“1st visit to York” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 213 York B&B and Inns
Guildford, United Kingdom
“1st visit to York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Wonderful friendly welcoming guest house. Very clean, we had come to York to watch the Tour de France and were very lucky to stay here, Pam & Tony really are wonderful host. All the staff are friendly & helpful. We had a very nice stay in York, just wish it was longer. We will be coming back and will be staying here again. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
primpops, Owner at Apple House Guest Accommodation, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thanks for your lovely comments following your stay during the Tour de France weekend. What a fantastic atmosphere it was and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have just returned home after another pleasant and enjoyable stay in York, during our stay we were guests at The Apple House, Holgate Road York, Yorkshire.

Over the last 11 years we have booked in at The Apple House, and have found it to be one of the nicest Guest Houses that we have ever had the pleasure to stay at.

The benefits of this Guest House are,

Within a short walk from The Main York Railway Station, and The City Centre.
There is a first class breakfast menu either cooked or a plentiful amount of fresh fruit, cereals, and yoghurts etc. plus tea and coffee.

The rooms are clean and pleasant, with en-suite bathrooms and television. Another feature is the Free WIfi throughout, something other establishments will charge a high rate for.

We have stayed at The Apple House up to 6 times a year over the past 11 years, on a few occasions we have had stayed elsewhere when the Guest House was full, but always preferred to return to The Apple House.

We always receive a friendly welcome from the owners Pam and Tony George and their Staff which does make our arrival pleasant.

The owners and Staff are always, clean, tidy and well presented, which makes them a credit to York and Yorkshire.

We will definitely stay at The Apple House again.

Mac and Carol Gateley
Jersey. Channel Islands

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear are not very far from the main railway line into York, but with the double gla...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for once again reviewing our bed and breakfast. It is always lovely to see you and we are really pleased you are happy here and continue to return to us. Regular clientele make up 50 percent of our guests so it is great to know that even when we cannot accommodate you occasionally, we are always your first choice when returning to York. See you next time
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I booked a twin room and a double room at this B&B guest house. The double room was on the front of the house and was quiet. The twin room was on the back of the house and we could hear trains until late at night. That said, it did not keep us awake even though we kept the window open because it was June. Unlike a previous review, I found the rooms to be extremely clean and that included the bath and toilet. Our room was serviced each day. Breakfasts were hearty and tasty. The hosts were friendly and helpful. Location is near one of the gates to the Roman Wall and walking downtown took about 15-20 minutes. Plenty of off street parking.

Room Tip: As for a room on the front of the house and on the lower floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
primpops, Owner at Apple House Guest Accommodation, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you so much for writing your review. Our rooms are clean and serviced daily and we thank you for recognising this. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Like most people, I am very reluctant to give a bad review, but when I visited here recently with my partner this one took the apple....I mean biscuit!
The "double" room was so small there was insufficient space for a wardrobe, and a rail had been fitted to a shelf in a recess in the wall. Since our clothes were the most colourful thing to look at in the otherwise dowdy room, on reflection maybe that was no bad thing!
I`m not sure what the owners meant when they said rooms were serviced daily.Judging from the amount of dust on the furniture and lamps in the bedroom, and the fact that the bathroom looked as though it hadn`t been properly cleaned for weeks if not months and had a thick layer of dust on the shaving light, the word "service" must have a different meaning to the owners of Apple House than it does to the rest of us!
Given the disparity between some of the good reviews written and our experience of this guest house, one has to wonder exactly who has written the fantastical reviews?!
Although this guest house claimed to have a 4 star rating awarded by Enjoy England when my partner and I booked our stay with them, on checking this up they hadn`t been a member of Enjoy England (now called Visit England) for at least 3 years! Please see photos I have uploaded as evidence that my review is an accurate account of my experience at this guest house.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We have taken our time to respond to your reviews, as we are courteous, kind and totally professional people and we would like to thank you and your partner for taking the time to write your comments. We take all feedback, good and bad very seriously and act on it. If we are not informed of guests’ unhappiness then there isn’t much we can do about it and we certainly had no idea of yours during your three nights here.
We moved you into a room at your request which wasn’t fully serviced as no-one was due to occupy that room (due to refurbishment of the bathroom). You were happy to take the room as it was on the first floor which suited your medical condition. I came to service the room whilst you were out for dinner but you were resting and this was declined. I knocked on your door later and you informed me that everything was just fine. Your room was serviced the next day, you had used your shower and fresh towels were left – apologies for my chambermaid leaving them on the toilet lid. She has been reprimanded! We did replace them however.

