“Excellent Food. Excellent Staff. Bizarre 12.5% Service Charge.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cote Brasserie - York

Cote Brasserie - York
49-51 Low Petergate, York YO1 7HT, York YO1 7HT, England (Formerly Cote Brasserie York)
01904 639994
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 715 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food. Excellent Staff. Bizarre 12.5% Service Charge.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My partner and I come here very regularly (sometimes brining friends and family) because the food is simply delicious and probably one of the highest quality chain restaurants around.

If you go before 7 you can bag three courses for around £11.95 which I'm pretty sure is unbeatable. The wine is top notch and steak frites a favourite of mine. The desserts are beautiful and taste really fresh. Once I had a Canelé which was incredible, unfortunately they never seem to have these on the menu these days!

Service is great too. The manager is especially nice and always very friendly.

Why this restaurant only gets a 'Very Good' and not an 'Excellent' -

My only gripe isn't a fault of that particular restaurant but rather a fault of the chain as a whole. You need to be careful when paying your bill, as they add a 12.5% service charge automatically. It's difficult to see and I bet most people pay it without realising, then tipping on top. We certainly did, but after complaining to their head office we received an apology and invite to return to the restaurant.

It's pretty sneaky and makes for an awkward silence when you have to ask the waitress to remove it from your bill. I'm sure at some point head office will learn that's not an appropriate way to boost their employees' wages.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Visited this restaurant on 15 July 2014 . I must say the service and the food were excellent . We arrived about 9 pm and it was busy. After a little wait we was shown to our seat and offered a free glass of fizzy wine for the wait which was not very long. The restaurant was packed so the staff worked extremely hard . I had steak which was cooked perfectly I also had started of calamari which had a lovely coating on it. It's my 1st time to York and when I return I will be going back to this restaurant. I think they drafted in some staff from the Manchester branch at the last moment so if the level of service is as good there as it was here I will visit the Manchester Cotes if I'm in town.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
York, England, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband & I had a reservation for 8pm on Friday to celebrate his birthday, we were running late so popped in on our way to have a pre dinner drink to try to rearrange the booking which was no problem. When we arrived later we were shown to our table in the unexpectedly large restaurant! The service was attentive and the food excellent. I was also pleasantly surprised by the bill (although they had added a service charge which I don't agree with). We would definitely recommend this restaurant and even return ourselves!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Oh dear.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were delighted to be returning to York and to the Cote - which I'd previously rated as excellent, the previous year when we were on holiday - but this time? Oh dear...

We ordered the bread as a starter - and our main meal arrived before we'd had a chance to eat it. We were then told the state was in fact an appetiser? Err???

Our Breton chicken was bland chicken coated to taste like Breton chicken - but in reality was so bland, it was awful. We've had real Breton chicken in a simple roadside café in France - nothing posh about it - but oh, the flavour. The Cote? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. My husband tried to explain, but the two members of staff were not native English speakers, so we gave up. We won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“It gets busy in the evening so reserve a table!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is the second time I have gone to this restaurant - that's always a good sign! The food choice is excellent, the waiting staff are very attentive and responsive and the quality of the food is wonderful. On this occasion I had the foccacia-style bread with reblochon cheese, a fillet steak (cooked to perfection) and ended with a creme brulee - all nicely finished off with the house Cote du Rhone. Would I go back again - yes, definitely. On the second visit it was very busy and with no reservation I had to wait half an hour for a table - but worth it!

Visited July 2014