“Beautiful relaxed setting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ship Inn York

The Ship Inn York
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
The Ship Inn York
You added The Ship Inn York to your Saves list
Moor End | Acaster Malbis, York YO23 2UH, England   |
Ranked #149 of 213 York B&B and Inns
Hull
“Beautiful relaxed setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The double room we got had a 4 poster bed which was very comfy, room was spacious and clean with views of the boats on the river, loveley toiletries and fluffy white towels, plenty of tea/coffee. The evening meal was very tasty with large portions, and the staff were so happy to help. Breakfast was plentiful and very tasty (slight niggle was that there were no fresh juice- hadnt had the delivery yet- but gave me a britvic 55 and that we couldn't get a good picture on the tv ) Lovely beer and gardens. We are planning to go back soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

There was cobwebs and dirty skirting boards everywhere
the food and service was amazing but just lacking personal touches eg no menu or choices for breakfast no cereal or fresh juice or toast and jam and they had run out of SUGAR!!!!!!
We didnt get towels till 7.15pm on day of arrival
shame because food and staff was fabulous

• Stayed September 2012
East Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have waited over a week to write this review to give myself chance to reflect on the stay, to see if I would feel any different as time passed... I don't I am still mortified by the whole experience.
We booked a living social deal with our neighbour's, we were a little apprehensive as it was cheap at only £52 for DBB, but we thought even if it is basic as long as it is clean it will be fine. Now there is where the problem's started......
We checked into our room and it was very basic and old fashioned, it had a sink in the bedroom and a sliding door to the bathroom(which was only attached at the top so flapped away from the door at the bottom) which housed a tiny old shower and a toilet. Unfortunately the bathroom was filthy there was hair and dust everywhere and the backing off a large sanitary towel stuck to the floor!!!
I went down to the bar to explain the situation to the staff, I was met by what I can only say was a mere acknowledgement of the problem and that house keeping would sort it out, I did not even get an apology from the manager with whom I spoke, he just turned away and served someone else!! Now if that was me I would have been mortified and been apologetic.
We bought a drink and sat outside and had a discussion on whether we should try and find somewhere else to stay for the night, but we decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and stay, how I wish we hadn't.
The woman that checked us in, who had seemed quite stressed and did a lot of muttering under her breath came to get our keys off us to clean the room as that was the only set, when she returned then she just shrugged and again no apology for the state of the room.
There were issues in the afternoon about were we could sit to have a drink the bar was pretty full and it seemed to be more geared up for diners rather than for drinking, we were told to sit in the conservatory. We went to this empty room that stunk of chip fat and decided we did not want to sit there so went back to the bar and sat at a table that did not have reserved sign on it.
We went through to have our evening meal (the one positive is that the food is not bad) the restaurant is quite small and there were only a few other people in. As a group talk got onto that most people were on this living social deal and people were discussing this. I said that I had an issue with the cleanliness of the room and described the state of the bathroom, the next minute the manager comes across and tells us there has been a complaint against us from a fellow diner.
I cannot begin to tell you how horrified we all were, we were having a discussion and I was in no way being rude of offensive. As you can imagine things got a little heated and it totally ruined our night. I went to speak to the manager 15 minutes later in the bar, and he had the nerve to say it was not appropriate to speak to him in the bar but he felt it appropriate to come to us in the restaurant and embarrass us in such a way!!! He went onto make ridiculous accusations about us being rude to his waiter (we most definitely were not) he was annoyed that we sat in the bar earlier and not in the conservatory as we had been told (what are we children).
I can honestly say I have never visited a more badly run establishment with a manager with such poor customer service skills.
We went to bed without finishing our meal as we were so upset, we did not get any sleep due to music playing until 2.30am, we checked out as soon as we could in the morning without having breakfast as we could not bear to stay there a minute longer,

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Lovely pub, great food - changed hands a few months ago and Hamish adn Jamie are doing a great job. Stayed on a Thursday - which is quiz night - had a wonderful evening. Really nice staff (Ben deserves a mention - quiz master extraodinaire) Enjoyed myself so much I missed breakfast :( Husband told me it was really good. Ouse broke her banks that night and husband had to borrow wellies to rescue car. Will definitely go again

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

The Ship Inn is located in a lovely location with views of the river ouze, the food is excellent, we went on a living social deal which was an absolute steal, it is reasonably priced for the great size portions and standard of food on a normal basis, £27.50 for 3 courses. The rooms are average but well kept, I was told by the co owners that they plan to refurb the rooms but they are just so busy at the moment. The owners and staff are all very welcoming and friendly, shame they had to deal with a drunken bunch of whiners whilst we were there, dealt with very well I would say! Several other couples were there on the same offer and sung their praise too.

We are planning to go back in the near future.

Thank you Jamie and Hamish for an excellent weekend!

• Stayed May 2012
Driffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

As part of a tour we spent the night here after a day in York, courtesy of the park and ride. The four-poster bedroom was a pleasant surprise and otherwise adequately furnished with a fully-equipped en-suite and a view across to the river. The bistro menu was comprehensive and the food and service faultless. We would happily return for a longer stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are to be refurnished by the new manager so can only comment on the one we had
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Visiting York for the first time on business, I found this very reasonably priced accommodation on bookings.com and thought I would give it a try. It is located about 4 miles outside York in the quaintest village called Moorend. I stayed in room one, which although fairly basic was very comfortable and pleasantly decorated, with an ensuite loo and shower and a basin in the room itself. Hamish, who I think was the owner was very friendly and welcoming when showing me to my room. The only thing he could have perhaps mentioned was that in order for the shower to work - one has to flick a power switch on the outside of the bathroom. There was only a small portable television and no extras such as phone or hairdryer - but enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep none the less. Across the road and beyond the carpark is the River Ouse and actually saw one of the most beautiful sunrises ever, from my bedroom window that faced the river. I enjoyed a meal from their extensive 'home cooked' style menu in the evening which did not disappoint. As an ex pat living in SA for 17 years - it was good to experience some decent pub food again. My only gripes were that the free wifi only works in the bar itself, so was a little irritated I could not work in my room, especially as a single traveller, not particularly wanting to sit on my own in the pub all night. Also for people on business, their breakfast starts a bit late at 9am until 11am and sadly I had to miss this ... perfect though I would think for those wanting a lie in on a lazy weekend away.

Room Tip: If light sleeper - perhaps a back room might be better ... as I did hear some noise from pub custome...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Ship Inn York? Share your experiences!