“I want to live here” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Little snoring
“I want to live here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Back again a year later, apprehensive in case it's changed or we can't get a seat.

Empty!! And same chef (Steve?) with same excellent food.

A pot of tea each (seems to only come in large; isn't Yorkshire wonderful), locally made raisin bagel for my wife, and a bacon, chorizo and mushroom roll for me. All perfect.

The menu for lunch looked wonderful but we had to leave York before then.

I can't understand why they make so much effort for so few covers, but I'm glad they do.

Obviously had to buy a few things in the marvellous deli before we left. I'm glad I'm not interested in chocolate because their selection looked fascinating.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

York, United Kingdom
“Oh dear!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited the Hairy Fig for morning coffee following reading an article in a magazine so we had high expectations. The cafe area is situated towards the back of a the shop which sells an interesting array of teas, coffee, chocolates etc We sat down and perused the small menu and ordered a coffee & tea but decided not to order food as it was alittle early for cake and the other choices were not to our taste, however, the luch menu looked extremely interesting and tempting so we planned to return for lunch. Coffee arrived and I can honestly say it was the most disgusting cup of coffee I have ever had the misfortune to drink. Although the business had a very good hygiene rating so correct procedures must be in place we thought the kitchen area looked very untidy and some of the chairs were very dusty so we made paid our bill and made a quick exit. N3edless to say we will not be going back!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“What a Lovely Little Place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is a lovely place. I sat outside (they only had two tables) and enjoyed a bottle of real ale at the rear of the premises overlooking the medieval Merchant Adventurers hall. What a little sun trap and what a nice lady running the place!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
east yorkshire
“Rustic deli with food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Two adjacent tiny shops, packed to the rafters with delicious and interesting food. At the rear of one there is an even tinier cafe, seating 10. It's not very comfortable, but you will not be there for hours. Most people having their delicious cakes with tea. If you want to have lunch book a table. The menu is not long, there is a specials board. The food is a showcase for the stock of the deli and can be seen arriving from next door as stocks are replenished. We had a good beef pie, gnocchi with Stilton sauce, smoked duck salad and best of all smoked eel salad, all served with different breads from the deli. Cheesecake was good and Tiramisu wonderful. Service very friendly and down to earth, one waitress and one chef - no room for more. Don't miss it if you are in York - the deli alone is worth a detour.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
uk
“deli good, cafe rude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

the deli is full of just about anything and everything that a deli should have, unfortunately it is tiny and you really need to spend a couple of hours in there just checking everything out. Even after going there for over a year I'm sure there are things I've not spotted. Most of the food has been of good quality but occasionally some items in the fruit/veg/nuts has apparently suffered from the poor harvests and not really very good quality.
the cafe is small, and apparently popular, with perhaps an exclusive clientele?, certainly I've rarely felt more unwelcome in any eating establishment anywhere in the world. an intensive customer care course is required urgently. I encountered similar response earlier this year when I first visited but was anxious to give them a second chance to make a good first impression - unfortunately they failed so shall stick with the Deli and their delicious cheeses and marmite bread

• Visited October 2012