“Most authentic suhi and korean food ib York.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oshibi

Oshibi
9 Franklins Yard, Fossgate | Tuesday to Saturday Evenings 5. 30 to 10. 00, Lunch Thursday Friday Saturday 12. 00 Till 2. 00, York YO1 9TN, England
+44 1904 593649
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 656 Restaurants in York
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Most authentic suhi and korean food ib York.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

The food here will exceed your expectations. It's as healthy as it is tasty. There are various lunch options available for around £5-£6. I work in town and go in once ervery week. Everything is cooked from fresh. Try the kimbap, korean sushi, you won't be disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

York
“AFFORDABLE, AUTHENTIC AND DELICIOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This little cafe just within Monkbar city walls is a real gem of a place! I’ve been a few times now and have tried something different every time – each meal has been very tasty and well prepared. Although the menu isn’t the clearest, the staff and owner are so warm and friendly that I don’t think this impacts at all negatively on the place. In fact I usually order based on staff recommendations. Also the owner has pointed out to me before that he likes to keep rotating the menu due to seasonal produce and experimenting with new dishes so it makes sense really that he wouldn’t have a “written in stone” menu.
All meals are around the £5 mark which is good value. I particularly like the bento boxes, noodle soups, gyozas and fresh sushi (the owner never keeps leftover fish overnight). The ingredients are well sourced and the cuisine is expertly cooked. Even the rice alone is delicious! In all honesty I’ve never tried the salads and sandwiches but if I want a sarnie I’ll go to Gregs! There’s far too much traditional Japanese and Korean food for me to be concerned with sandwich fillings.....
I think it’s worth mentioning that once when I was suffering from a really bad cold, the owner brought me a cup of barley tea on the house as it is widely believed to help – and that it did! It’s these small, nice touches that make me want to return to places and I’ll certainly keep frequenting Oshibi.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chester, United Kingdom
“Excellent for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Amazing food in cheap cafe style better than expected. The service was excellent. Don't expect decedence but expect excellent food.

• Visited September 2012
North London
“Delightful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We spent a day in York and stumbled across Oshibi at lunch time. A small place that looks more like a lunchroom/take away place, that offers true Korean food. I had vegetables and salmon with rice and my partner udon noodles with beef. Both were cooked from scratch, fantastic flavours. Friendly service. An individual place and we felt a very good choice given the number of restaurants in York. Good for lunch or take away.

• Visited August 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Wish we lived closer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We tried Oshibi on a day trip to York after reading good reviews on Trip Advisor. We both had the mandu (gyoza) and the beef bulgogi. They were delicious! Staff were friendly. Yes, they don't have a proper menu, just lots of pictures on one side and a menu on the wall behind the counter, but I think this is probably an attempt to make the experience more authentic. We would go again and again if only we lived closer.

• Visited August 2012