“Go now, while you still can walk in” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 712 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: European, English, Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Sitting Pig is located in the heart of the beautiful historic city of York. We pride ourselves on offering our customers a wide range of dishes, from starters to home-made specials and delicious desserts. Our aim is to bring excellence in all areas. Whether you are looking for a quiet table for two or the perfect venue to celebrate a special occasion with friends, we will make sure you have a great evening!
Abilene, Texas
“Go now, while you still can walk in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This place will soon be one of the most popular places in York. Then you will have to call ahead for a reservation days in advance or wait an hour for a table. Now, you can just walk up (most nights) and grab a table, inside or out.
Radek, chef and owner, made me feel very welcome during my recent visit to York. He visited my table both nights I stopped in and tried the excellent food. Fresh ingredients, prepared with skill and love. What more can you ask? Great service, too.
There are a few little things to be improved... The first night my salmon needed a bit more seasoning; the second night the skin on the duck was not as crispy as it could have been... But the place is wonderful. Beautiful sauces created by a talented chef; nice (if small) wine list. I look forward to coming back next time I'm in York... assuming I can get in!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

York, United Kingdom
“Small is beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Been here twice now on a Saturday night.As we are last minute people we hadn't booked, on both occasions the cheerful staff accommodated us,you really feel like you have walked into a French feeling bistro, lovely atmosphere , nice back ground music.On both occasions the food was spot on, we had the prawns to start yummy!! I must say my husband commented they were the best he has tasted !! Main course homemade chicken Kiev Delicias !homemade desserts to die for.A nice touch the chef came out front for a chat!! Thumbs up for small hard working buisnesses.

Visited June 2013
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“surprising”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We were just wandering around York and stumbled upon this small place at lunch. We were not sure what to expect so were pleasantly surprised to be served up some really good food and the portions were very generous for the price. My husband thoroughly recommends the American breakfast!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Radek B, Owner at The Sitting Pig, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Angela!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your last visit to our Cafe/Restaurant.
I’m glad you enjoyed the experience at The Sitting Pig, specially the food and service provided by our wonderful staff! It's also great to hear that you found our food of a good value for the price.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Best wishes

Radek Bak
York, United Kingdom
“lovely, homely, easy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a really lovely place which I strongly recommend. The staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming and its great value. The duck is particularly delicious - fantastic chef!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
york england
“Absolutely loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Like other reviewers we arrived at the door of the restaurant by chance after a day at the Races.
A small but interesting menu and food that was imaginative and beautifully presented. we met the owner as well and were made to feel very special. Prices were good. The only thing that I would change is the wine list which is a little limited.Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere