“Best cafe in York.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
York
“Best cafe in York.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have lived in York for 25 years so have probably eaten in most of the cafes in York but this is my absolute favourite. We have visited on several occasions with friends and they too have shared our view that the food served is not only delicious but excellent value. I have occasionally had to queue outside on the pavement but the waitress has always popped out to give us an indication of how long we'd have to wait.
Our most recent visit was on a snowy Saturday. We took the trip in to town specifically to visit Mannion and co. We were asked if we minded sitting on a sharing table with two other couples. We didn't mind at all. I had a delicious bowl of steaming soup which was served with a very generous portion of freshly baked bread. On the way out we purchased two of the sausage rolls from the deli counter to take home for our daughters. They were declared the best they'd ever eaten.
If you are fortunate enough to visit in summer there is a lovely courtyard with a view of the Minster.
I have visited this cafe many times and have never been disappointed. The staff are always courteous and friendly and the food is delicious. It may be small but that adds to the charm. Just keep doing what you're doing Mannion and Co!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Friendlier than cheers, tastier than Betty's and cheaper than Jamie Oliver's !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We love mannion's, the food the staff and the other customers, having visited many times and shared a table or two we've met some delightful people, no matter whether there's two of us and a baby bump, a now active 11 month old or a large party of us we're always welcomed, even three of us breastfeeding our babies simultaneously! The food is always delicious, they're always accommodating to changes or extras to menu choices, we've learnt to order our desert as we wait for our table as everything is made fresh they sell out quite quickly, the fresh bread is exactly that & makes great toast the following day, I don't believe fresh bread should last a week! ... Looking forward to our next visit.

Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Visited in march 2012 on my first visit to York. We decided to eat here after having a walk around looking for a place which we liked the look of. We are very glad we did - the afternoon tea was superb! The food was really tasty and presented beautifully. The service was good, and the atmosphere pleasant. This place is a must for foodies! There were macaroons being made whilst we were there which looked delicious too! We also loved the Stump For Life teapot our tea was served in, so much so I hunted it out on the internet and bought one. :)

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Returning customer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The best of the best! I live in York and will go out of my way to visit this friendly little cafe! Beautiful garden in the summer or snuggly old tea room for the winter with great shabby chic decor. If it is for breakfast, lunch or some meats for a charcuterie supper they can deliver, and even more it is all done with a smile! Service is fast yet relaxing enough to let you unwind! KEEP UP THE AMAZING SERVICE!!!!!!!!

York, United Kingdom
“Delicious food let down by details....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Don't get me wrong, the quality of food at Mannion's is extremely high. The chacuterie and smoked meats were glorious, and care has gone into the selection of all the ingredients. The presentation of the food is well thought out, rustic and wholesome, meals often come on slabs of wood, and tea is served in wonderful metal pots.
But for me this experience has been deflated by the service and surrounding. In virtually the same second that our posteriors touched the seats the rather terrifying waitress rushed up to ask for our order. After this baptism, I had a chance to look at my surroundings. The seating space (for what in fairness is primarily a delicatessen) is limited and cramped. The furniture has aimed for shabby-chic, and ended up at just plain shabby (with an ominously fist sized hole in the seat of my friends chair). What must have been a once beautiful wood panelled room had been glopped over with depressing grey paint, a shade drab rather than elegant.
When the waitress returned, glaring, but quickly enough with my meal, 'Bacon with hen eggs and truffle oil' (as opposed to I imagine, crocodile eggs, or granted, quail), there was no butter with the accompanying bread, and I was too intimidated or too slow to ask before she had rushed off, which made for a rather dry conclusion to the meal. However, before that, the bacon was superb and the truffle oil elevated everything wonderfully. A dessert of marmalade roulade was perhaps a bit too sickly sweet and dry on the edges. But before me and my friends had a chance to digest and discuss our meal, Darth Waitress was, once again impatiently hovering, waiting for us to settle the bill (there were lots of pats of butter right next to the till, which rubbed things in a little). And when the bill came, the impression of being rushed through and made uncomfortable for quick turnaround made the amount seem that little bit less justified.

Visited January 2013
loulou9, Owner at Mannion And Co, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you that's very nice of you.