“Steer Clear!” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Hull Road | nr Wilberfoss, York YO41 5PF, England   |
Ranked #183 of 216 York B&B and Inns
“Steer Clear!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

What a dive! My husband and I stayed at the Steer Inn as we were attending a wedding close by we booked the Steer despite the poor reviews more fool us! We booked a family room and arrived on the Friday night, the room was tiny and filthy! There were cobwebs all over the ceiling in the bathroom, mould on the bottom of the walls and the carpet was filthy very much in need of replacing throughout the whole room! The furniture was very dated, scratched and some of it was even broken! The curtains were filthy to! I could go on and on about the faults here!
We were meant to stay 3 nights but cut our weekend short as we were desperate to get out of there! (we would have cancelled all 3 nights but had to stay because of the wedding!)
The Saturday night we were there was horrendous to saythe least there was a party downstairs which was awfully loud and went on until the early hours meaning no sleep until nye on 4am! On complaining to the manager the next day he was totally unapologetic all we got was 'oh well it was a saturday night and I did tell them to be quiet at 3am!' very curt and unwelcoming he knew very well there were familys trying to sleep! Do not stay here if you have small children with
you! And learn from my mistakes LiSTEN to the bad reviews and Steer clear of the Steer Inn! BEWARE

• Stayed June 2012
cram077, Owner at The Steer Inn, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
lets get this right, this posh woman books a family room clearly stating 2 adults and 1 child,then turns up with 3 children,we tried our best to accomodateher family,but the only room that would was an older room we hadnt refurbed yet,when asked if ok for her the reply was yes??next at no extra cost we served breakfasts for all her family at no point was the room made to be an issue,we knew it was dated, but we also knew it was clean and sterile,and certainly not full of cobwebs like a scene from a ghost train ride!!!!!! as she far over exagerates. on saturday night,her second night we were celebrating our great queens jubilee as were most of the hotel, but when this woman rolled in at 1am with her kids from a wedding ,hardly a good time for young children, she expected all the other guests to shut up and go to bed as she made clear to them 10 minutes later,the jubilee was a one off,and a time to celebrate our country together, she after this night she decided to cut her stay short and expected a full refund for her last night,which she did get part of but not all,this was much to her disatifaction and how now decided to visiously attack our business through trip advisor to which i am very annoyed, no wonder this womens husband acted like a terrifield trembling sheep frightened to speak,i actually think he would have liked to enjoy the queens celebrations too, but hey ho,you choose your bed you lie in it!!!!unfortunatelythere are people who come to enjoy our great place and others who come to destroy and disrupt, and here we see it as clear as day!!!!!!our room cost her 75.00 per night for 5 people,,,yes 5!! and we are budget accomodation 3 star MAYBE 5 STAR 350.00 WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER CHOICE.
nice happy people please visit us at the steer inn for a great time,good honest kind people,great rooms and food at a great price everyone can afford,,,, and people like the one that wrote this review please stay at home and be miserable on your own instead of ruining everyone elses pleasure in life.NIGEL CRAM/STEER INN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed for one night and glad it was only that. THe staff were very nice but the hotel was disappointing.
The room was ok but could do with a makeover. We ate in the restaurant that had life to to. Both of our first choice of food was off the menu and the second choice was not good.

York on the otherhand was wonderful despite the rain.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

despite the other reviews,this hotel needs updating we a frsh coat of paint everywhere,the room 5 we stayed in wasnt very clean at all,the room was stifferling hot and when we overlaid by 20 mins for breakfast we were greeted with an "oh dear"
wouldnt stay there again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed for one night as some friends were getting married nearby. I arrived hours early but the owners were happy for me to check in - they were really friendly and drew a map for me so I could find the wedding venue.

My room was good - had booked a single but was pleasantly surprised to find I had been given a cosy double.

Arrived back late to a warm welcome and had a great nights sleep!

• Stayed March 2012
cram077, Owner at The Steer Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
sorry you wernt up for breakfast,and updating? its an east yorkshire inn and thats its character thats what all the good reviewers love,why would we take that away and make something that it should never be,.
premier inn for you next time then,have a nice day
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Hotel is a great little place and has its own little style. Room was great, minor moans where the remote control was broken, a dent in the wall. Aside from that was very clean. What made it for me was the lady who was running the place, she was really nice and very cheerful. Food was top notch in the steak house.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I have just stayed for 2 nights at this hotel and would definitely recommend it, it’s located just outside York on a main road, our room looked onto this, but I had absolutely no problems with noise from it.

The room was a spacious double, very comfy bed, well located plugs and lots of wardrobe space with plenty of hangers!! Great value for money at £65pn including breakfast.

The breakfast was delicious and used locally sourced ingredients, the staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Need an iron, no problems, want lunch before the restaurant opens no problem.

The restaurant food was great, the Steak and Ale pie was fab, the fish was a little bit oily for my liking but the chips more than made up for it. If you are a steak lover then you will be well catered for

Room Tip: If its hot, ask for the bay room, we stayed in it during the recent heatwave and it was cool
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I walked in to a very warm welcome, the lady who greeted me was so helpful and changed my room as I wanted a bath tub. I unpacked, the room was very clean, and had everything I'd need. I ate in the restaurant downstairs and I agree with other travellers here... the steaks are fab and great value.
The wifi works in the bar areas, but I was advised the wifi wouldnt work in the room I wanted to change to. (Sacrifice I made for wanting a bath tub)
The soap, bath foam and shampoo are a decent make and has made my hair really shiny!
Decent selection of tea and coffee in the room.
Really comfy bed. really pretty bedlinen and I think once the rooms have been fully modernised this place will be fantastic.
I paid £65 for the room bed and breakfast and I feel that I got value for money,
Very noisey neighbours but I was warned when I chose to move rooms.
I would definetly advise to stay here.

Room Tip: Stay away from young families unless you are one!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Steer Inn? Share your experiences!