“Break away ” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   6 Southlands Road, York YO23 1NP, England   |
Ranked #139 of 216 York B&B and Inns
“Break away ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Recently stay here while visiting family and I must say I will be back.The room was nicely decorated and so clean,and the staff were so helpful.Would definitely recommend to friends and will be back later in the year.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

What a lovely place to stay. I stayed here recently on a visit to York to see old friends. Homelea was exactly as I'd seen on the website, the room was clean bright and roomy. I chose this B and B because they did breakfast in the room which is great for a lone traveller.

Room Tip: I had the ground floor front room, which had amazing wallpaper and was furnished to a high standard...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Sara A, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank-you so much for taking the time to post a lovely, positive review. We would love to welcome you back to Holmlea and sign you up to our happy band of loyal Holmlea followers. If you have a moment to follow us on Facebook that would be tremendous. Thank-you once again and don't forget to book direct with Sara if you wish to return to Holmlea.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed here recently and the whole experience was a delight!

The location of the B&B is so central and fantastic value for money, and the lovely colourful mosaic path and entrance door set the scene perfectly for our stay.

We were made to feel very welcome by the lovely owner, and we felt instantly comfortable and at home; nothing seemed to be too much trouble for her.

Our room was on the top floor and had lots of sweet, quirky touches which really added to the unique theme of the property. We could tell that a lot of love and attention had been put into the decor and furnishings, it has so much personality! Our room was immaculate and had a bright, airy feel to it.

In the morning, breakfast was delivered to our room, which we found was a lovely personal touch. It was fresh and tasty.

Thank you Sara for a lovely stay, we will definitely be back next time we visit York!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have stayed at this guest house a few times and I can't fault it :) always stay in room 6 which is at the very top it's an attic room but decorated beautifully and plenty of room... i have just read the comment from the 27th I think complaining about this guest house and the top room and I don't know what room they stayed in because it's nothing like they have said! Sara is a wonderful owner who will answer any questions you have and is on hand if you need her, she isn't at the guest house 24/7 but she explains this in her email when u book with her and gives u her mobile number to contact her , the guest house is a short walk from the town and is a situated in in a nice quite area! I have just taken my friend to York for her birthday and she loved it! I have booked another weekend here in may with a bunch of my friends for a girly weekend :) as it is stated this is an guest house not a hotel so yes u may need to bring a towel and a hairdryer but so what ? For the money u have to pay it's perfect :) and it is explained on the website that it is a continental breakfast which I found perfect :) absolutely recommend this place and can't wait to stay here again!! I at first was put off by some reviews before I first ever stayed here but I went regardless and im so glad I did!! I will always stay here when in York! Can't fault it :) it's clean, comfy and HOMELY :)

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Sara A, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank-you so very much for taking the time to write this lovely review, I was quite disheartened after the previous review which was frankly very upsetting. We are so very glad to welcome you into our little band of lovely, loyal Holmlea fans and we will do our very best to live up to expectations every time you visit. Until we meet again Becky! Thank-you!
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Basically you get what you pay for and this was one of the cheapest B and B's we saw in york so you can't expect wonders.
The decor was nice in the room, brightened it up being quite a small room. breakfast was advertised as toast and fruit etc so we knew what to expect no complaints there.

The few issues we had with our stay were the shower head was leaking badly making for a pretty poor shower, light bulb had gone in the main light fitting, door to bathroom was very squeaky and the metal door bracket could have been scoured clean to make it look cleaner and tidier. All pretty basic things that could easily be fixed.

Location is good a short walk into the centre about 15 minutes. Parking permit is handy to have and this comes free with the room.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Sara A, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank-you for taking the time to review us. We have taken your comments on board and all that you have mentioned has now been dealt with. We hope that we can welcome you back one day. Thank-you for choosing Holmlea.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just returned from a night away at Holmlea Guest House in York. Very close to York city centre. We were greated on arrival and shown to our room which was beautifully decorated and very clean,ignore the bad reviews, I don't know what people expect for the money. Yes the room was compact but this was not a problem for us. We were quite pleased because we got into our room earlier than expected at about half 11. Lots of advice and maps left out on the bed for us. Lovely breakfast, nice to have breakfast in bed for once! All in all a good break! If you are thinking of a weekend in York, I would reccomend staying at Holmlea Guest House.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Sara A, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank-you so much for your lovely review, we really appreciate the time it takes to write a review and how easy it is to not if you've had a positive experience. We would be so happy to welcome you into our little band of loyal Holmlea followers. If you wish to visit in the future please book direct with Sara via our website to get the best rates. We wish you good luck and enjoy this lovely Spring weather.
Bude, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015

Greeted 1st thing by...nobody. Up to a room that was so small and awkward. Unpacked and threw bag on top of the wardrobe (bad idea) covered with a think blanket of dust. On further inspection the room was so disappointingly small with a sloping ceiling no shelves or table for your cup of tea. Sat having a cup of tea on the bed started noticing mould on the ceiling and due to the strong wind an awful draft from a huge gap in the window sealing when shut! Don't get me started with the carpet full of horrid looking stains that had tried to be cleaned only to highlight the fact of how grotty it really was everywhere else! It may be clean as the owner insists but it just did not feel it and looks altogether grim. No mattress protectors and only one small towel each.

If you are looking at the photos thinking how nice it looks be prepared as it most defiantly did
NOT look as homely as the pictures online.

In the morning after the cardboard toast (nice lady who brought it up though) and only an offer of age old cheap cereal with yum ....(not)UHT milk (even though there was a fridge ideal for providing real milk), shower time where after 5 minutes of being in there the loose shower head fell off leaving me with a huge lump on my head all day :( back to the room to dry my hair and no hairdryer in room and no one around to ask!

The nature of my visit was to visit an very ill close relative so I could not stop to think and find someone to express my upset. However when checking out I did mention the disappointment to the nice breakfast lady. She seemed to be quite used to this reaction and agreed about the carpet. But as the owner was not there and being in a rush to squeeze extra time in with the ill family member I thought id express my disappointment when home to Sara. If you are thinking of doing this beware it was met with real aggresive defensiveness as though I was not important at all, I had made it all up and she basically was not interested with my complaints. CUSTOMER SERVICE = NIL , not even a shred of concern or a sorry!!! Its clear the defensive manner is from lots of previous complaints.

After further discussion and a suggestion of a refund from our £160 bill she did refund £50 to me that is admitting is wasn't perfect , but what we had to go though to get a refund she decided on was disgusting! and not enough quite frankly. She patronised, called my husband a nasty person just for explaining his upset. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!

At 'holmlea' (Not really, my homes clean!) the customer is most defiantly never right! Don't even think about complaining or a refund for the worst small business stay Ive ever experienced. All I was told is in a very patronising manner was how 'if i didn't like it I could have left' not good service. I could not , I was 500 miles from home in Devon and had to much to deal with seeing my ill family member at the time, and knowing theres a no refund after booking and no manager on hand to speak to I just had to get on with it.

I am a big supporter of a local business, especially being from York originally but this stay would defiantly have been better at a chain Hotel at least you get a nice breakfast and customer service!

Could do with a serious visit from The Hotel inspector! I would not return EVER!

Que Saras defensive comeback....

Room Tip: Don't choose Room 7
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Sara A, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Oh dear, I had to sit down and have a custard cream after that one, how to annihilate a small business in one review! We’ve taken the serious complaints and addressed them, carpet replaced etc. These guests ended their e-mail with ‘give us a refund and I’ll say no more’ (please note - no ‘please’). I think I’ll say no more. Except ‘que’ is spelt ‘cue’.

Been to Holmlea Guest House? Share your experiences!