“Friendly Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in York
Cheshire
“Friendly Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We spent a night at this hotel - first impressions - a grand building. The entrance off the car park smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke, not a great start. The check in was speedy and the reception staff friendly. The rooms were on the first floor with a view out to the garden and the big wheel. The rooms were a good size, decorated nicely, the bed perhaps a little too soft for our liking. The reading lights at the side of the bed were not very bright, nor was the lighting in the bedroom. The bathrooms were a decent size though resembled a hospital bathroom with stark white tiles and fittings.

The family used the spa facilities and they were adequate.

The cooked breakfast was ok. Usual array of cereals and pastries. My son had a seeded bread roll, it looked gorgeous but tasted of nothing, no bread taste.

The hotel was good for a night and we we were very busy sightseeing so it served its purpose.

Pros - ideally situated for a short stroll into York. The rooms were clean and the staff were very pleasant

Cons - WiFi only free in public areas for 30 minutes, have to log out then back in again, should be constantly free. Had to pay for the car park. The entrance lobby smells strongly of cigarettes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

I was delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed your bedroom and the location of the hotel was to your convenience. I was also delighted to read you enjoyed your breakfast and the service you received from our staff was superb.

I was concerned to read the strong smell of cigarettes you experienced at the car park entrance of the hotel. I have spoken to our Head of Concierge to ensure the cigarette trays at the entrances are checked and cleaned daily. As the hotel is located adjacent to both York train station and York city centre, it is advisable for the hotel to charge a small fee for car parking to ensure there is availability for guests and prevent non-residents from parking in our grounds.

With regards to your comments concerning the availability of WiFi, I can assure you we are in progression with our Head Office to providing this service throughout the whole hotel on a complimentary basis for all users. Please accept my apologises for the disappointment the above issues caused you during your stay and for the subsequent dissatisfaction you experienced.

Once again, I thank you for your honest feedback and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal York Hotel in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Tony Furlong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I don't even know where to start with how bad our experience was! I booked this in February via the hotel reception for our romantic weekend away.
The pictures on the hotel website were lovely, advertising newly refurbished hotel. The quote from the website was : “No expense has been spared in providing guests with a high degree of luxury and opulence.”
The reception of the hotel is very impressive with a lavish chandelier and nice staircase but that is where it ends! It started with a very cold and unfriendly check in and it got worse. I could not believe my eyes when were sent to room 5011 in the Garden Wing. The room has not been touched refurbished for at least 20 years! It was so dark, dirty and horrible that we haven’t even bother to put our bag onto the floor.
We have been offered another room in the main hotel but it still was not even close what the hotel advertises on their web site.
We were “forced” to stay as we it was getting late and we were getting tired.
The room was a little bit better but sill looked like it hasn’t been vacuumed for a while, furniture was chipped, there was no hot water in the sink (legionella danger) etc. The list is never ending. The only positive thing was the manageress on duty was able to give us a discounted rate and even that was too much for that type of room.
We didn’t visit the spa or the restaurant so I can’t comment. The bar smelled of chlorine and the service was poor.
All in all, this was a very disappointing experience and I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not even bother taking your luggage to Garden Wing!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

I was concerned to read your disappointment with your stay and how your bedroom did not meet your expectations. I was pleased to read you spoke to our Duty Manager and a room move was undertaking for you. It concerns me to read you were not completely satisfied with your new room and your comments concerning both bedrooms have been passed on to our Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers who will resolve and repair these issues. I do offer my apologises for the inconvenience caused and the disappointment you experienced during your stay.

With regards to your comments concerning our staff and the poor levels of service you experienced, I have spoken to our Front Office Manager and Bar Manager who will re-train the concerned individuals and reiterate the importance of good customer satisfaction. As our leisure club is located underneath our Tempus Bar, I have passed your comments on to our Maintenance Manager requesting his team to take immediate action in resolving the strong smell of chlorine in the bar area.

I thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I reiterate my apologises for your disappointment and the issues you experienced during your stay.

Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We recently had 2 lovely nights at this hotel. From signing in to checking out everything went great.
The staff were very cheerful and helpful. Our room was on the third floor and was quite big, I have never seen a bathroom as big in any hotel. The hotel decor is very (old fashioned) but beautiful, and elegant. The hotel is within walking distance of most of York's attractions. The breakfast was plentiful and nicely cooked. We had room service one night and it was promptly delivered, although only soup and sandwiches it was excellent.
The only reasons it only has a 4 rating is that in this day and age a flat screen tv with freeview channels should by now be the norm, the bulky grey tv spoiled the room.
There is parking outside the hotel with subsidised rate.
I would still highly recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your bedroom and the quality and size of your bathroom exceeded your expectations. I was extremely happy to read you thoroughly enjoyed both your breakfast and room service and the service you received from our staff was superb.

