“Overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #142 of 213 York B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Lovely little guest house. Very clean and well organised. Enjoyed all the little extras. Good location only a 15 minute walk from the city centre. sara was very helpful. Telling us where to eat. You must try the olive tree restaurant. Amazing food

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed at Holmea in York as part of a 7 week holiday. We have stayed in many B&B's during this time.Sara had done a fantastic job with each of the rooms. Ours was very small but immaculate. It is recently decorated and absolutely the best is made of a small space. It was so bright and cheery. It was well located and quiet. Parking was available directly across the road and a permit supplied. As others have commented the owners do not live on site but all the directions were clear about entry and parking permits etc. Breakfast was delivered to your room at exactly the time you nominated. I probably would have preferred to have it in dining room because it is easier to eat and gives you a chance to talk to other travellers and exchange travel tips. However it is not a reason not to go here and the bonus is you can lounge around in bed. Sara has done a great joy in redecorating and it was a pleasure to stay at Holmea. Also we had no trouble with wifi.

Room Tip: Ask Sara for the biggest room available. They are all decorated differently but look fantastic.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Holmlea is a lovely stop over. WiFi was not available on my first stay as I was on the top floor. It worked perfectly on the ground floor when I returned. Breakfast is served to your room which is lovely. Quality of bed and linen is good. Really clean and convenient for all the central attractions of York. I had my bike with me and could easily reach the riverside and vast network of cycling paths. I will definitely stay again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sybil1968, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
In response to the comments about WiFi access on the top floor room, I have now installed a WiFi booster so that there is a consistent coverage throughout the house.
west yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had a lovely time in York staying at holmlea, we had the whole top floor to ourselves my husband and my friend it was like having our own penthouse. Peaceful no fuss or hassle breakfast in bed. Suited us perfect, lovely stroll into york centre about 10-15 mins

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed in Room 1, right inside the front door. The owner emailed shortly before our stay, to verify our arrival time and provide instructions to get into the building,. The owner wasn't there when we arrived, but our keys were right where she said they would be, along with some info about the room and city. The decor was quirky and fun. The only drawback was that the carpet was slightly damp near the radiator. We found it to be good value, and a short walk to the center of town!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Decided to stay for two nights, arrived to no greeting just instructions and no approprate towels for a shower. Mattress was hard and so were the pillows but the room was clean and good size, bathroom little small. Woke up at midnight to regulars staggering in, shouting to one another on the landing and arguing with foul language and they didn't go quiet till 3:30am after a blazing row. No owner on site only contactable via mobile so contacted the next morning to go to voicemail and not a returned phone call until after we had to vacate the room. Once the owner was spoken to they advised me that the regulars were being evicted only to find out that they hadn't and got away with "we had more to drink than we thought and we promise to be quiet tonight" so weren't evicted. Overall disappointed that the trouble makers stayed and us being the innocent had to be punished.

• Stayed May 2014
Sybil1968, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
This event was a completely unacceptable one and as I pointed out to this guest, a rare one. We are a family run bed & breakfast and do not tolerate any rowdy behaviour. We do not take stag and hen parties and I am careful to vet any group bookings. The guest who was responsible for the disturbance had stayed with us three times before and had not caused any previous disturbance. I apologised profusely to this reviewer, refunded 50% of his room rate for the disturbance which he seemed happy with but he was insistent that he wanted to leave.

My first concern when I spoke with this reviewer was to assure them that I would evict the guests if they decided to stay but they chose not to and it was only hours later that they changed their minds. By this time I had talked to the guest responsible for the disturbance and she assured me that there would be no repeat of the previous night's events. I told her that if there was any noise after 10pm then I would have no hesitation in calling the police. She was very clear that her behaviour had caused a great deal of upset and was not tolerated. Had I had any doubt whatsoever that the guests would have caused any more disturbance on the following night then I would have evicted them but I was quite sure it would not happen again. I certainly did not want a house full of disgruntled guests! As I said, the guest in question had stayed on numerous occasions without any problems so I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Regarding comments about the room; the towels are a bath sheet size, the bed is a hotel, industry standard bed (everyone has different mattress requirements, we can't please everyone). As regards the 'arriving to no greeting', I contact all guests to find out an approximate arrival time and if it is at an unsociable hour or I cannot meet them then they always have the digital entry code and are made aware of this at the time of booking and then this is reiterated prior to arrival by e-mail and text. If I am not onsite then I am always at the end of the phone and never very far away.

I am very sorry that his family's weekend away was ruined by the act of another guest and completely understand his anger and frustration. We are a quiet, family centred bed & breakfast and if you read other reviews then one of the main comments is that we are 'quiet', Holmlea is quiet and this was a very rare and unforgivable event. I will be putting up signs in all rooms after this event to alert guests to the fact that if they are arriving back late to the house then to please be considerate of other guests.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had room 1 ground floor nice clean room with a querky feel. Location is great for walking to city centre and free parking made the visit easier. Breakfast was good start to the day. Ensuite clean but shower not great. Biggest problem was a very rude guest who arrived at 1am banging and ringing door bell veryclpud as could not gain entry. In circumstances like this a clear phone number that is guaranteed to be answered may have diverted this but to be fair when I complained I did get verbal appology but was a little dismayed to be told some staff had ignored her call as it was so late. On the whole nice b&b excellent location. Would stay again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Holmlea Guest House? Share your experiences!