“Good walk into York” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 44 Hotels in York
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good walk into York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Good spacious rooms here. We walked into York and back again to the hotel, it took us about half an hour and was along a straight road directly into York, on the way you walk past York racing course with good views across. On our last day we jumped into a taxi back to the hotel as it was starting to rain and there is no shelter along the way, but a lovely walk otherwise.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Caspence
Thank you for your review and pleased to hear you enjoyed the lovely walk to the City.
Douglas Winfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
St Helens, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed for 2nts at the end of March. The hotel was more than adequate for our needs, we wanted somewhere clean & at a reasonable price. We stayed in the Executive Rooms. There was certainly no "Wow" factor but it had everything we needed. The bed was huge & extremely comfortable. Breakfast was gorgeous and the service really friendly & attentive, the staff in the restaurant are a credit to the hotel. I'd definitely stay here again as it served the purpose we needed it for. If you're looking for something luxurious & with a bit of "wow" factor this isn't the place but if you want a good, clean hotel within easy reach of York this will certainly fit the bill.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Janz01
Thank you for reviewing your stay, glad to hear you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed your Holiday Inn Breakfast and found the service to be friendly and attentive.
Rochester, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very clean and fairly comfortable. My only warning is that the beds were moderately hard but if you can live with this it's the pace for you. I was so tired I didn't care. The plumbing worked fine unlike most of the places we stayed in England. Food was fine in their restaurant. I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear rawsco1
Thank you for your review and recommendation, I am pleased you found the hotel to be a nice place to stay while in the UK. I am sorry the mattress was not to your comfort level.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I booked this as a surprise break for my boyfriend. I had never been to York but 2 miles out with a convenient bus route in seemed reasonable. The buses were about every 10 minutes and the fare was between £1.50 and £2 per person each way, depending on what bus company came along first. I booked the dinner, bed and breakfast package for £136. Without dinner the price was £111. Dinner was 3 courses chosen from a set menu. The choice of starter was soup (carrot and coriander on the day of our visit), pate, arincini (breaded risotto balls) or garlic mushrooms. The mains were sausage and mash, hunters chicken, kidney bean and cheese pie, Caesar salad ( maybe another main, can't remember). The desserts were cheesecake, chocolate mousse, sticky toffee pudding (other things I can't remember). We both had the pate, then the chicken and the sausage and mash. The chicken came with with sweet potato wedges and red cabbage with a little red onion and coriander dressing. It was delicious. We were almost too full for pudding but managed a cheesecake and chocolate pot. It was all good. The restaurant was busy but not packed. Breakfast the next day was in the same place. There was a wide choice from the buffet plus eggs cooked to order, and pancakes freshly made at the touch of a button. Our room was a standard room on the first floor at the back of the hotel, but I doubt that traffic noise would have bothered us anyway. The hotel is set back from the road. The room was clean and fresh, the bed was comfortable and the shower was good. We were able to check in early and head straight in to York on Saturday, checkout was 12 on Sunday. All the staff were pleasant, efficient and helpful. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Binkibelle
I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and I hope your boyfriend enjoyed his birthday trip to York. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I booked to stay at this hotel for two nights Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd March 2014 on a bed and breakfast basis for my wife and myself. On arrival we were checked in by a very pleasant lady on reception and were allocated room 304. The room was spotlessly clean and I found no evidence of anything requiring renovation. The beds were comfortable and we had a nice view over the gardens.

We had dinner in the restaurant that evening which was great. The slow cooked belly pork with cannellini beans was superb. We slept well in a very quiet room. On the Saturday morning we had unfortunately to check out early as my wife became unwell due to a pre existing condition, but before leaving I enjoyed a well cooked breakfast. The staff at this hotel are very pleasant and I would definately return here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear tidespring
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I am sorry you had to cut this short but I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the hotel to continue your stay. I do hope your wife is feeling better.
With my kind regards
General Manager.
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 3 night, As others have said could do with a refurbishment (except the breakfast room which was lovely) but nice nice and clean. Breakfasts where top class. Staff nice & friendly. The area itself is a safe residential one and not far from city centre, As others have said WIFI was extra (and expensive). Wouod recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dec78
Thank you for your recommendation and delighted to read that you a nice stay and enjoyed our breakfast offering.
Ruislip, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stayed here in February for two nights booked via the IHG website. Nice hotel with friendly staff. The room was very comfortable and clean with a big bed and plenty of towels. Bit disappointed with the charges for wi-fi as it is free in the majority of hotels now, certainly in public areas.
I had booked a deal that included dinner on the first night. On entering the restaurant we discovered that this was restricted to the set menu which was fairly limited. There was no mention of this when I booked, otherwise I would have left it at B&B and retained the option of elsewhere. I have used this deal in many Holiday Inns in the past and this was my first experience of this situation. As it was food was of a reasonable standard as was the service.
Breakfast was very good with a varied range of hot and cold food. Will continue to use the chain but be more wary of dining deals offered..

Room Tip: Rooms at rear may be best as there is a busy main road at the front of the hotel