The location of the hotel is very accessible for both the train station and York city centre. We do charge a £6 overnight fee for guests so as to prevent non-residents of the hotel parking in our grounds. With regards to your comments concerning the television in your room, I can assure you we are currently in progression with our Head Office to update and improve the existing screens with a more modern version. I do offer my apologises for your disappointment and the inconvenience this issue caused you during your stay.

I thank you again for your positive feedback and I was delighted to read you would recommend the hotel to your family and friends. We will look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal York Hotel in the near future.

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Best points, Beautiful period building; great location with only a short walk into town, say 10 mins to the Minster; train station next door; staff were professional and prompt; I have dietry requirements which was no trouble for the staff; help yourself at breakfast to cereals, fresh fruits, full english, and the rest, the staff look after you with tea and coffee etc, we were full for the day (book breakast in advance to get it for £10); parking was reasonable daily charge.

Worst points, we have no complaints about our room as such except that we had limited space for our clothing, the windows and nets are a bit tired and do not offer good soundproofing. TV and hairdryer a bit old fashioned but did the job.

Other than that, lovely place with facilities you would expect, comfortable room, lovely bathroom etc. We haven't rated spa because we didn't have time to use it. We had a nice time thanks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at The Royal York Hotel. I was delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and its location was to your easy and convenience. As customer satisfaction is paramount to our success, I was extremely happy to read you received excellent customer service from all our staff and your comments will be shared amongst all the teams.

I was also delighted to read you enjoyed our menu and the food you received was to your satisfaction and dietry requirements. I am sorry you found that you had limited space for your clothing, I have spoken to our Maintenace Manager about this issue, and he is going to look into a way to resolve it. I was concerned to read your disappointment regarding the windows, nets, television and hairdryer I can assure you we are currently in progression of updating all bedrooms along with hairdryers and updating our televisions to a more modern screen. I have passed on your comments to our Head Office for further consideration and they will greatly assist us for our next refurbishment task. Please accept my apologises for the inconvenience it caused you during your stay.

Hull, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful location, beautiful hotel. Nothing was a problem for any of the staff.
Check in was abit unsteady but was soon sorted out. Choose to eat in the bar on first evening, it was simple food but lovely.
Room was very clean and very comfy.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest

I was also delighted to read you enjoyed our Tempus Bar menu and the meal you received was to your satisfaction. Your compliments concerning the cleanliness of your bedroom have been passed on to our Head of Housekeeping and I am delighted that your bedroom was to your comfort and to the high quality standard that you required. Once again, I thank you for your feedback and we will look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal York Hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

A large group of us were hoping to spend a weekend at The Royal York in order to celebrate a golden wedding anniversary. However, after some pretty poor customer service, we decided against it. They were unable to guarantee the family rooms would have one double and 2 single beds - I was told we may have to make do with 2 doubles. Given we were booking 8 months in advance, and would have been spending nearly £3000 on rooms alone, I was somewhat surprised by this. They also told us they were unable to accommodate our party in their restauarant as there were too many of us (10 adults and 9 children). Not really what you would expect from a 4 star hotel boasting a conference centre and banquet suite. In short, if you're travelling in a sizeable group or with children then I would steer clear.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent enquiry to stay at The Royal York Hotel.

I was concerned to read your comments and your disappointment regarding the poor customer service you received at the time of your enquiry. Our family rooms consist of two double beds and unfortunately they are unable to be split into two singles. We can however provide an extra bed in the family rooms if required. I do offer my apologises for the inconvenience this issue caused you hence preventing you from making a booking with us.

I was also concerned to read your comments regarding your enquiry to dine in our Tempus restaurant as a party of 19 people. The restaurant has the capacity to hold over 100 people and the option of private dining for a group of 19 people should have been offered to you also. I have spoken to our in-house Reservation Manager who will resolve this issue and implement a re-training programme for the concerned individual.

Once again, I reiterate my apologises for your disappointment and for the subsequent dissatisfaction you experienced at the time of your enquiry. I do hope we will be able to restore your faith back into The Royal York Hotel and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Chester-le-Street, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Myself and my partner went away for a weekend to York and stayed here for a second time because we had enjoyed our stay previously. It was a valentines treat and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Lovely bottle of champagne in the hotel bar (little pricey however but never mind) and lovely comfortable room with a view of the wheel. The only thing I wasn't keen on were the vegetarian sausages at breakfast. But that was it ! Other than that a pleasant stay yet again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyFurlong, General Manager at The Royal York Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your Valentines break with us and the quality and standard of your bedroom was to your satisfaction.

I have noted your comments regarding the price of our champagne in our Tempus Bar and I have spoken to our Bar Manager to review the selection and suppliers that we use. I have also spoken to our Head Chef concerning the vegetarian sausages you received at breakfast and I have requested him to provide a meat option also for future guests. I do offer my apologises for the inconvenience these issues caused you during your stay.

I thank you for your honest feedback and we will look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit to The Royal York Hotel in the near future.

Tony Furlong

Been to The Royal York Hotel? Share your experiences!