“Cramped, Dated But Friendly Service” 3 of 5 stars

Astley House
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   123 Clifton, York YO30 6BL, England   |
Ranked #187 of 216 York B&B and Inns
Northampton
“Cramped, Dated But Friendly Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Very pokey room with the smallest en-suite I have seen.

The hotel is fine for a one night stopover which is what we used it for and great location just outside of York City Centre.

Over-priced though for what you get.

Very friendly welcome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

In total honesty I can 100% tell you NOT to stay here. If you have been on the website for this dire place the music they play in the background of the youtube video sums up the atmosphere of the place. Sad, dreary and overly dramatic.

My sister and I went to York on Monday (2nd September 2013) to celebrate her 21st and had unfortunately been given very hard to follow instructions on how to get to our hotel (instructions from google maps). After a few hours of failed attempts to find the place (weighed down with rucksacks and a suitcase) we rang the hotel at about 1pm. No one answered, and I tried several times. Eventually a man picked up, I asked politely for directions and it was obviously an inconvenience for him to have to tell me how to get there.

After following his instructions and retracing our steps we still couldn't find the place. My sister eventually rang back, asking for another point of reference. We were again instructed that if we kept The Grange hotel on our right hand side we would arrive soon. He was so sharp with my sister that she didn't know what to say and handed the phone over to me looking upset and concerned. I spoke to the vile man and he kept repeating the instructions saying, "it's really not that hard, if you follow what I am saying and actually listen to me then you would be here. I don't know why your struggling. It's not my job to give you directions here and you should have looked them up before leaving." He continued to repeat himself even after I had asked for a different reference point as we were obviously not getting anywhere with his first instruction. He refused to tell me anything else. By this point I was extremely upset and tired of his nasty and condescending tone so I told him he just that, and that I was sick of how he was talking to us, and amazed that he had so little in the way of customer service skills.

So I thought we would do the opposite of what he said, and walked with The Grange hotel on our left..amazingly we were there within ten minutes. On arrival we buzzed and eventually he answered the bell via intercom, telling me I was no longer welcome there due to the way I spoke to him on the phone. I thought what a coward, telling me (a 5ft young girl with her younger sister!) over an intercom because he couldn't be bothered/was too scared to come out, that we couldn't stay there. -After the way he had spoken to both of us on the phone!!

I asked politely if I could speak to his face as I would like to apologise for offending him (I was worried we would have no where to stay at this point) and he came to the door. I had to stand and listen to him tell me how ridiculous it was that I couldn't follow simple instructions and how upset he was with me. Several times I attempted to explain that maybe it was just a forgetful mistake that he thought The Grange was on the opposite side of the road..he had none of it "I've lived here for 12 years and I know what I'm talking about.." Eventually I swayed him to let us stay although all of me was convinced I absolutely did not want to stay there!!

Small dull room, decorated in the 60s with bad taste, although quite clean. All in all, grim and vile manner of man, thoroughly disappointed and regret that I didn't read trip advisor before I stayed.

One thing I would love to see is him on his way into the town, realising that The Grange (which looks like a lovely hotel!) is indeed on his right, and when he goes home..that it is on his left.

Shocker of an experience and one I will not be repeating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is based on my opinion, it's possible that other people will go here and see lots of positive aspects that I missed.

For £75 a night in York I don't expect anything too large or fancy but this guesthouse was very disappointing. I had to buzz to be let into the building and then wait in a hall for five minutes for the receptionist to arrive. It went downhill from there!

I'd booked an attic room, which had chipped plaster and two skylights (one of which had a sign on saying not to use ) with flimsy see through blinds that did nothing to stop the dawn waking me up. The chair in the room had several loose buttons, its not a big thing but you expect rooms to be in good repair.

The bathroom was disgusting in my opinion, there was what looked like mould around the shower tiles and a couple of damp marks appeared to be developing on the ceiling. The owner has since advised that this was discolouration not mould; personally I wasn't going to get close enough to prove it either way. There was a hand soap but no cup or holder for a toothbrush.

The kettle was already full when I came in and I have no idea how long it had been full for. Tea and coffee was provided but the teabags weren't individually wrapped (keeping them fresh) but loose in a jar, I didn't how old they were or what kind of tea they were so I left them. The wifi (free) was a nice touch but the wifi signal for the 2nd and 3rd floor disappeared on my second night.

The guesthouse is apparently one of the cheapest in the area but at £75 per night even in London I would expect things to be in a better state of repair.

This review has been edited after the owner found my email address and threatened to sue me for saying there was mould in the shower. I do not appreciate being threatened so have added the disclaimer at the top and pretty much put the original review back up.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Rochester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were advised to post a review on TripAdvisor about our experience of Astley House, 123 Clifton York, YO30 6BL, by two police officers who came to our aid. Our room (£75 per night + £5 extra for breakfast and £1 per towel per day) was a small, atic room with a velux window and unpleasantly stained grouting in the en suite shower. The velux window was open when we arrived and left open by us when we went out next mourning.Unfortunately, late evening there was a thunder storm and rain got into our room making the duvet wet. We went down stairs to ask if we could have a new quilt and cover and explained how the quilt in the room got wet. The manager refused to give us a new replacement quilt saying we should have shut the window. We explained that we could not sleep in a bed with a wet quilt. We were given no offer of help, nor a dry quilt. Even though it is not true, he accused us of swearing at him to justify not giving us a dry quilt and cover. He kept trying to intimidate us by treating to call the police and videoing us, telling us he wanted us to leave.