Décor is personal choice and one which is continually being recognised by positive customer comments. We are not a boutique guest house or hotel but a bed and breakfast and utilise the space in the rooms as effectively as possible.

The protocol when using the booking agency with whom you made your reservation is such that we do not have access to your credit card details They, in fact, take the first night’s money as a deposit and your outstanding balance is settled directly with us. It is always more expensive booking through an agency due to the large commissions they charge us. Leaving would not have been an issue if we had known you were unhappy as guests comfort is our priority and had you made us aware of your discomfort we would have resolved the matter gladly. As a successful bed and breakfast business in York our overheads are high and the ‘substantial amount’ of money we make is spent on these.

We are a fully paid up member of Visit York and Visit England and have been for 23 years. They have no issues whatsoever with our standards and would be more than happy to answer any potential guests’ concerns regarding this review. We had our last full inspection from Enjoy England Quality in Tourism in November 2013 and were awarded a high 4 star level which means the requirements were exceeded. This grading is given on an anonymous overnight visit. Once again, if any prospective guests reading this would like to see the report or discuss any issues with us please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be more than happy to talk.
We do inspect the rooms before guests check in and on this occasion we didn’t as the room wasn’t due to be occupied. The shaver light did have an excessive amount of dust – our chambermaids are titchy and the shaver lights are high but we have made them aware that this area must not be overlooked if you’ll pardon the pun! By posting this response, your comments have been noted and corrective action has taken place.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

On my arrival there had been a mistake with the booking of my room and Pat went well over and above my expectations to make everything right, thank you!
She had also taken into account my dietary needs, I was very impressed!
I would definitely recommend it.
Diana

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of The Apple House and our hospitality. We are so pleased all was well in the end and hope to see you again
Harrogate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have stayed at the apple guest house a number of times and each time I have stayed I have been more than happy with everything. The staff are more than happy to help and make my stay at the guest house a comfortable and pleasant experience the room I stayed in was lovely with a nice selection of treats upon my arrival a yorkie bar and biscuits was a lovely touch to the room. The breakfast was gorgeous with a huge range of choice from fresh fruit to award winning sausages I was more than happy with everything. Nice and close to the city centre. I would not hesitate to come and stay again. I'm Planning on coming back in august with my family for another wonderful stay at the apple guest house

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
primpops, Owner at Apple House Guest Accommodation, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thanks for choosing to stay at The Apple House again and review our B and B. It is always lovely to welcome you and your friends back and we are delighted that once again you had a lovely stay. We look forward to seeing you in August and meeting your family.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

If this is a 4 star guest house then my house is Buckingham Palace!
Like everyone else, when my partner and I go on holiday we want to relax, and generally overlook any minor things that are wrong with our accommodation. However, the list of things that was awful about this place is extensive:-
The first room we were put in had a dreadful smell from the drains; there were layers of dust on the bedside lamps; the room was small with dated décor and furniture all of which was tasteless.
Since we had given a deposit and the owners had our bank details, although we felt like leaving it was very difficult for us to do so without losing our money for the three night stay.
Although the alternative room we were given didn`t have a bad odour from the drains, there were clearly still drainage problems - evident from the loud gurgling noise whenever we used the wash hand basin. The shower head was filthy and there was mould on the shower doors; a thick layer of dust was on the shaving light and the bathroom radiator was filthy. The room was very small for a double bedroom; again the décor was dated and tasteless and there was a cheap looking plastic plant that was covered in dust. Again, the bedside lamps were also covered in dust and the general impression was that as little effort as possible was put in to cleaning the rooms for the benefit of the guests out of whom the owners are making a substantial amount of money. When my partner and I returned to our room on the second day of our stay we were shocked to find that replacement towels had been put on top of the toilet seat! Even if the toilet had been cleaned (which it hadn`t been as evident from the fact that there was still toilet paper in it due to flushing problems) given that a toilet is a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria and germs - we were absolutely appalled at the dreadful standard of cleanliness or hygiene adhered to at this supposed 4 star guest house.
When we contacted Enjoy England (which the guest house signage on both their web site and on the door of their building states they are a member and has awarded them a 4 star rating, we were informed that Enjoy England is now called Visit England and that Apple House Guest House has not infact been a member for over 3 years!
My partner and I have never been so pleased to leave any guest house or hotel that we have been in (and we have travelled extensively both in the U.K. and abroad). Whilst we are generally reluctant to give a bad review of guest houses, given the extent of the dreadful standards of this one which claims to be a four star guest house, on this occasion we both feel that a bad review is merited so that other travellers are not ripped off.

Room Tip: Book in to an alternative Guest House
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Apple House Guest Accommodation? Share your experiences!