“a better travelodge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge York Central Micklegate

You added Travelodge York Central Micklegate to your Saves list
Travelodge York Central Micklegate
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Micklegate, York YO1 6JG, England (Formerly Ramada Encore)   |
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in York
the highlands
“a better travelodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

stayed 2 nights here. they have just improved the bedding and new mattress, which was very comfortable. loved the bathroom with walk in shower. its quieter at the back and some rooms have views towards the minster. we stayed during the week and it was quiet so cant comment about noise at weekends when no doubt its more busier. the buffet breakfast served on the first floor was very good. would stay again as its good value. if you want 5 star accommodation , then pay 5 star prices!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a two night stay at this hotel and have to say the location is very good and the room was as expected basic but acceptable and clean.
During our stay we only had 3 working tv stations which were bbc 1, 2 and bbc news although this complaint may seem petty but I feel the next bit of info I write is very important. I reported my issue to reception twice over the 2 days and got the response of "we'll get someone to have a look at it" but this never happened and were just fobbing us off and if there not willing to help with a small solvable complaint god knows what they would do with a major one!
I probably wouldn't stay here again if I returned to York due to the customer service or lack of it I received.

• Stayed September 2013
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge York Central Micklegate, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear shaniqua5, we’re sorry to learn that the service you received fell below our expectations. Our staff are expected to be helpful and provide high levels of service at all times. Your comments will be passed to our Hotel Management team so they are able to address these issues and remind staff of the importance of customer care.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay here after staying last year. It was what we expected, cheap and basic. We were on the first floor. Slight drains smell in the bathroom. The air conditioning didn't work properly, kept coming on and off sporadically. We reported it to Reception who said they'd sort it out but they didn't. They gave us a fan but it didn't help much. Comfy bed. Slight noise from the nightclub outside but nothing to keep you awake.

I probably wouldn't stay here again if I returned to York, would probably choose something a bit better quality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge York Central Micklegate, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear severalpolecat, we are sorry to learn of the problems you encountered at our Hotel. We do expect our staff to provide high levels of service at all times and resolve any issues raised by our customers as soon as possible. Our Hotel Manager will be made aware of your concerns so these issues can be addressed and feedback provided to the staff at the hotel.
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I know Travelodge is the lower end of the market and only expect simple, clean and basic rooms. This room was not clean, stains on chairs, beds and bathroom. I have stayed at the hotel across the road, Hotel 53, in the past and Travelodge looked nice from the outside so booked it this time. I will be back in the Hotel 53 next time I'm in York. Staff were apathetic and reflected the tired hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Beware of this hotel my brand new topshop cami went missing still had tags on informed reception didn't want to know and said one of my friends must have taken it as they were the only ones in my room erm no because the maid was in yesterday we all saw her!! I was offered no apology and there was no attempt to resolve the situation think the receptionist needs a lesson in customer service! On the other hand the rooms were good value for money and I wanted to make a special mention about a member of staff called Rhiannon she was lovely so helpful went over and above what was required off her I have emailed a complaint as I was told well if you want something done ring the police my train was leaving at 11.30 this morning so I didn't have time to wait for police and sit and make a statement not happy at all with this experience

• Stayed September 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Arrived and was checked straight in by very nice friendly staff. As expected and for the price we paid very basic room. However bed was comfy room clean and shower hot. Excellent location 5 mins from station and right in the heart of the city. The hotel was fully booked but no noise from other guests and would most definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Raglan, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I suspect a lot of people consider booking this hotel due to its central location close to the bars and restaurants in York, and the very low room prices. There were some other positives I can report - the bed was very comfortable, so much so that I'm considering buying a Travelodge mattress; the staff at breakfast were also very good and looked after the guests well.

Unfortunately other aspects of my stay have led me to give this hotel a one-star rating. On entering my room I saw that a stream of water was coming out of the air-conditioning unit; it was evident that the hotel were aware of this as some towels had been placed underneath. I was surprised that they expected someone to stay in there, especially as the water in air conditioning units can be contaminated with bacteria. I reported this to the receptionist who was apologetic and quickly sorted out another room for me.

The air conditioning in the next room was fine but there was an awful smell coming from the bathroom. I asked the receptionist about this and she said it was to do with the York sewerage system and assured me that most properties in York are affected by this in the summertime. I somewhat naively believed this and decided not to switch rooms (I don't think this would have helped anyway as my friends who were staying here on the same floor said the smell from their bathrooms was just as bad). On the second night the drains had got worse and I could smell them in the bedroom. Other less serious issues we noted during our stay were cardboard bacon at breakfast; a long tear across a sofa in one of the supposedly refurbished rooms; and dirty carpets. I would have appreciated the opportunity to give some feedback on our stay but the receptionist was very offhand when we checked out, he just reached out a hand to take our room cards and mumbled thank-you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge York Central Micklegate, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear PebbleL, we are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Travelodge. We do expect our rooms to smell fresh and our staff should provide high levels of service at all times. Our facilities should also be in good working order and we would like to take this opportunity to investigate the concerns that you have raised. Please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to offer a resolution.

Been to Travelodge York Central Micklegate? Share your experiences!