“Very Mixed Feelings About This Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

The Royal York Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station Road | Station Parade, York YO24 1AA, England   |
Ranked #39 of 45 Hotels in York
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“Very Mixed Feelings About This Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed here on business at the end of April and whilst the hotel was very convenient for the station, there were other problems.
My room was 'miles' away from reception and had my colleague/friend not been in the next room I would have asked to move for a number of reasons.Firstly, I only found out at 7pm that the heating wasn't working and reported it to reception when I went to dinner.Upon my return there was a very small convector heater in place.By this time it was almost 10pm. The solution was to bring down another heater or change room( this I did not want as I had no idea where I would be placed in such a large hotel).
Secondly, the mattress on the bed was too small for the base and was not comfortable which I only discovered at 11pm!
Thirdly, the tv did not work properly.
Now I cannot believe that I am the only person who has complained about this v poor standard and for a 4* hotel it is outrageous!I have stayed in 3* hotels with better rooms and facilities.
On the plus side, the staff were friendly, the hotel grounds beautiful and it's position is great for travel and sightseeing in York.

Room Tip: I cannot speak for the main building but avoid the rooms over by the wheel - those out on a limb!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the location of your room in our Garden Wing during your conference stay.

Please accept my apologies for the lack of heating in your room and the problems encountered with your mattress and TV. I have requested that our Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers investigate these issues.

I am very pleased to read that you received outstanding customer service from our staff and enjoyed our excellent location next to the station and a short walk from the city centre.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Tony Furlong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was disappointed that I did not receive a response from the management to my email regarding my concerns following mixed reviews prior to our anniversary break. However first impressions were hopeful as there is a lovely staircase rising out of the reception area. How disappointing to find the room was very small and tired looking with no drawers in which to put clothes. It was a good job that my husband and I are not large people otherwise it might have proved difficult to move around. The bathroom was tiny with a toilet squashed at the end of the bath just inside the door. There was a lot of mould around the bath and at the bottom of the curtain and the door didn't shut properly. On the positive side the hotel is well located and paying for a garden view ensured it was quiet as the station is next to the hotel. We should have complained but given the occasion we didn't want the hassle. Don't have room 350!!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

We value all customer feedback and respond to all correspondence received, therefore please let me assure you that I have not received any email from yourself and I would ask you please to contact me directly to discuss these issues and restore your faith in the hotel.

On a positive note I am delighted to read that you found our location excellent and our public areas impressive.

Oldham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just a quick review to sing the praises of this Hotel. Lovely, Victorian architecture and large open rooms and areas. Good self service breakfasts and a very good location - the city centre is only 2 mins walk away. Recommended !!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

It is always expected that when staying at a 4* in England that you will have to pay premium.
I paid £42.00 for two drinks and 2 Premium Burgers in the Bar whilst waiting for my room to be ready. Don't!! You pay up front and then when this meal is served you will be so disappointed. Enough said.
The room (Mini Suite) was of a good size with a view of the Big Wheel. The air-con and the heated towel rail did not work. The service to get them repaired was poor. To make matters worse the room fan did not work and the next one supplied by the concierge did not work either.
When I took all these problems to the front desk I was offered some "discount" but when we checked out nothing materialised.
The terrible thing about this is my wife took me away following the death of my father for a break at this hotel and I felt that it was inappropriate to openly complain so they get a not too good review.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the hotel.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your meal in our Tempus Bar, our food is usually very well reviewed and I apologise that it was not to your satisfaction on this occasion.

I am very pleased that your room was to your liking and you enjoyed the impressive view of the York Wheel.

Please accept my apologies regarding any maintenances issues, I have checked with our Maintenance Manager who confirmed to me that the issues were fixed as soon as possible and that there were no outstanding maintenance problems.

I apologise that you were dissatisfied with several aspects of your stay and appreciate your feedback.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

From reading other reviews, there are clearly disparities in the experience based on what type of room the guests receive. Completely down to luck we were allocated a delightful room on the 2nd floor overlooking the station entrance, our relative was helpfully given the room next door. As we paid less than some other reviewers have been quoting and we didn't ask for anything special this must be purely down to luck. Room and bathroom were both spacious and well decorated. We used the parking which was straightforward and despite what the previous reviewer stated cost £6 per day at the weekend and £8 during the week, I thought this was reasonable for the location. Check-in was efficient and friendly. We didn't have breakfast due to the cost (although if this has been included as part of the original price we would have paid it, baffles me why hotels strip it out to make room appear cheaper when another £10 would not have bothered us, however, given the choice we choose to go elsewhere). Had one drink in the bar which was predictably expensive. Approximately 30 seconds from the reception is the station bar which is infinitely preferable to the hotel bar, thoroughly recommended. In summary, based on our room, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Royal York.

Room Tip: We were in 214.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of The Royal York Hotel.

I am particularly happy to read your comments that you were delighted with your spacious, well decorated, 2nd floor room overlooking the Station entrance, and that we could accommodate your request to be close to your relative’s room.

I agree that our car parking prices are reasonable for our central location within the city and it is good to read that you found it an efficient system.

It is a shame that you did not experience our highly recommended buffet breakfast and hope that upon your return to The Royal York Hotel you will have the opportunity to do so.

I am thrilled that you will be recommending us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal York Hotel in the very near future.

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked very last minute for a two night stay, we booked an executive double room. I was unsure as some of the reviews on Trip Advisor were poor, but as soon as we entered the hotel I knew this was a great choice.
We were checked in very efficiently and quickly, all public areas were well presented and very clean.
Our room was on the second floor with views onto the garden. A nice large spacious room was just perfect for a mini break. Bathroom was spotlessly clean. Only negative comment was the bed was very soft.
We didn't use any of the hotels facilities so am unable to comment, we did apparently have a drink in the bar late one night, but a bit too tipsy to remember!!
Lovely hotel, would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at The Royal York Hotel.

I am delighted that you received excellent customer service, and that your room and view were to your liking, as was the location and cleanliness of the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you will definitely be recommending The Royal York Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Knaresborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although I say that the hotel is not quite as grand as it looks, it's a decent hotel as long as (a) you get a decent rate, and (b) you get a decent room. I was fortunate to be there on business, so the rate was OK; and the double room I had for single occupancy was very roomy and well equipped.

The public rooms are grand and the wide central staircase is an impressive feature. The bar is well stocked with a variety of ales and lagers and the restaurant fare is perfectly acceptable without being overly impressive.

The staff were all very attentive and friendly and the central location and sheer style of the place certainly makes the hotel worth considering for a stay in York.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Royal York Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the excellent location of the hotel and it's impressive features, and that you found your room well equipped and to your satisfaction.

I am glad that you had time to appreciate the variety stocked in our bar and enjoy a meal in our Restaurant.

I am also delighted that you received excellent customer service from our attentive staff.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal York Hotel in the future.

Tony Furlong

Been to The Royal York Hotel? Share your experiences!