“Good base for York” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 45 Hotels in York
Manchester
“Good base for York”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My girlfriend booked this hotel for a romantic weekend away for us. The hotel was very central and the easy parking made it very easy to negotiate on arrival. The entrance was very grand and 1st impressions were good, as was the room. We didn't try any food whilst there but we did visit the bar which was nice. Overall it was a perfect base for us as we just wanted to use it to sleep in whilst we visited the sights and went for a night out. I would say however that there would probably be better value to be found elsewhere, it was very expensive for what it was. For the money we paid, there was no iron or board, tea making facilities were poor and the room was pretty standard, if a little dated. We were at the front of the hotel though which had lovely views and was very quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of The Royal York Hotel.

I am particularly happy to read your comments that you found our onsite car parking easy to negotiate and our central location provided you with the perfect base for exploring York and enjoying the nightlife.

As all of our rooms provide ironing facilities I am unsure as to why you were unable to locate an iron, and I will ask the Housekeeping Manager to investigate this. I have noted your comments relating to the standards of tea and coffee making facilities and can advise that we are currently reviewing these.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal York Hotel in the future.

Tony Furlong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
Holyhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Here we are off again on our infrequent travels this time to the historical City of York. Booked The Royal York Hotel, York via Late Rooms.co being very quick and easy to use. Hotel situated right by the Railway Station and centrally placed for an easy walk into the heart of old York. Stands in its own grounds with ornamental gardens and houses the Yorkshire Wheel giving views across Yorkshire (closes in Sept 2013 so hurry). Hotel rooms, we found to be spacious with large bath/shower room. Our room was very clean with sufficient tea/coffee facilities and also WiFi connection. It faced the gardens with great view of Wheel and York Minster. Whilst we didn't use the evening restaurant, the English breakfast was more than adequate (also continental available.) Very Grand Hotel and an excellent base for York.

Room Tip: Rooms with 200 code appear to face the gardens with views across York.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Booked 2 nights at this hotel through booking.com. On arrival the carpark was small but we were lucky enough to spot someone leaving, otherwise we had been advised that we could park at the nearby railway station. Parking is £6-£8 extra per day.

On entering the hotel the reception area, bar and restaraunt were all very grand and impressive. Check in was straightforward but I was slightly confused when the receptionist asked if we were "ok with the stairs", we were then advised that we would be staying in the garden wing. You get the lift to Floor 3, trek the entire length of the hotel & then have to walk up 2 flights of stairs. When we reached our room it was very basic & a little grubby but had fantastic views of York Minster & the big wheel was situated in the grounds. The bed was the smallest double I have ever seen which caved in the middle, the tv did not work and there were stains on the curtains. All of the above could possibly have been forgiven, however I feel that at over £100 per night room only in a supposed 4* hotel this was unacceptable.

We used the pool the next morning where we showered also. This pool area, gym & changing rooms were pretty dated however do appreciate that this is a victorian building and not all areas can be super modern/up to date. After a fantastic day in York we returned to the hotel where we had no hot water from the shower and only a dribble of water coming out. I felt at this stage after a build up of problems that I had to complain. This is supposedly a 4* hotel. In fairness the reception manager was more than helpful which was very decent of him. He explained that as it is a Victorian building it is difficult to maintain such high standards and the renovation process would take a long time. He also advised that sometimes the power levels are lessened in the garden wing at certain times. We however felt the experience had put a dampner on our trip so decided to cut it short and head home.

We visit York every year at least twice and this has been our first wrong choice. We will definitely not be returning. Most recently we stayed at the Hampton by Hilton which was excellent, there are no leisure facilities but we could not fault it. We have also stayed at Hotel 53, Novotel and The Churchill. All excellent.

On a positive note however the location of the hotel is excellent with amazing views if you are lucky enough to get a room at the front, the staff were pleasant and I believe there are a few of the rooms which have recently been renovated... if I were paying over £100 per night for room only I would definitely be requesting one of these newly done rooms.

Apologies for the long review, I am just really disappointed as we had always admired this hotel & were thoroughly disappointed.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you were impressed with our grand public areas and I agree that we are in an excellent location with fabulous views of York Minster and the York Wheel.

