“Nice pleasant hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 45 Hotels in York
London
“Nice pleasant hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is next to the station which was convenient to us as we travelled up by train, honestly you could not get it closer. This hotel was obviously very splendid and grand in its heyday, but now inside is very tired looking. It has lovely high ceilings and a grand staircase but unfortunately the furniture is not in keeping with the hotel. We found the chairs and sofas very uncomfortable in reception and the bar area. However our rooms were big and spacious,beds and pillows were very comfortable. The shower was lovely. Breakfast was really good with a wide selection for everybody's taste, even though on our first morning,we ordered tea and coffee then we had to remind a member of staff that we were still waiting sometime later. The staff were friendly and helpful and could not fault them at all. If I came back to York, I would stay here again as you are only 10 minutes away from the centre of the town.

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking the garden and the big wheel which were very pleasant.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Royal York Hotel.

I am very glad that you appreciated our excellent location next to York Station which is ideal for anyone travelling by train.

I am sorry that you found our lounge chairs uncomfortable however I am happy to inform you that our lounge area is being refurbished within the next few weeks and therefore on your next visit you will be able to enjoy this refurbished area complete with luxurious new chairs.

It is great to read that your spacious room was to your liking and you enjoyed a very comfortable sleep followed by an excellent breakfast served by our very friendly staff.

It is wonderful to read that you will be returning to visit us again and thank you again for your review.

Tony Furlong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed here after a friends wedding and was expecting more for the price they charged us. I understand that in some cases you are paying for the location, but we actually found it would have been cheaper to stay at a nearby 5 star hotel for the night we were there. The reception, landing and reception rooms were all very grand, but unfortunately this didn't follow through into the bedroom. The room itself was fine, but the bathroom was very outdated and the lock on the door was broken. Housekeeping were also knocking on our door at 9:30am the following morning, which seems unnecessary considering we were only staying one night and I would have expected them to check if we had checked out before coming round so early on a weekend. There were plenty of plus points as well, the staff were friendly, the room had two large windows which would have had a lovely view had the wheel not been in the way, and their organisation of the actual wedding was great, but I have stayed in better hotels for less than this and would not hurry back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at the hotel.

It is lovely to read that you appreciated our grand reception and public areas whilst attending a wedding at the hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the broken door lock which our Maintenance team will look into and for the early arrival of the housekeeping team.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our very friendly staff and the lovely view from your room and the organisation of the wedding which you attended.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. The room was lovely and the staff very friendly. The lift was out of order and I have a feeling it had been for along time. Not the recent occorance they implied. The staff were happy to bring our bags down for us. Great location. Would recomend the royal York to friends

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Royal York Hotel.

It is great to read that you had a lovely stay in York and that you enjoyed your lovely, spacious room and found the hotel and staff friendly and welcoming and appreciated our concierge service.

Please accept my apologies regarding one of our lifts being out of service during your stay, however this matter was beyond our control as unfortunately the service engineers could not obtain the required part immediately. I would like to assure you that this is not a regular occurrence and I am very sorry for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for your comments and I am delighted that you will be recommending us to your friends and returning again in the near future.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just spent 2 nights here, room was lovely, good size and really large bathroom with powerful shower. Enjoyed the spa, very relaxing! Breakfast was lovely and self service, waited a little time for coffee and toast but apart from that very nice. Loved the character of the hotel and wouldn't expect it to be any more modern. The location was great and enjoyed the wheel of York with a 50% discount. Would definitely return in the future.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Royal York Hotel.

It is wonderful to read that you had a fabulous stay with excellent facilities and staff and took advantage of the York Wheel discount.

I will share your positive comments with all our staff and it is great to read that you will definitely be returning and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was not hugely impressed with The Royal York, and have stayed in much nicer and friendlier hotels in York.

To offer a balance view of my stay, when I checked in I was given one of the smallest rooms I have ever seen, which over looked the back entrance and a wall. I had booked a double room, but there was no way that two people would be able to comfortably relax and stay in that room - maybe if it was just a place to sleep, but for a weekend break, we were looking for somewhere to unwind and relax as well.

So we decided to ask if there was a larger room available, and we were pleasantly surprised that they were happy to help find us another room, which I do thank them and give credit for.

But even in a bigger room, everything felt a bit dated, it still had a small cathode ray television - which is a rare sight these days. The air conditioning gurgled all night and the shower had really low water pressure, which stopped to all but a dribble at times.

All in all, it is a lovely looking building, in a great location, the facilities make it a four star hotel, but the rooms don't feel like it.

Room Tip: garden wing rooms are bigger
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations on your visit to the Royal York Hotel on this occasion.

Thankyou kindly for your comments and I am pleased we were at least able to accomodate you in a larger room on your 2nd night which made your stay more comfortable and that you appreciated the architecture of the building itself.
Due to The Royal York being a listed building some of rooms may vary in size and we try to accomodate all requests.

We are in the process of updating all our televisions to more suitable flatscreen tv's.

Once again thankyou for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel on the first occasion the room was small and it required a clean this time we up graded to a junior suite large room with good size bathroom but again it had a cleaning issue hair dryer in the bath room did not work and was very dirty controls on shower also very dirty and the television had a terrible reception breakfast very good with and very pleasant staff over priced and not up to 4star

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal York Hotel.

I was extremely pleased to read you enjoyed your upgraded bedroom and we were able to welcome you to the Royal York hotel again.

With regards to your comments concerning the poor cleanliness of your shower, I can assure you this is not our normal standard and I do offer my apologises for this issue. I have passed your comments on to our Housekeeping Manager who will resolve this issue.

I was also concerned to read your comments regarding the TV reception and I have passed on your comments to our Maintenace Manager to address.

I thank you for your honest feedback and I do apology for your subsequent dissatisfaction during your stay. Your comments will be shared with the relevant teams to ensure there is no repetition.

Kind regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for one night last weekend. Apparently, it is very unusual to get a hotel room for one Saturday night in York due to all the stag and hen parties there are! Joking aside, this is a real problem for York and from our hotel window (cracking view of the station roof) we could see three police cars permanently on duty to implement the zero alcohol policy on trains...lovely!
The Royal York is an old railway hotel with lots of character. The location is good if you want the station or the National Railway Museum or the Wheel. Our double room cost £200 for one night, not inc breakfast. It was very small and without a decent view. The Spa area is in the basement and a bit neglected. The pool is tiny and the changing rooms are very cramped. All this would have been bearable where it not for the used plaster that I found in my salad from the Tempus Bar!! The service in this bar was awful, the food we sent back and the decor very grubby indeed! When I told the front desk about the plaster, they said they would mention it to the kitchen...let's hope they do!

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view. Pay as much as you can.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to York.

As a thriving City weekend destination this inevitably brings all types of weekenders to York and as such York Station is always prepared for all eventualities, however please let me assure you that the hotel and our guests are never effected by arriving revellers considering our proximity to the Station and I am very pleased to read that you found our location excellent for the many tourist attractions the City has to offer.

I offer my sincere apologies for the service in the Tempus Bar and particularly the issue with the plaster and I can assure you that this will be investigated with the Head Chef and his team as this is unacceptable and I am very sorry that this was not brought to the attention of our Duty Manager at the time who would have dealt with it accordingly.

Thank you for your feedback which will be addressed and I hope that you will be returning to York in the future to see all that we have to offer.

Tony Furlong

Been to The Royal York Hotel? Share your experiences!