“Wow, what a gem of a cafe!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Wow, what a gem of a cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

As far as I'm concerned, York is one of the best places to visit for a weekend away and me and my better half could not believe our eyes when we walked past the window of Mannions and saw the size of the meringues!! We weren't quite ready for a coffee and later on we couldn't remember where it was, but after seeing the queue at Betty's we were on a mission to find this place and we did and how happy we were! Gorgeous little place, warm welcome, down to earth, completely relaxing atmosphere. That was before the food arrived, I got so excited about the teapots and the delicate little cake stand. I was so pleased with myself because I ordered the cheese scone with rhubarb jam and mascarpone with herbs, it was DIVINE!!! the waitress was so helpful as she suggested we mix our afternoon tea with sweet and savory choices at no extra cost. I haven't stop telling people about this place, it was a real food memory and cannot recommend highly enough and looking forward to next visit.

York
“Best cafe in York.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have lived in York for 25 years so have probably eaten in most of the cafes in York but this is my absolute favourite. We have visited on several occasions with friends and they too have shared our view that the food served is not only delicious but excellent value. I have occasionally had to queue outside on the pavement but the waitress has always popped out to give us an indication of how long we'd have to wait.
Our most recent visit was on a snowy Saturday. We took the trip in to town specifically to visit Mannion and co. We were asked if we minded sitting on a sharing table with two other couples. We didn't mind at all. I had a delicious bowl of steaming soup which was served with a very generous portion of freshly baked bread. On the way out we purchased two of the sausage rolls from the deli counter to take home for our daughters. They were declared the best they'd ever eaten.
If you are fortunate enough to visit in summer there is a lovely courtyard with a view of the Minster.
I have visited this cafe many times and have never been disappointed. The staff are always courteous and friendly and the food is delicious. It may be small but that adds to the charm. Just keep doing what you're doing Mannion and Co!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Friendlier than cheers, tastier than Betty's and cheaper than Jamie Oliver's !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We love mannion's, the food the staff and the other customers, having visited many times and shared a table or two we've met some delightful people, no matter whether there's two of us and a baby bump, a now active 11 month old or a large party of us we're always welcomed, even three of us breastfeeding our babies simultaneously! The food is always delicious, they're always accommodating to changes or extras to menu choices, we've learnt to order our desert as we wait for our table as everything is made fresh they sell out quite quickly, the fresh bread is exactly that & makes great toast the following day, I don't believe fresh bread should last a week! ... Looking forward to our next visit.

Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Visited in march 2012 on my first visit to York. We decided to eat here after having a walk around looking for a place which we liked the look of. We are very glad we did - the afternoon tea was superb! The food was really tasty and presented beautifully. The service was good, and the atmosphere pleasant. This place is a must for foodies! There were macaroons being made whilst we were there which looked delicious too! We also loved the Stump For Life teapot our tea was served in, so much so I hunted it out on the internet and bought one. :)

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Returning customer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The best of the best! I live in York and will go out of my way to visit this friendly little cafe! Beautiful garden in the summer or snuggly old tea room for the winter with great shabby chic decor. If it is for breakfast, lunch or some meats for a charcuterie supper they can deliver, and even more it is all done with a smile! Service is fast yet relaxing enough to let you unwind! KEEP UP THE AMAZING SERVICE!!!!!!!!