When the night manager knew we had called the police he was not seen again and sent out a femail manager. She then lied to the police, claiming that she had been present and witnessed what happened between us and the night manager. The police officers asked her for a new, dry, quilt for us, she refused to give us a dry quilt. The police advised we write a review on TripAdvisor and they checked the room for us so that we could not be falsely accused of damaging anything.
The police kindly took us to another hotel. We met two very kind York City police officers, Thank you, for your help and advice.

The performance of the night manager seemed well rehearsed as though he has done this before. He threatens to call the police (repeatedly) for somthing that is a civil matter, so that he can intimidate you and films you with a video camera.... Before Booking: Beware that you will be asked to provide your signature which is stored on an elctronic pad connected to a computer and banking details so that they can add charges as they see fit! You are advised by Astley House to pay cash on arrivel to avoid administration charges.

We have both stayed in many B&Bs, hotels, guest houses and have neaver experienced any thing so awful as this. Astley House is not the typical visitor friendly accommodation we are used to. So what is it really - a flop house perhaps? We wish we had been aware of TripAdvisor before making our unfortunate booking.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AstleyHouse, Manager at Astley House, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
These 'guests' were evicted for being abusive and threatening to staff memebers and the police evicted them. Over the last 10 years we welcomed 50 000 guests to York and we only have 20 bad reviews on here. We are one of the cheapest and most basic accommodation establishments, so do not expect everything to be brand new. We can however guarantee clean and comforatble rooms. Don't believe everything you read. You may end up paying to much if you're only looking for a safe comfortable place to stay with no frills then AStley House is perfect.
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I write this review under threat of legal action
With apologies to the Duke of Wellington – “Print and be damned”

In brief, we had booked in for 5 nights and arrived to check in we were let in and advised to sit down and someone would attend to us. Several minutes later a ‘gentleman’ appeared and asked for reservation details which I duly gave. He could find no pre-authorisation and spoke to someone about this. He asked for a card and took £50 pre-registration he also asked to take the full cost of the stay and I asked why he had taken an authorisation for £50 as well. That is when things started to go wrong.

I said that I had not realised that I needed to put a deposit for £50 as well as pay in full. He said it was standard practice and I was made aware on the booking form. In fairness it was in ‘Room Cancellation Policy’ but as I was present and not cancelling the room I didn’t see it. He then made me read the full terms and conditions and sign an electronically copy. He said before he was prepared to proceed with booking us in he wanted an apology from me and to say that I was in the wrong. He said that because I had had a bad day I should not take it out on him. My wife was almost in tears and with a combined age of 135 years we could not believe what was happening

Although taken aback at his very abrasive attitude I admitted to misreading the booking however, that was not good enough and he said he was within his rights to refuse entry to anyone who was abusive and we should sit quite for 5 minutes while he considers the situation. He went off and made himself a cup of tea!

On his return he said he would give me another chance and I must apologise at getting it wrong and if that wasn’t done he would refuse entry and if I chose to leave he would be in his rights to charge me for the full stay – according to the law of the land. He also said that all conversations throughout the building are recorded and there were cameras everywhere. (Indeed there was a camera hidden in the vase of flowers on the table).

He left our position untenable and we left and I told him that I would relate my experiences on Tripadvisor. He said it didn’t bother him but if I did he would sue me

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paisley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

When visiting York in mid-July I was booked into Astley House for 4 nights. The experience was not great from the start, with a most unhelpful man on the phone when I eventually got through to Astley House, when the e-mail I sent had never received a response.

A late check in was arranged, although it wasn't as straight forward as it should have been. Whilst travelling to York I received a text message with instructions on how to enter the property and collect my key, as a 2100 arrival meant there would be nobody available to check me in.

On arrival I had no problem collecting my key and finding my "room", no 16 on the 3rd floor. On entering my room it I was shocked at the standard and size of the room. There was no toilet/shower door and the ceilings sloped at 45 degrees - not ideal at all!! The shower dripped water at me, but at least it was hot.

Towels had to be "hired", which I found unbelievable, but I had brought my own. Breakfast is only available from 0800 - 0900 which I find restrictive.

To sum up my stay - uncomfortable and depressing spring to mind.

My impression from dealing with the man at reception was that customers were an inconvenience and he didn't appear to know how to work the computer. All in all very poor!

On a positive note there was a good WiFi signal in my room.

Room Tip: I would suggest avoiding room 16 - I saw more comfortable & better appointed rooms when I visite...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend visit to York. Due to very heavy traffic we were going to get into York way past check in time so we phoned ahead to advise the hotel and they were very accomodating. We wound up using their self-service check which did cost an extra £9 (£5 self service / £4 debit card charge - card charges are made clear) although we were advised that if we did get in before 7:30pm then there would be no extra charges.

The room was quite small with just a comfortable bed, tea / coffee and a kettle, cupboard, 2 bedside tables and a couple of chairs in the main room, with a small ensuite containing sink, toilet and shower. The room was clean. The ensuite may be too small if you're on the large side but as an average sized man this was not an issue. The idea that a man can't stand to pee and the shower has to be entered sideways is a tad excessive!

The staff were friendly and helpful and leave customers to themselves. What contact we did have was fine and the lady on reception advised of me a slightly longer scenic route into York centre along with River Ouse. It only added about 5 minutes to my walk into town and it brings you out right by the Yorkshire Museum and gardens.

The only thing to be aware of is that breakfast is NOT included in the room price and needs to be ordered by 7:30pm the night before. Aside from this minor gripe I'd be happy to stay at this hotel again. It's cheap basic but it does the trick for a weekend away, and is significantly cheaper than the Premier Inn 2 miles up the road!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Astley House? Share your experiences!