“Excellent and quiet location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in York
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
“Excellent and quiet location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Have not stayed here before this time, but I like the brand and am an IHG card holder. Lovely quiet hotel situated in the Plockton suburb of York, which seems like a nice residential area. Ample free car parking and situated within wLking distance of York race course. Good restaurant and reasonable, if a little limited, bar food.

Rooms exactly what you would expect: clean, secure and reasonable facilities. Buffet breakfast selection very good and all quite freshly cooked, despite being fairly quiet.

All in all, a good hotel, in a nice location for visits to York City or the races and I'm sure I'll be back again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear George R
Delighted to read that you have stayed with us before and you are intending to come back again in the future. Many thanks for your review and I am pleased you enjoy our quiet location but still find us in a convenient position for the city centre.
I look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
With Kind Regards
Douglas Winfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
northumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our third visit here, solely because of the location & free parking. Hotel is so tired, our room (419) had the towel rail in the bathroom literally hanging off the wall. Fridge door loose, three tatty tea bags.
The hotel is currently up for sale & it appears that the management have given up. Basic maintenance matters are being ignored.
Staff are un-motivated. When we were checking in, another customer enthusiastically asked the receptionist if the Tour de France would be passing close by. She just shrugged and mumbled 'I think so...dunno'.
Breakfast ok but no eggs, apparently they were 'being cooked', and the much heralded pancake machine was out of order.
On the plus side, it is clean and the free parking is a massive bonus, a 5 minute bus ride into the city & the car can be left for free in the car park.
It's definitely in limbo waiting for a buyer...wont be back.

Dear loulouham
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you found the hotel to be in a good location with easy access to the city, and the convenience of leaving your car in our free car park was a bonus for you. I am sorry for your feelings towards our team Members, I am most concerned and shocked to learn of your observations as this is not typical of our usual complimentary feedback which our team receives. I would like to assure you despite the changes which are occurring within the company, at the Holiday Inn York it is our absolute priority to deliver a great stay for all of our guests. Please be assured your feedback is being used in a constructive manner.
With kind regards
Knutsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Everything is very functional and all the rooms both executive and standard are clean and well presented. The room service, restaurant and breakfast are standard Holiday Inn fare but they do it quite well. The staff at Reception and in the bar are very good and this makes this hotel better than the average Holiday Inn. The location near the racecourse is very good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Richard B
Great to read your feedback, your comments are very much appreciated and thank you for your compliments towards our team.
with kind regards
chelmsford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We choose this hotel for its location very near York town centre. We were not disappointed. You can leave your car in the hotel parking and the bus No.4 runs every 5 - 6 minutes and brought us into the town centre in no time. The staff at the reception was very helpful, knowledgeable and very friendly. The room was large and very comfortable, and the shower powerful. Food in the restaurant was good. I particularly loved the cheesecake.
We had a great time staying in this hotel while visiting York.

Room Tip: We liked our executive room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear ChelmfsfordLil
I was delighted to read your review and pleased you found the hotel to be in a good location with easy access to the City.
Many thanks
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is good hotel in the Holiday Inn chain and even the drab 1970's building shouldn't be to much of an "off putter". The hotel is well situated in a quiet residential area bordering the race course. It is about £7/8 in a taxi from the station 15 minutes by bus from the station and about a 30-40 minute walk.

All areas of the hotel were clean and fresh and the reception staff were friendly and efficient, especially as i arrived late after a long day and just wanted to crash! The hotel was busy but quiet and relaxing.

The room was large and very comfortable, if a slightly odd shape while the bed was large and also comfortable. All the bed lined was scrupulously clean and fresh as were the towels. The shower was hot and powerful but the head looked a bit dated. Decent toiletries were provided. Being able to open the window and let the steam out was very welcome.

The room was very comfortable and after a good, if unspectacular, room service curry I had a relaxing and long nights sleep.

I ate breakfast in the restaurant which offered a wide variety of products on a buffet basis. The quality was about what you expect for self service mass catering but was fine. The restaurant itself was clean and well set out. As breakfast was bust service was not as personal as it could have been.

