“Awesome bistro” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, International, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Ambience has the most beautiful city walled garden with minster views! Inside is small and intimate with a very warm and friendly atmosphere. Out side we have a covered area with has heaters for the colder days and evenings also we have a graveled area and a garden area to relax in!You must come and have a look you will be very impressed
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Awesome bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Back from Australia for a few weeks, all I wanted was a full English breakfast and was not disappointed. Probably one of the best I have had all local produce. Service was excellent Will definitely eat at Ambience again.

Pulborough, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous evening meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

On a recent visit to York we chose to go here for dinner one evening as we could get a discount due to being Telegraph subscribers. It is a tiny restaurant and offers a menu with a few choices. Service is attentive and the chef is able to answer questions about the food. The atmosphere is relaxed and not frantic like many other places in the city. We both had lamb which was cooked perfectly and very delicious. The black pudding added to the creamed potatoes was yummy. Portions were generous. Starters were also good and prices for drinks and coffee are reasonable. There is an obvious love of food going on here and a desire to please. We will be back.

Visited April 2014
“Really great local restaurant cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

With the best cheese scones for miles around. Quaint bistro underneath the city walls. Well worth a visit

Visited April 2014
York, United Kingdom
“What a lovely place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited with my husband as he had spotted that it had a garden at the back and we fancied a quick lunch outside. The waitress greeted us and informed us of the specials and the soup of the day, she was very friendly and we took a seat in the garden. The York City wall is situated at the back of the garden and there is a lovely grassed area and hillside of flowers to look onto and there are quite a few tables outside, it was a lovely touch that you can take a blanket to use if you are a little nippy!! The table was a little dirty with food / drink stains but not terrible. The menu was lovely, it's a cafe style menu during the day and they are more of a bistro in the evening. I had the tomato and wild garlic soup, it was freshly made and using the wild garlic from the garden. It was very tasty as was the bread served alongside it. It was quite filling so disappointingly I didn't get to try the sticky toffee pudding.... next time! My husband had ham, eggs and home made chips which looked great! I would have preferred to have had sea salt rather than table salt but I loved that they were in mini kilner jars. I loved the beverage choices and I enjoyed a Fentimans Cherry cola (very good)... next time something different. Apparently they do Sunday lunch and themed evenings so we will definitely be back! The proprietor was very friendly also...

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Great little find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Wanted to come here for the outside garden which faces the walls, with the sun out makes it a lovely place to sit out and eat.

Good choice on the menu not too much and just enough.

Great to see someone using Duck eggs, I had my own Ducks and love the eggs.

Waitress,s first day but she was very pleasant and coped very well

I had chosen what I wanted and went in to order, then I saw an old childhood favorite on the specials board Egg, Ham and Chips so had to change my mind, okay not very exciting I hear you say, but anything that takes me back to my early days cannot be bad.

As it happens Guy the owner was taking my order, before I ordered I did ask if the Ham was proper ham and not just processed, I think he was a little taken aback when I asked and assured me that it was the good stuff, Guy I didn't mean to offend but if you don't ask you don't know and it was important.

I also asked for coffee with cold milk and he was happy to oblige and I did get cold milk (Coffee Culture take note!)

It had started to get busier once we arrived, but the food still arrived in good time, lovely big fat chips in fact cant remember the last time I had chips that fat and cooked perfect.

One little small gripe and its just because its how I used to have it, I received three pieces of ham thinly sliced, I would have been happy with just two but thicker cut, as I said small gripe the ham was good and if it had been two thick pieces I would have marked the place excellent

Anyhow give it ago, he seems to be trying hard and making it interesting by holding events and keeping it fresh, I think the next visit will be for a Sunday lunch

Well Done