“Excellent food and Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 656 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Dinner service runs from 5pm, until last orders at 10pm, Tuesday to Saturday. Close at 11pm. Takeaway available during service hours. Reservations welcome. Lunch parties considered for groups of 12+. We are a 55 seat family run restaurant (35 down/ 20 up). Krakatoa Room seats 20+. Available for group hire. We are 5 mins from the railway station and 2 mins from the bus station. Within 5 mins of all major office centres. A secret oasis with beautiful views. Hand painted interior mural, batiks, paintings and photos by artist Tim Potter (all available for sale).Falling distance form Cedar Court Grand Hotel and the Hampton by Hilton Hotel. We are fully licensed from 5pm. We do not serve the seriously intoxicated. All food is scratch made and no msg in any dish. Many vegetarian and gluten free options. Many mild and savoury dishes available. If you like it hot, add your own sambal (secret family recipe chilli paste) until the spice/ heat ratio is right for you. Rica-Rica available for 'heat-seekers.' Incredibly moreish. The kitchen is knocking it out of the park.Hope to see you soon. X
Newcastle
“Excellent food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was our first Indonesian meal and therefore I can't comment on whether the Krakatoa is an exceptional restaurant for Indonesian food quality but we both thought the meal was one of the best we had eaten. We were offered help several times to go through the menu but we settled for two non spicy chicken dishes which were great. The menu is set out in degrees of 'spiciness '.
We had two different starters which were very tasty and with a round of drinks, the bill was about £40.
The restaurant itself is centrally located and is quite small so I would suggest booking would be advisable. Staff were exceptionally helpful and pleasant and the whole experience was very enjoyable. Recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

York, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Sorry to say this is one of the few places I have left my meal after the first mouthful. I ordered a noodle dish with prawns and it came swimming in so much grease that I couldn't stomach it. I probably ordered the wrong dish as I see many great reviews but although grease may be big with John and Olivia it's just not for me sorry guys!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great food with excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Ate here last night. Chicken is Halal. Food was served quickly and tasted good. We asked for a mild prawn dish which wasn't on the menu and they were more than happy to make something off menu for us. Only a 5 minute walk from the station or Royal York Hotel.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Didn't live up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My wife and I eat Indonesian food at least twice a year in Holland where they have a long history with the country and it's a popular cuisine over there. So we were excited to see that on our stay we could eat at an Indonesian restaurant with so many great reviews… sadly it didn't live up to expectations and was well below the standard we are used to with this type of food. Saying that it was very edible still but distinctly average as far as Indonesian food goes.

We both had soup for starters and that was nice, both a curry flavour of sorts, one with egg which I had an enjoyed, one with a more coconut base and my wife enjoyed. Then the main courses arrived… I had a duck dish with Nasi Goreng rice as a side dish, it was rated as 2 chills for the duck course on the menu… however this combined with the spicy Nasi Goreng made for one hell of a spicy meal, way above the 2 chillis specified on the menu and completely zapped any taste out of the meal, also the duck was pretty average, I am used to it being quite a fatty meat that melts in your mouth but this was more like a beef texture, very lean but lacking in any real interest to eat. I'd describe the meal as a bit bland and overly spiced, fine but not anything special. My wife had a mix of things which included Beef Renang where the meat was very tender but lacked any real taste, satay which was very average compared to what we eat usually in Indonesian restaurants and some bean curd which actually was delicious.

Overall there was nothing massively wrong with the meal, it was ok, it didn't make me sick or taste horrible, it was just very average and a bit disappointing when we are used to eating Indonesian food and know what it can taste like.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely food but expensive drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Had a fabulous meal with my young children (10&8). The staff were friendly, the food tasted great and the menu was good. Decor etc was fine and in fact we had a great meal and experience. My only negative comment would be that I felt the drinks were expensive. £7.50 for a bottle of beer, and admittedly I asked to try an Indonesian beer, but I didn't expect to pay that for a small bottle of lager. The price is on the menu but I didn't look but I would not have expected to have to pay that. Minor downside to a great experience. Would go again and recommend for sure.

Krakatoa Y, Owner at Krakatoa, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hi. I have found your bill and I'm happy to confirm the 2 x £7.50 related to the Krakatoa Platter on the line below the beers. The beers were 2 x £2.95 on the line above. So if we were only awarded 4 stars over the misunderstanding over the bill please would you be kind enough to re-rate us. You had me worried there as I was convinced that we serve the cheapest drinks of any restaurant in town. Many thanks. X