“Would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

123 Clifton, York YO30 6BL, England   |
Ranked #192 of 208 York B&B and Inns
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

After reading other reviews i was very apprehensive about staying but needed not to be. Found everything to be satisfactory. Managed to park without any problems, checked in quickly and was even upgraded to a four poster rm without any extra charge. Found the manager to be very helpful. The rm was adequate and for a last minute new year stay, was good value very cosy and warm. Particularly like being able to check in frm 11am. breakfast not included but didnt find this a problem. Would definitely return

• Stayed December 2012

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have just experienced the worst standards of customer care I have ever come across in an accommodation provider.
Most Hostels are better than this place
The person I dealt with was extremely rude and arrogant and had no idea about acceptable standards.
Astley house- does not provide towels, and charges extra for this service!!
Provides no soap in the room
Charges extra for credit card usage- you are asked to pay cash on arrival if this is not acceptable,
There is some very small print on the Astley house Website about Credit card charges, but it is not really made obvious until the booking has been confirmed
Credit Card details are taken at time of booking, but if you use the credit card on arrival, there is a charge of between £4 and £8 depending on card type.
The room I was in was freezing cold- outside temp 2 degrees and was heated by a wall mounted gas heater. it took over an hour to get this lit
The TV was not working ( could only get one channel) and I think the batteries were dead. I requested new batteries- never arrived , and I requested someone to come and assist with heater and TV- also never arrived.

I tried to get someone to assist but basically the staff are not there during the day and contact was by text and eventually after nearly 2 hours I was called back by the 'manager'
The man I dealt with was the worst examle of a.' manager' and shouted at me repeatedly during our phone conversation
Nothing has been resolved- I left after 3 hours in a bitterly cold room with nothing but a tiny GAS heater , having paid cash there was absolutely no chance of a refund. I contacted Astley house to make a complaint- all he did was threaten legal action as I had already left a poor review on Trip Advisor.

PLEASE DO NOT PART WITH YOUR HARD EARNED CASH
stay somewhere else

Room Tip: Go elsewhere - don't be fooled by the cheap rate. you get what you pay for...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have read a lot of reviews and think that often the reviewwers have a problem, but in the case of this hotel they are spot on.

I stay away 2-3 nights every week and have stayed in every type of accomadation there is, but this is the worst ever!!!

First, it is on a very busy road, that it is almost imposable to stop on, but when you do stop outside the hotel, you will get screamed at by the nieghbour for daring to park near them, I was even assaulted by the neighbour!

Then you have to wait to be booked in for at lease 20 mins, they charge for you extrav for everything, towel, breakfast (£10) even paying 5% CC charge. There are also stories of being charged double, once online, then again on arrival.

The room that I was given was on the 3rd floor, (dont expect to be show to your room or even offered any help) it is accessed via a very small tight staircase. The room itself was tiny, just big enough for a single bed under the eves, with a small table and just room for the door to open. It did have an ensuite of sorts, the loo is also in the eves, so you cant stand at it, and bang you head when you sit! the sink was tiny and stained, the shower had mildue and mold in it.

The fire alarm and extinguishers were all out of date and not serviced, and the PAT test on all the electrical items(Kettle, tv etc) has not been done for so long that you can/t see the date on the sticker! If there was a fire, I hope you can run, it is over 45 metres to the only exit.

The car parking offered is a joke, there are 3 small spaces around the back, but you cant get to them, unless you drive a Ford Ka, the entrace is very small and very tight that you cant swing into, I drive around 30K + a year so can get into any space, but not here. They do say that you can park across the road, but this only has space for 6-8 cars so good luck, its also double yellows.

What ever you do, do not stay, it is awful.

Room Tip: avoid this place
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Keighley, West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night, we had a small room that I could only just fit into the toilet (Due to sink being half over it). There are only 3 car parking spaces for 16 rooms (I think). It was cold inside as heating was not on. There is no breakfast either. Previous reviews mention breakfast - not any more!!

It was clean and the people were pleasant - Cheap and Clean..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I recently stayed here for 2 nights as I booked at the last minute it was the only place with vacancies, when I got there I could see why. The location was ok as not too far to the city centre and I got parking right opposite so that was fine but the room ... 4 poster bed completely covered in lace, all over the top and down the posts - hideous!

There was a 14" TV perched on a wonky bracket, paint peeling off the ceiling, the bulbs in the lamps were too tall and blinded me!

The bathroom was comical, had a mouldy ceiling, I had to manoeuvre sideways into the shower as it was so small and when sat on the loo the door is approx 6"s away from your face making it quite difficult to stand up without banging your head!

There were no towels so I enquired about them and was told I could 'rent' one for a pound, I asked her to repeat it to make sure I had heard right, brilliant!

I actually had an amazing weekend in York and the hotel did not spoil it, in fact it did provide a lot of comedy but the truth is it's not a great place to stay at all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Eldridge, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

While the hotel itself is a little hard to find, it's a fairly nice house converted into a hotel. The stairs are daunting and extremely narrow going from the 2nd to 3rd floor (British floors). Not to be taken with a big suitcase!

The room was small but clean. They only give you a mat for your bathroom, no towels, no complementary shampoo, conditioner, etc. We didn't pay for breakfast so no comment on that.

It definitely felt safe as the only people who had access to the hotel were those with keys to the room and you had to punch in a code to get into the hotel. Overall, a nice place, though overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

.AWFUL!

Latest check in was half 7, afterwards you had to pay by card with a self check in service, both of which they charged you for!

I drew out the money in the morning as payment was required on arrival.
(This is probably because you may be persuaded to stay if you already paid and would not run for the hills after seeing your room. Which you had to show your-self to by the way)

Unfortunatley we left later than planned due to car trouble. The man was unsypathetic and INTERRUPTED me to tell me these were my options: arrive by 8 when the receptionist leaves or use the card machine & self check in service, despite me telling him I could not afford this as I drew the money out.
VILE MAN WITH RUBBISH CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! This man should NOT be running a guest house.(Would have loved to tell this man to stick his room where the sun dont shine but we still would have had to pay for it)

Our room was shabby, and some of the wallpaper had been peeled off the wall. Towels were also hired and not given. Tiny hair dryer which would have been no good for my long hair. (Luckily i brought my own)

Walls were wafer thin, there was a couple of times when we could either not sleep or were woken by disturbances. There was no one to tell about this at the time.

In the whole weekend the only memeber of staff we seen was the cleaner, We never seen anyone ready to help should you need it.

AWFUL!! Never ever again.

Room Tip: Just dont go there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Astley House? Share your experiences!