“The Shambles Room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
You added Golden Fleece to your Saves list
16 Pavement, York YO1 9UP, England   |
Ranked #131 of 213 York B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“The Shambles Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I booked The Shambles for a night on my mum's Birthday and I was blown away at how nice the room is, I kind of forgot it was meant to be haunted! It's been renovated since the pictures on the site were taken. New cushiony carpet, bright walls (a few pictures on them wouldn't go amiss), the bed has been moved to another wall, a giant mirror has appeared, the wardrobe has changed and the bathroom has one of those stand-alone baths and a HUGE walk in shower.

I work in York in a dingy Georgian house hotel, it looks like an old lady's home which is in desperate need of renovation. We get complaints from anyone under 80. I am so shocked you can get a legendary room in York like The Shambles for just £10 more than we charge for our four poster and it's much nicer.

With that said, no ghostly activity. I slept no problem (with the exception of having to wait for the bar to close and for the "investigative team" upstairs to stop rearranging furniture! Can't be helped in a haunted hotel I guess). The bathroom is creepy, though, there is a bad feeling in there like maybe someone's watching you pee, I couldn't close the door in the bathroom when I was in there and I have a problem with people who don't close bathroom doors! The window in there overlooks St Catherine's room and I couldn't work out if that was the problem. Although St Catherine's wasn't booked that night it might have been the reason for feeling observed.

In The Shambles room I don't think there is anything to worry about, if there are spookies they don't mind you getting a night's sleep. It's a very nice room though and worth going to regardless! My mum still felt the need to name any prospective ghost lady Emily, though.

Oh by the way the guy who showed us round, Guy? I think he's part of the experience! Because he left us feeling like we'd booked into our doom. Maybe he didn't mean to act so suspicious...but.....dodgy narrow eye movement.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I want to start by saying that this pub is over 500 years old so you have to expect a bit of wonky stairs and walls. This all adds to the quirkiness of the place. It is full of character and the staff were very helpful. Only downside that at night it got very loud with drunken revellers shouting in the street. Not the pubs fault though. We stayed for 3 nights in the Minster suite. It overlooked The Shambles and therefore was ideally located for us. Breakfast was hearty and we ate one evening in the pub and can highly recommend the home made pie with gravy. Didnt experience any ghostly goings on though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed at the Golden Fleece for 2 nights in the shambles room this week as a birthday treat. Looked like the room has been recently refurbished and it was very clean and tidy without loosing the features and period of what this place is about. The staff are friendly and helpful, however remember this is an old pub with history so quirky uneven floors and dark rooms are normal. Meals are ample and not for the faint hearted. If your looking for posh wine and dining this isnt for you. Unfortunately located near m&s you can hear deliveries early in the morning but we closed the window, if you want spooky, quirky and steeped in history then this is it!

• Stayed June 2013
hartlepool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Golden Fleece in Pavement should be on eveyone's list of places to visit when in York.
what a great little pub, good ales and excellent food a bit gloomy in the half light but that's the nature of the place, its supposed to be haunted innit! to add better lighting would completely deprive the place of atmosphere so if you like what i call, "Laminated Pubs" dont bother with the Golden Fleece, leave it to us mere mortals who enjoy great atmospheric and spooky Inns.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Being a local from York all my life, I was proud to invite some friends over to show them the wonderful sights and sounds of the great city I live in. During the day, we did all the usual touristy stuff as they'd not visited York before, Minster, Shambles Yorvic Viking Museum etc. We stopped in at the Golden Fleece for some lunch middway through the day. The food and drinks were ok, the place was very busy and felt a little cramped but generally it was expected at that time of day and in the height of summer. After our meal, a couple of us went to the rear garden/terrace to have a cigarette (i know, terrible habbit). On our retun my friend pointed out a large white painted cross on the back of my jacket. While i was outside, i had leant against a window fram that had just been painted. No warning signs were present and certainly no 'Wet Paint' signs were stuck on the window. When i pointed this out to a member of staff, we were told we shouldn't have leant against the window and it was our own reponsibility. I then asked to speak to the bar manager, who was even more abrupt and asked us to finish our drinks and leave as we were creating an unwelcomed atmosphere, not even so much as an apology! None of us could believe the treatment we'd received as we left the pub. To say it ruined our day would be an overstatement, it did dampen our spriits slightly, and cost a fair bit of money to get my jacket dry cleaned. In my opinion, any business that does not put the considertaion of the customer first is on a very slippery slope.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Shambolic Fleece! We stayed 2 nights in The Minster Room. Food & Drink good & plentiful. Sadly, our accommodation was shabby, dirty & neglected. No bath mat 1st night, used small white towel. Red threadbare carpet was not vacuumed in 2 days. Bath & sink ignored & not cleaned over 2 days. No towel rail to dry & reuse towels. Red carpet worn out by bathroom door. A small green mat was skilfully placed to hide the hole, which was the size of a dinner plate. Broken & missing tie backs on bedroom curtain. Curtain hooks missing & hanging by a thread. The 4 poster bed was held up by a rather rustic 20th century plastic beer crate. The very early morning noise of M & S delivery lorries reversing into bay made sure you didn’t miss breakfast. Sadly, no one about able to resolve issues. Don’t bother pre-booking your table, you wont get one. It is 1st come 1st served policy when trying to find a table. Residents are not guaranteed a table. Also a pub without a wine list was a bit of surprise. The main effort was catering for the stream of visitors to the pub’s bars.

Room Tip: Check room for suitability/cleanliness PRIOR to settling in. Better still, enjoy better accomidation...