While i has a room overlooking the car park ( there was no noise) the rooms at the back of the hotel must look out over the racecourse. These will offer a nicer view.

Overall a good hotel which was pleasant to visit. it is a little far for my work requirements but I would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear MKNR
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
With kind regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed one night in June

Can't fault the reception staff...check-in was quick, easy but I did lack a little bit of a personal touch. Still it's a cheaper hotel so I wasn't expecting being walked to the room and shown the mints on the pillows (which there weren't any).

Room was boiling hot so the Air-conditioning was a must...in fact we both decided on this hotel because of the air-con. The Air-con saved the rating from falling and it was a life safer as the hotel was a little too warm all around, humid weather.

The room was basic although the room seemed clean...and believe me, I ran my finger around the room to make sure - I'm that fussy! The bed was comfy for me, not so much for my partner who takes to sleeping on memory foam whilst I can sleep on a rack of logs if I'm that tired.

My only objection to the overall decent review was the Restaurant. The staff that were supposed to welcome us just told us "The restaurant has no tables" which was a lie, as it had people already in there eating away. Maybe the chef went home early or just nipped outside for a long cigarette - who knows!

Disappointed with the restaurant, due to being told to pick from (I mean a really rubbish menu) the pub menu...and being surrounded by single people on business trips and drowning their sorrows of the world-cup in the bar/pub..we left.

To be blatantly honest, the price of the Hotel's menu was around the same as the restaurant where we ended up that evening..and I had a much nicer experience there.

The cleaning staff however were friendly, saying good morning which surprised me as the staff always seemed busy and focused on checking people in or telling them to bugger off and eat elsewhere.

Try hiring the cleaners as front desk and restaurant staff...They'd prob get acclaim!

So in summary. A decent hotel for a one (possibly 2) night stay if you're passing through. York is great, so it didn't ruin anything and the downsides were slight and not a disaster.

I'd recommend this hotel if you need a clean room for a decent price...maybe try the restaurant on your stay.

Dear Peter D
Thank your for your review, your comments are very important to us and they will be used in a constructive manner. I am pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and members of our team to be friendly. I am sorry for the experience you encountered with our restaurant, on occasions to ensure our guests has a pleasant dining experience we do have to control the restaurant bookings especially if we are expecting a number of guests or groups who have reserved tables to shortly arrive.
Please be assured your comments will be discussed with the whole team to improve the service we offer in the future.
with kind regards
Gosport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights to visit York & the surrounding area. Had a lovely quiet room at the back of the hotel.

We were on a DBB basis which was very good value if you book a long way in advance and the variety on the menu & separate set menu was very good (even staying 5 nights) though vegetable soup & carrot & corriander soup were one & the same! I would just say that on the Monday & Tuesday nights the waiting time for food from the kitchen was terrible, Monday night from sitting down to leaving the restaurant was one & three quarter hours. Even the waitress felt sorry for us and gave us a compliementry drink each, and we were not the only ones.

One night we received a letter asking us to have a drink & meet the management of the hotel and discuss any concerns. I did raise the matter of the waiting time for food and was told I was not the only person to have raised this matter. So management at the hotel please do something about it! If we had been B&B we would have ate elsewhere, there is a pub within 100 yards of the hotel and Tesco's down the road if you want to be cheap & cheerful. There was nothing wrong with the standard of the food it just needs to be a lot quicker & it was not overly busy.

The hotel has a large relaxing bar, though the prices are a little bit expensive.

If you want to get the bus into York centre I believe it's £3.70 each return from out side the hotel but if you drive about a mile to Askham Bar for the park & ride it's £2.70 return each.

Would stay here again? Yes, because it was very good value & everyone was very friendly plus we did have an enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are definitely quiet
Dear Wendyonthesouthcoast.
I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable, peaceful stay with us. I am sorry on two of the evenings you experienced problems with the service in the restaurant. Please be assured I will be discussing your findings with the restaurant manager . Your feedback is warmly welcomed and I was pleased to read that you did enjoy your meal and found the lounge/bar to be relaxing.
Many thanks
Douglas Winfield

Been to Holiday Inn York? Share your experiences!