“I always go back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in York
London, United Kingdom
“I always go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel, many many times. The last was for week ending 27th July when I was there for much of the week with my 14 year old daughter. That the manager, Tony Furlong, must be doing something right is obvious given the number of times I've been there over the last ten years.

So what is the attraction for me?

For a start it is right in the centre of York and nowhere in the city is too far to walk from here. The National Railway Museum is just over a footbridge away, access to the historic Bar Walls is five minutes walk and only slightly further away is the Minster and Shambles.

A big extra plus for anyone with kids is that the hotel does sport a very good swimming pool which we have used often. The hotel is also very spacious which means they can run around without causing too much havoc.

The hotel itself is a bygone from the days of 'Rail' when every company needed to have its own, showcase hotel. This hotel used to be called 'The Station Hotel' before it became 'The Royal' and is built right next to York Station. So for those arriving by rail it could not be easier. So the building is a large, rambling Victorian style edifice with all the plusses and minusses that entails. The downside is the lack of air con in most of the main body of the hotel (if you want it then ask for a room in the Garden Wing) and that with a hotel of this size sometimes things go wrong.

And like large hotels of this type The Royal does like to host weddings at weekends. This is not good for normal, paying guests who can get the bum's rush when it comes to bar service or even getting a meal! Then the service can fall to below two star!

A continuous issue for me has been the hotel's restaurant. Breakfast is always fine - this time round the sausages and tomatoes were particularly good - but evening meals can be very hit or miss. At the time of writing there's a new chef in charge. As a result I would have awarded them 7 out of 10 for my meal (cheese soufle for starters, main of blade of beef, dessert of creme caramel all washed down with a fine but not expensive wine). As an alternative 'The Tempus Bar' does good bar meals and sandwiches. However York is awash with good restaurants, some a short walk away (try 'Zen' in Hudson Street less than two minutes away). Staff are always attentive but this time round seemed even more so.

York is my home town ( I have been gone more than forty years) so perhaps I am more glowing about this place than I should be. However, it is an excellent start point for anyone visiting the city for the first time and wanting a central location to start from. I've tried all the hotels in the city,some more expensive, some the same, some cheaper, but this is the one I always come back to. That should say it all.

Room Tip: Beware of weekends and for air con ask for a room in The Garden Wing although you will not get a roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Czech first
Hitchin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a grand Victorian railway hotel situated next door to the station and convenient for walking into the city. Chandeliers in the foyer, a wide staircase and period fittings in the public toilets give it an olde world feeling.
The dining room for breakfast was very busy but that shouldn't be an excuse for the relatively slow service we experienced. The toast delivered to the table was hardly toasted. We reported to a waitress that the tinned apricots were off. The fruit offer was rather limited for a 4* hotel. The room was very spacious and comfortable. Bad luck maybe but our toilet blocked.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the period charm and fittings of the hotel and the convenience of our excellent location for York city centre and York Station.

I am very sorry that you experienced slow service during breakfast and I have spoken with the Restaurant Manager to ensure that our usual high standards of service are always maintained.

Our breakfasts are generally very well reviewed and I apologise if on this occasion the selection of fruit was not to our usual standards and I have forwarded your feedback to the Head Chef.

It is great that you found your room both spacious and comfortable and thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

NB, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Old station hotels have charm and history. But the very attributes that give then character can also appear drawbacks to the modern traveler. On the plus side, the hotel has wonderful architecture, a splendid, convenient location for the train, and our room was large, airy, and overlooked the station as we had requested (not noisy at all). On the other hand, location and history are not enough to maintain 4-star status.The furniture in our room was definitely old and rather beaten up and scratched, and the bed was a bit soft and the springs jabbed into us. Breakfast was also a mixed experience. The hot items were tasty, but the fruit was disappointing--tired melon and canned fruit salad each morning, We were seated promptly, but service for coffee and toast was slow indeed. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, but the others--especially in the bar--seemed nonchalant. In sum, just be aware that old architecture comes with its drawbacks.

Room Tip: If you don't want station noise, make that clear when you book.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am delighted that you appreciated the wonderful architecture, and I agree that we are in a splendid, convenient location for the train.

I am very pleased that your room was large and spacious and to your satisfaction and that we could accommodate you with a view of the Station as requested and that you were not disturbed by noise.

Thank you for your feedback which will assist us greatly in our future refurbishment and regarding your mattress I will ask the Housekeeping Manager to check it is to the required standard and if necessary replace it.