I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with the location and facilities of your room in the Garden Wing and your comments will be noted for our ongoing investment programme.

I offer my apologies that you experienced some maintenance and housekeeping issues with your room and if any problems had been reported to Reception our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams would have addressed any issues immediately to ensure the room was to your satisfaction.

I apologise for your dissatisfaction and I am sorry to read that you will not be returning to the hotel in the future.

hartlepool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We booked this hotel via Hotwire, and where not disappointed. This hotel is in an excellent location right on the Rail station. We stayed in th garden wing, the rooms are a little dated but very clean and a lovely comfy bed. Dora on reception was lovely, he went out of her way to get us 2 rooms together, even ordering us coffee while we waited. I would recommend express check out as it was very busy at reception. We left our luggage with the conseirge who was so pleasant, nothing was a bother. We didnt book for breakfast, however it is only £10 per person, so grea value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal York Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you found your garden wing room to your satisfaction and were welcomed warmly by our Front of House team, and I will forward your compliments to them as we recognise all outstanding service at our Quality Wins Presentations for staff which are held monthly.

I agree that at £10 our breakfast is great value and also delicious with plenty of choice and it is regrettable that you didn't have the chance to experience it during your stay.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal York Hotel in the near future.

Montrose, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Situated right beside York railway station and with the York wheel in their gardens it is in a very convenient location for exploring York's attractions by foot. A large hotel with good amenities and comfortable rooms. The staff are very friendly and helpful, nothing seeming any problem.
The buffet breakfast was excellent with a wide choice. My only criticism would be the high bar prices.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay at The Royal York Hotel.

I am thrilled that you had a wonderful stay and agree with you regarding our excellent location for York Station and the City Centre.

I am particularly pleased to read that you received outstanding customer service from our staff and nothing was too much trouble for them.

As you enjoyed an excellent breakfast during your stay, next time be sure to enjoy an evening meal in our Tempus Restaurant.

I have noted your comment regarding the bar prices as we are currently reviewing our bar promotions for the summer.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal York Hotel in the near future.

Bedale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My works leaving do in York last Friday. booked a suite with breakfast for my wife and I. The room was large with a fantastic view of the minster. The York wheel is in the garden (I've been on it before) and worth a go for the view. Room was clean and breakfast good. No issues but as with may hotels we stay in no free WiFi. It's something travellers really need these days and should be available! Right next to York station.

Room Tip: Most rooms don't have a view out towards the minster. I booked a suite this time (good rate for...
Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel over night following a function. I paid £108 for a twin room for one night. I was disappointed to find that breakfast was not included in the price. When i arrived at the hotel i found that the car park was difficult to park in. I managed to squeeze my car into the last remaining place in the car park. I had to request a ticket at the barrier when I arrived. I understand in a very touristy city such as York parking has to be monitored so I presumed that when I checked out i wouldn't be charged for parking as a paying hotel guest. To my disgust the next morning i was asked for £6 to exit the car park. I just feel that a 4* hotel shouldn't be fleecing its guests for even more money when they seem to be offering then the bare minimum with a room which isn't exactly cheap. The room itself was small and backed on to a pavement with people walking past opposite a royal mail depot.i was a little disappointed. It was clean and the beds however were comfortable.
We ate dinner provided as part of the function and the food was very nice to say they were catering for more than 100 guests.
its location for people visiting york is very well placed. Right next to the train station within walking distance of the city centre and the race course but i feel that people could get much more for their money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel.

I am sorry to read that you experienced difficulty finding a parking space and were unaware of the car parking charges until your departure, for this please accept my apologies, our charges are detailed on our website and we feel that £6 for 24hours is a comparable price for parking so close to the city centre.

I apologise that you were dissatisfied with the size of your twin room, however I am delighted to read that you found the cleanliness excellent and the beds to be extremely comfortable.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed delightful food at the event you were attending, and I agree our location is unbeatable next to the Station and the proximity to the city centre.

Thank you again for your comments and I will ensure your feedback is passed to the relevant teams.

Tony Furlong

Been to The Royal York Hotel? Share your experiences!