“From slight misunderstanding to very nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Clifton Bridge Guesthouse
21/23 Water End, York YO30 6LL, England   |
Ranked #183 of 213 York B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“From slight misunderstanding to very nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

They're seems to be allot of big issues surrounding this guest house, and I have to say I was quite apprehensive about staying here but we literally had no where else to stay this weekend so took a risk. I have to say we had a great time at this b and b and we managed to avoid any huge problems even though we got off on the wrong foot..

With a little calm and reason we sorted an issue out that could of resulted in us walking away but thankfully not!

We arrived and were asked to wait in the sitting area whilst the hotelier sorted out some issues he was dealing with. We waited about 30 minutes and finally we were called into the office. He brought up the details on his computer and requested a payment. To my knowledge and after having entered card details whilst booking via the website, I didn't expect to be asked to pay anything! I said I thought we had already paid online and the hotelier very bluntly told us to pay the money or find someplace else. I started to get annoyed at this point and all the experiences I had read on here started flooding into my mind as I sat back in the waiting area very confused.

Basically I decided to ring the bank and just check that money had not been taken out for the booking. I found that no money had been taken out so thought, sod it! Lets pay up and just forget the misunderstanding. I went back in to pay and the hotelier seemed somewhat offended that I did not initially believe that no money had been taken out! I sensed an argument brewing as I told him I just wanted to be 100% sure about it and that I had not stayed anywhere before where I had entered bank details during the booking process without that being to pay for the stay! Naive I am perhaps but thats just my experience! He basically said why would you stay somewhere that you didn't trust! This annoyed me and I started to think the guys was giving me an unnecessarily hard time but my partner at this point just butted in and said lets just get on with this and pay up and sort the room out! So we did and the whole thing turned around, the guy was really nice to us and said this problem keeps happening and people keep walking out so he has literally no patience when it happens anymore. Doesn't excuse being rude but I just thought let's forgive and forget and just have a good time!

He apologized at this point and offered us a lift into town for having us wait which was really nice! We had a good chat and really appreciated this act of kindness.

The room was lovely and cosy and clean! Big TV with freeview channels and the beds were comfy and clean and plenty of towels as well as some biscuits, tea, kettle and other hot drinks to make in the room.

The whole hotel was nice. More like a cosy house then your typical hotel but I liked this! Its also in a great location and a very easy walk back into town from the guesthouse.

We had breakfast in the morning, for us we had a small english breakfast, sausage, mushroom, egg, tomato, hash brown, beans and toast and it was delicious. They also had on cereals and a selection of juices and tea or coffee that was brought out for you. All in all a very good breakfast!

We checked out at 10:30am (just a one night stay) and the hotelier offered to take us to the train station but we declined this kind offer. He also offered to let us keep our things at the hotel and that he would drive our stuff to the train station before our train which was super kind indeed but again we didn't take up the offer as we had travelled light anyway.

Overall I have to say even though we got off to a rocky start all that stands out to me about staying at this B and B is positive and me and my partner really enjoyed our stay at this guesthouse and in york. We would stay again if we came back as to me the hoteliers kindness did shine through. He certainly is not your typical hotelier! He may come across as somewhat abrupt and rude, but he is who he is and underneath that is someone who is generous and wants the best for his guests. It is my guess that he does struggle a little with life running the guest house and it seems he does it all by himself which is staggering really!

I hope this review may also clear up some issues when it comes to payment. If you book via the site and enter card details this is not a payment! Maybe this is obvious to some but it certainly wasn't to me! Maybe Im a bit dumb when it comes to booking things but hey! Lesson learned. You pay when you arrive at the hotel so be prepared for that! If your unsure check your bank statements before you go!

