“Very Happy weekend stay at the Queens Hotel, can't wait to stay again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Queens Hotel

You added The Queens Hotel to your Saves list
The Queens Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Queens Staith | Skeldergate, York YO1 6DH, England   |
Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in York
Milton Keynes
“Very Happy weekend stay at the Queens Hotel, can't wait to stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband took me on a surprise weekend to the Queens Hotel in York. I had always wanted to go to York but we had never quite got there. I have to say my husband got it so right. The hotel was comfortable, nice staff, great food and he had paid extra for a river view which was wonderful. Unfortunately it was raining while we were there and the river flooded so we weren't able to take advantage of the car park as it flooded for the whole weekend.

The hotel is very near everything you could possibly want in York, museums, shops, cafes, restaurants, cathedrals etc.etc. all so near the Queens Hotel. We had a wonderful day in York on the Saturday, even the sun shone on us for the day. We purchased a hop on and off open topped bus tour which we could use for the whole day. We even managed to visit the small cinema in the centre of York on Friday night. We spent 7 hours on Saturday shopping and sightseeing and boy did we have sore feet but had a wonderful day.

My husband had booked dinner, bed and breakfast and all the meals we had were very substantial, excellent and hot, well done to the chefs. Steve our waiter was very friendly and helpful.

Our room was of a good size, with lovely en suite bathroom and shower, nice view of the river with ducks and geese passing by. We both want to go back to York beause we didn't manage the Ghost Walk and a few other venues. We will definitely be doing a return visit - can't wait.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

We were in York at short notice for a friends birthday.  We booked the room with about 1 weeks notice and were glad to find somewhere that had a room available for both the nights we were planning to stay.Good points:Great location - close to everything, the centre of York was quite small and easy to walk around, this hotel was right in the centre.Breakfast was included in our booking - a welcome change to have this included.  Standard sort of breakfast, cereal/full English/toast.Large room - a large double and a single bed in our room.Early check in - I arrived by train around 11am and was told the room was ready for me, however my partner was driving up and he had reserved the room on his credit card, as I didn't have a card to confirm the booking I couldn't access the room until my other half arrived - but there was plenty to do around York in the mean time.Large bathroom - with enough room to swing a cat and a bath long enough to enjoy a good soak in!Bad points:As I arrived I thought to myself "good, the hotel is on a quiet side street", just across the river from the hussle and bussle, however, at night the street outside our room (on the opposite side of the hotel to the river) was very noisey with people shouting and picking fights with wheelie bins.  I think it all died down around 3am or so. The room was very hot and stuffy - no air con and the window would only open a certain amount before being blocked.The hairdrier in the bathroom worked for about 30 seconds before giving off a burning smell and cutting itself off until if had cooled down.  Most of the bad points aren't the fault of the hotel, or could be easily improved.Other points:Breakfast - served in a small room, but staff had a queue in operation and we waited in the bar area overlooking the river.  We were called when a table was ready.  Thankfully this meant we didn't have to hang around all those who were eating and then race to a table when it was free.  Well organised.Lack of plug sockets in the room - all of the electrical items in the room had their wires embedded in the wall behind the plaster, they were not plugged in via a socket in the room.  We only found one single plug socket available for our use, but that was OK as we only had two phones and a camera to charge and we took it in turns, but if you need more sockets I'd suggest you take you own multi-plug!The hotel's own parking was full, but staff suggested a local NCP car park about 5 minutes walk away - in the end this turned out to be cheaper than the hotel's fee per night!I liked this hotel, I would certainly stay there again if I ever go to York and need a cheap(ish) and cheerful place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Market Rasen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Great location, pleasant staff (although couldn't help much when we asked where we could go to eat and had to hand us a tourist guide. Faulty key card to room dorr but was resolved quickly. Nice breakfast. Recommended place to stay and would stay there again

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We booked the day before for this hotel and were aware that it was the last room , however considering the price £95 BB we felt quite let down with the actual room , it was over the car park which had a mechanical gate which you could hear opening and shutting and the room itself was adjacent to the corridor between reception and bar restaurant area the toilet for guests was also outside our room therefore it was constantly noisy and we felt lacked privacy .
on the positive side the bar had fabulous views over the river and although the drinks were as always a little pricey it was worth paying extra for the views and comfort, breakfast was very nice but the dining area is tiny so we did have to wait to get a table. We did not manage to get a parking space but were not to far from a 24 lock up car park so the disadvantage of a late booking is not being able to park on site.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Stoke
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

Staff were friendly and very helpful, especially as I kept calling ahead of my trip to ask questions, as it was my first trip to York.
The restaurant staff were a bit too efficient. I was dining at the same time as a large group of pensioners, and I felt roped in with them, like I was on a conveyor belt. The waitor even snatched away my starter plate before I had finished and I had to ask him to leave me alone while I decided when I wanted dessert.
Walls are paper thin, so don't expect a good night's sleep. The couple next to me were fond of slamming doors, playing the TV late, rather loud coupling, regular bathroom trips and one of them snored very loudly. I know this because I could hear it all, loud and clear, throughout the night. The hotel really needs to properly sound-proof the rooms.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We enjoyed our one night stay at the Queens Hotel earlier this month. We weren't lucky enough to get a river view, but we did get a good price and the hotel's location couldn't have been better, with all attractions within easy walking distance. We had tickets for a show at the Opera House, and just had a short stroll across the river to get back afterwards. We certainly had no complaints about cleanliness or excessive noise - the room was spotless and well furnished and we had a good night's sleep. We could check in early too - at around 11 am - which was a bonus. The staff we came across were all courteous and helpful, and breakfast was plentiful, with a decent choice and plenty of room to move around, so our experience was different from some reviewers'. We'd definitely use the Queens again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
North East
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

I booked the queens well in advance for the sought after room on the corner, wish we hadnt bothered the noise was riddiculous!you could hear shouting , police cars the ducks on the river bank to name a few all night. It was like staying in a caravan. the only good part was the breakfast which no one should complain about!. My only judgement is the noise, the grumpy morning reception staff i could of lived with

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!