It is great to read that our reception staff were extremely helpful and friendly and thank you for your feedback regarding the bar service which I will share with our teams at our monthly Quality Wins meeting where all feedback is discussed.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed in the Royal York for one night - sort of a break away shopping Trip somewhere new. I picked this hotel as it was the only 4* that was located very near the City Centre along with the Hotel pictures being beautiful. e.g the front of the hotel and the gardens/grounds. One nice attraction is the Wheel of York located just outside the Hotel, of which you can get a 50% discount on when staying at the Royal York. (Pity we didn't find that out until afterwards!)
Some of the things I found great was the short walk to the City Centre, full of beautiful vintage shops, a bridge over the river etc. However, I didn't find it acceptable that although staying in the hotel, we had to pay an overnight parking charge of £10.00. If you required Internet in the room, the charge was 50p per minute - I though a more reason offer would have been available.

We stayed in a Twin Room which didn't have the best space. However, the beds were comfy and the room was clean. We had a good night's sleep - It isn't the quietest if you are used to staying in remote locations, due to city centre traiffc. e.g buses, ambulance sirens etc. Wasn't impressed the TV only had 10 channels, expected more from the rating of the hotel. Typically it was so HOT during our stay due to the weather and wish the window would have opened more than 10cms. The bathroom was clean, shower was great so cannot fault that. Although keeping in mind that this Hotel is 4* but also a city centre location, I just expected that little bit more as regards to some luxury comfort. Having a twin room and paying £150 - I expect the price should be lowered a little as we were let down by the 'basics'.

The staff were friendly and helpful with regards to the places to visit in York. Overall an 'OK' stay. I would seriously consider going back though, maybe a different choice of room might offer more. But if you want a hotel located near to everything you need, then sure this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room that faces the garden/grounds at the front. The back of the hotel seems to...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here in March for work having had a quick look on the internet for hotels in the Centre of York. The pictures of the rooms on the website looked good enough and thought it would be fine for one night. WRONG!! The picture of the rooms on the website are of superior rooms I believe. I called reception to request a room change and the porter confirmed this to me. The room and bathroom I had the misfortune to stay in looked like they had been poorly decorated and furnsihed 20 years ago and backed onto a very noisy train station. The bed was uncomfortable and the room didn't feel particularly clean. Considering the room was £100/night, it was all very very poor. The food in the bar is also average. Now I was either massively unlucky as there are a number of good reviews on this hotel or their webiste is purposely disceiving. Either way, I won't be trying it again to find out. Avoid would be my advice, there are much better hotels for this kind of money - the York Marriott being a prime example.

Room Tip: If you do stay here (I would advise not) then ask to be as far away from the train station as possib...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your standard room and please accept my apologies that we were unable to offer you an alternative room as the hotel was fully occupied, however your feedback will assist us with our future refurbishment programme.

All our rooms vary in size and shape due to the age and layout of the building and I am sorry that you will not be visiting us again to see a different room type.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked this hotel for our 10th anniversary and were treated very very well. The staff are so forthcoming and helpful. The evening meal was world class, and the décor was as you would expect from a Grand hotel of this age. Simply wonderfull stay. Would happily return every month. Lovely pool area, (ready for a refurb and tidy up though). What makes this hotel is the EXCELLENT staff and very central location. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I can't comment on the accommodation as I was visiting for a Dinner Dance. The staff were excellent - polite, attentive and helpful throughout the evening whether they were in the Reception Hall, Bar or Dining Room. We had drinks on the Terrace overlooking the gardens and the York Eye. Dinner was in a well air-conditioned room and was very comfortable on such a hot evening. We had ordered the food some 2 months previously so my choice of soup then was somewhat misplaced given the weather! However, the "carrot & coriander with ciabatta sippets" was very tasty. The main course was "oven baked chicken supreme, fondant potato, roast roots, in a red wine shallot sauce"; the chicken was moist and plentiful but the roast roots were disappointing as they consisted of one carrot, one parsnip and a quarter of a red onion - it badly needed something green (French Beans were served with the other 2 choices so they were available). The potato fondant was ok but not generous. Dessert was a "chocolate truffle torte, with mango & passion fruit salsa"; the torte was intense chocolate heaven as far as I was concerned but our guests found it too much. The Terrace drinks, 3-course dinner plus 2 bottles of wine per table (9 diners to a table) plus after dinner live band came to £35 per head which, I feel, was very reasonable value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review of an evening dinner/dance event at The Royal York Hotel which you recently attended.

It is always a pleasure to read that our staff have delivered excellent customer service and I am delighted that on this occasion you found the attitude and professionalism of all our teams exceptional in all areas and I will share your comments amongst our teams at our Quality Wins meeting where all feedback is discussed to ensure that the hotel is delivering to the highest standards.

The Head Chef will be pleased to read your comments regarding the good quality food and presentation that you enjoyed and will review your feedback regarding the addition of a green vegetable with the main course.

The success of the hotel relies on the provision of excellent quality and service and I am very pleased that from your very positive comments this is what you experienced. We hope to welcome you back to The Royal York Hotel in the near future.

Tony Furlong

Been to The Royal York Hotel? Share your experiences!