If your staying one night in york, try here! Its to my knowledge the only hotel that will take guests for one night during weekends which is great. If you want to be greeted by mr or mrs perfect then this is not the place for you. If your happy with and accept that this hotelier is a bit unorthodox and is just a man under a lot of stress who just wants things to run smoothly but does show his emotions at times (god forbid) then you'll be fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Redcar, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Proprietor at cash and carry when we arrived on a busy Saturday afternoon at 2.30. When he eventually arrived, he told us he had overbooked and would we be prepared to share a room (two couples)! The answer of course was no. At that he became increasing rude and asked us to leave. He claimed we were refusing to pay and said he would be taking the money out of my account anyway. This necessitated me to cancel my card and have to wait a week for a new one to be delivered. Very disappointing as we were looking forward to a weekend at York illuminations. However, all was not lost as we were lucky enough to get a couple of rooms at the Premier Inn not far off.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This man appears to be a serial over booker. Too many previous reviews have him being terminally rude and abusive to people when he is over booked. This happened to us. When he finally arrived he told us that he had a problem as he was over booked. He offered the four of us a family room though our ages range from 40 to 66 and we are two distinct couples. When we declined this offer he suddenly found a pair of rooms for us and asked for payment. When it was pointed out to him that the conditions of booking state that payment is taken at the time of booking he became verbally abusive and demanded that we leave. He was totally impervious to reason and could not wait to usher us from the premises. What a good thing we left! We have never been treated this way in many years of travelling - he appears not to consider that he is part of a service industry. The main pity is that he is not a member of a professional body or organisation so that these reports might be taken seriously. He does no good to the reputation of York hoteliers. We were made very welcome at the Premier Inn up the road to restore our faith in hotel keepers.

Room Tip: Do not even bother to try. Please!
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

stayed for one night 3rd november 2012. made very welcome. room clean but a little outdated. good breakfast with good choice. in a good area of yark. near to the town centre, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

13 of us stayed at Clifton bridge for my hen do. I was apprehensive about the place due to other reviews but have to say we found it the complete opposite.
The owner was friendly and couldn't do enough for us, even dropping and picking us all up from the town centre! We all had good sized rooms that were clean and looked after and the breakfast was lovely, an overall great valued b&b, would definitely go again

• Stayed October 2012
Leigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This place was recommended to us by a friend who had previously stayed with her grandaughter and felt very comfortable. We had a great time. The owner was extremely busy making sure everyone was well cared for; nothing seemed too much trouble. He never stops! He offered to take us into town in his vehicle to save us walking and, although we passed on the offer, we did see him taking other guests on a couple of occasions over the weekend. He'd also travelled back across town to get my husband some milk, as we'd run out, even though we said we could wait for it. The bedrooms were clean and tidy, the breakfast was good and it's in a great location. You're out of the city hustle and bustle so you get a peaceful night's sleep yet the city centre is only a few minutes walk down the lovely river. Would definitely visit again. Great service - What a gent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Having read one of the reviews comparing Arthur to Basil Fawlty i was quite looking forward to a "themed" style stay at the Clifton Bridge.... how much fun would it be to stay at Fawlty Towers ?

Disappointingly, Arthur turned out to be nothing like the crackpot Landlord of Fawlty Towers. He was courteous, helpful and friendly.....

We arrived at 3 o'clock, Arthur wasn't around but arrived within a couple of minutes of us ringing him. He showed us to our room which was quite small.... largely due to the massif King sized double bed (which was very comfortable and clean) taking up so much space. The smallish en suite bathroom with a great power shower was also very clean. A decent size TV and brewing facilities were present and correct. Large radiators in both bedroom and bathroom were piping hot .... so much so, we had to turn them off!!!

We stayed the one night.... it was actually difficult finding a hotel or B&B that takes one night bookings in York.
Full English breakfast with cereal, toast, fruit, fresh orange juice and coffee included in the price.

Anyone who as visited York will known how parking can be difficult and expensive.... when we asked Arthur for directions to a car park he suggested we leave the car at The B&B and collect it at the end of the day before leaving for home ....

I can recommend a stay at the Clifton Bridge we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clifton Bridge Guesthouse? Share your experiences!