitality industry. The only thing I would say and the reason why I am taking a star of the bedding rate is the quality of the mattress for bedroom 4. Again, bedding was so excellent that I have been left quiet disappointed to realize that the quality of the mattress (a normal spring mattress for which my husband did not mind btw) did not follow. For the overall quality of this establishment, a luxurious -memory- foam mattress would have been more comfortable and more appropriate but it is my personal point of view.

English breakfast (served between 8am-9am) was excellent and cooked to perfection. I did not take the sausages as in London they are usually reconstructed greasy meat but at Alcuin, the quality was real top class - organic? - quality and I had to steal in my husband's plate to get some bits!

Darren has been a incredible host regarding giving advises on visiting York and he recommended us to eat at the Guy Fawkes pub which is btw excellent if you manage to book a table as it is quiet busy!

I will certainly recommend Alcuin Lodge to my friends!

Room Tip: room 4 is at the top of the house with an en-suite bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AlcuinLodgeYork, Owner at Alcuin Lodge, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback. I'm really happy that you appreciated both the hospitality and your stay at Alcuin Lodge. It was lovely to read your comment about the room being the "cleanest and prettiest" you've seen - that means a lot. I appreciate your suggestion too, in the context of the high quality of the bedding. Well, it looks like you'll just have to come back again...for a full breakfast - this time with sausages! Happy New Year.

Been to Alcuin Lodge? Share your experiences!