“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 44 Hotels in York
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We picked this hotel as it is walking distance from York Racecourse. You can walk across the track (before racing starts) The hotel is good but not great. The room was good but the bathroom was tiny with a high sided bath not good for anyone with movement issues. It was however very clean.Reception was good on arrival but we had bill issues twice when leaving.1 Glass of red wine £9.15,and not that good. They have two house wines but give you the dearer won the other was £7.55 also mediocre. The lady at reception said that the alcohol was expensive. The evening meal was as expected with a very limited choice. The breakfast was poor and my husband had to wait for poached eggs for half an hour along with everybody else. Toast was the cheapest bread l have had. Staff however on the whole were good. For £190.00 DBB. Expensive for what it was.

Room Tip: Just do B&B
Nick H, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Christine28may,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback your comments, it is through this process that we can look to improve the service we offer.
I am sorry that we did not deliver a great stay for you during your recent visit, this is not the level of service that we aim to deliver. I shall review all of your concerns regarding both your evening and breakfast experiences with my Bars and Restaurant manager to ensure that we look to improve in the future where we have failed with your self.
I would like to also thank you for your kind words regading the cleanliness and the general attitude of the staff, they are much appreciated.

If you would like to discuss your stay with me further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel

Many thanks and best regards

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Tadcaster Road and this is superbly located for visiting York. The hotel is just back from a main road into the town centre and there is easy access to several bus routes to all areas of the town centre including the train station. There is ample car parking at the hotel at no extra charge, we were therefore able to park the car once we had arrived and make good use of the local buses. A return fare into the centre was only £3.50 at the time of writing, and took around 10-15 mins depending on destination. The hotel offers various Dinner packages and we found the food to be quite acceptable, but nothing special. We felt that whilst we were very happy with the accommodation, it was perhaps not quite a full 4*, maybe around 3.5* as some of the bedroom furniture is a little tired and the bathrooms need a make-over. But even so, it was very comfortable, the staff were friendly and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are subject to early morning deliveries as well as early/late coaches.
HIYork, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn York and you found the hotel to be in an superb location for visiting York. As you discovered we do have excellent quick transport links to the city centre enabling you to take advantage of our free car park. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
With kind regards
Martock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Regardless of any of the negative feedback on trip advisor, I booked in for a one night stay recently. I had a very enjoyable stay and found the staff to be very friendly, food good and all areas were very clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HIYork, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I very much appreciate your comments and delighted that you had an enjoyable stay. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn York in the future.
Many thanks
Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here whilst on a short break to York. It is easy to find with plenty of free parking and then only 25 mins into the icty (come out and turn right and keep going!). It is next to the racecourse. The hotel itself was large, clean and had 3 lifts. Our room was large, airy (good air conditioning) and flat screen tv. We did not have the best view, but not a problem.

we ate one night in the hotel and that was nice as we could eat outside.

There is no fitness centre, but it was a nice walk!

A pleasant stay...

HIYork, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn York and posting your photographs. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable short break and you found the hotel to be comfortable and friendly in a good location with easy access to the city centre.
With regards
Innsbruck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I use holiday inn all over the uk and Europe with my company and find most to be ok and a few just awful and need closing down such as Lancaster
But every time I come to York I stay here and find the service and staff far better than the 5 star ceder court just up the road
I cannot praise them enough for the effort they use to make you feel so welcome and always look forward to my return trip
The staff really do holiday inn proud keep up the amazing service folks there's not many like you left

• Stayed July 2013
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
I was delighted to read your review and felt very proud of the level of service you have been given, please be assured I will be sharing your comments with the whole team as these will have a real impact upon their job satisfaction. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.
My many thanks
Louisa Green
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel and the rooms are quite old. Bathrooms are very old fashioned and not renovated.
If you have a car, it can be a good option as there are many parking spaces. Otherwise consider staying near the city centre, as the hotel is far away from everything.

Room Tip: Stay away from ground floor. The floor is cold.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HIYork, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I am very sorry for your feelings towards the hotel but I am pleased you found our free car park to be useful for our visitors. The hotel is 1.5 miles from the city and we do have excellent public transport links from outside the hotel to the city which run every 10 minutes.
Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I am very qualified to write a review for this hotel and others as I spend my life in them.

I stayed at HI York for 8 weeks, the rooms are good and location for the racing is brilliant.

For those not staying for a pleasure visit please be aware that resturant and room service is awful. Numerous complaints were made.

Waiting 1 1/2hrs to be given wrong food, no spoons for soup when ordering room service. Food burnt, or under cooked. Something was wrong nearly every night.

Serious improvements need to made.

I have synced moved to The Village Hotel in Hull which is far more professonial than HI York.

• Stayed June 2013
HIYork, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear dannycopeland
Thank you for your feedback on this website and for taking the time to discuss your findings with me at the hotel during your stay. I would like to assure you that the shortfalls which you experienced have now been rectified and we have now returned to our usual high standards.
I would like to reiterate my sincere apologies to you for the problems which occurred while you were staying with us.
With Regards
Operations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn York? Share your experiences!