“weekend away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 45 Hotels in York
leeds
“weekend away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

what lovely friendly hotel,even though the river was up to the front entrance everything was great .we went for a river view which has a £10 supplement but was well worth it ,our room was nice and clean great soft bed ,a wall mounted tv with all freeview channels .The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was great all in all brilliant little hotel well worth the money will book again the next time we go to york cant wait

Room Tip: pay extra for river view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Leeds, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Got there 5:00pm 21/12/2012, main side door flooded so had to use main street entrance which is normally the goods entrance; which stinks of kitchen waste and houses the refuse bin area.
Rooms adequate but very dated, no refurbishment since 2000.
Heating Radiators in most rooms faulty (three couples staying as a group in three differing rooms) all flickered on and off consequently the room's never got warm.
Mrs Samantha Ashby, the manageress, was most abrupt and aged around an arrogant 35 tried to charge us an extra £100 for smoking in the room. This was apparently down to the hotel linen maid reporting such! We don't smoke! More....she must have just popped her nose in as after breakfast the bed had not been made?( The smoking charge was dropped when I pointed out the charge was illegal.)

The food is sloppily prepared and the lift still has a trip up carpet, which on viewing another video site, was the same back in March 2012.Watch out for it as you might alight the lift nose first, bit like the linen maid.
You are able to book a car parking space at £12 a night however, the car park was flooded and 'Miss Ashby' refused to reimburse us siting, 'Gods work', re the flooding!
The doors to all the rooms CRASH/BANG shut in closing, so if your a light sleeper don't expect to dream for long.
One final note: take a look at all the comments on this hotel AND note not once has 'ASHBY' replied to repudiate one of them! NOW tell me my view of her arrogance is wrong. PLEASE avoid this badly managed hotel, if you want a good experience of YORK.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel, its the pits.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Samantha A, Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your review, all comments whether positive or negative are helpful to us.

I am sorry that the recent floods we endured in York affected your stay, albeit only having the inconvenience of having to use the service entrance to the Hotel. Unfortunately our location means we are prone to regular flooding of our car park and occasionally the front entrance which we inevitably have to close and protect with our flood barrier. Our bins are usually stored within our car park and away from our entrance however we had to relocate them due to flooding. The bins were emptied on the morning of your arrival and no refuse is stored inside the Hotel. All of our bedrooms were re-decorated with a complete new colour scheme in 2012 and previous to that 2007, in 2012 we also changed our bedroom linen to duvets. Our Reception, Lounge and Restaurant were re-decorated in 2011. Our rooms have individual wall heaters with temperature controls along the top which can be set to suit your needs, I have asked our Maintenance Person to check the heaters of the rooms which you occupied during your stay.
Although I may have checked you into the Hotel I was most certainly not involved in raising any charges for smoking in your rooms as I was off duty on the weekend you stayed with us. It appears that my Reception and Housekeeping team decided to raise these charges without following our usual procedure of 3 independent checks by duty management staff, I am sorry for the embarrassment caused to you and your friends and can assure you that all of the team have been reminded of our smoking charge procedures.
Our car parking charges of £10 for an overnight stay are never charged to guests when the car park is flooded, we always refund any money already paid to us and do not raise charges to those who have pre booked a space in this instance. Having checked your bookings, none of your invoices show any car parking charges.I refute your allegation that I 'refused to reimburse you' for car parking as this just wasn't the case. All guests are advised to use an alternative car park within walking distance to the Hotel, the charges for alternative car parking are the responsibility of the guest.
On my final note; I find your capitalisation of my surname ('ASHBY') as well as other words completely uncalled for and quite aggressive. If you or any other guests have genuine complaints you should write to me directly and I will be happy to discuss and apologise for any shortfalls. You are quite right, I do not respond to comments on Trip Advisor but I felt on this ocassion I needed to as you were clearly goading me. Trip Advisor is a forum for you as guests and visitors to air your opinions and views, I do not believe it is a medium to contact properties and expect responses.
Preston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Having booked this hotel due to its central location and competitive price, we arrived to find the carpark had flooded and told there was no other alternate nearby free parking. After patiently waiting for the receptionist to acknowledge my precence at the main desk, she then informed me the nearest long stay overnight parking (NCP) was near the train station and that it was £14! Therefore making what at first a £65 double room now nearly £80 and an inconvenience walk through the City with luggage. Is it too much to ask for the staff at The Queens Hotel to inform potential customers the parking arrangments prior to booking??? I think not! Letter of complaint in the post, wont be stopping there again.Lots more Hotels to choose from that are cheaper and have parking facilities.

Room Tip: add £14 onto whatever room you choose per day for parking which is a 10 minute walk away.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

got this room as a deal. it was advertised as a superior room! sorry to say there was nothing superior about it. hairs in bath cobwebs in room. Paid £10 parking then told we couldnt leave car till 12 whilst we shopped as fully booked ? so was told to go to the ncp where we paid another £8.80 for 3 hours. A superior room for me would be more than a big room .

It was a double bed and it smelt musty? Didnt feel welcome at all stayed at much better places before. Wont be returning will go somewhere else.

Room Tip: ring for a parking place
Cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I had read the reviews before booking so I knew what to expect. We wanted to be in the city centre and so the location of this hotel is fantastic. We upgraded for £10 per night to a river view and were not disappointed; rather large room too. We were however, disappointed with the bathroom cleanliness and decor which has seen better days and concur with some other reviewers comments. The breakfast was plentiful and with lots of choice. The hotel was also quiet at night and the bed was very comfortable. We decided to look beyond the bathroom issues for a couple of nights and really enjoyed our stay in York.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 x nights from 14/12/12.Tried to pre book a car parking space 1 week prior to travelling only to be told it was fully booked. Traveled by train only & 10 minute walk to hotel.Arrived early no problem with checking in allowed into room on arrival, Tried to upgrade Room but told all other rooms were taken.Was positioned on the 3rd floor issue with lift (not working)not a problem to walk the stairs soon become operational later in the day.On entering the room there was a strong smell of stall tobacco we had been allocated a smokers room although my wife & myself don't smoke.Never booked a smokers room when booking a room with the agent.Should have complained but wife talked me out of doing same.Sky light window not a good view.Rooms require a lick of paint / face lift. Plenty of hot water but the shower regulator requires attention.Bed was comfortable although sheets were torn but clean.Breakfast is self service (buffet style) plentiful & filling although limited when all patrons descend at the same time.Hotel is ideally situated for shopping & nightlife.

Room Tip: Check if travelling by car for space & if allocated smokers room is a option.
Yarm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Only stayed for one night for a shopping trip in York. The hotel is ideally placed being only a short walk from the shopping centre The room was very spacious and well equipped. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good with plenty of selection. We stayed for dinner on the evening and found the food was good, the only downside would be that the selection was a little limited and the dining area was on the small side and chilly. (But it was minus 4deg outside) Don't know how the dining area would cope with a full hotel. Next time we are planning a trip to York we would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river, even in the bad weather it is a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!