“Afternoon tea at the Cedar Court Grand.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Tea Room
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea at the Cedar Court Grand.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We'd been given a voucher for afternoon tea and decided that we'd extend the treat by staying the night at the hotel. I can say it was a great decision. The tea was indeed a treat - delicious luxury, well-served in beautiful surroundings. Our room was very comfortable and stylish, just what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. What was really outstanding for us was the staff. From arrival to departure, every member of staff we met, in all departments, showed an interest and care, efficiency and friendliness which made our stay exceptional.

We would highly recommend the hotel, and would love to return.

Michael T, Manager at Cedar Court Grand - Afternoon Tea, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear GillH

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent afternoon tea with us. I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience throughout. It is great to hear that you decided to extend your stay with us and enjoy the afternoon tea before heading back to London.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Best Wishes
Mike Thompson

York, United Kingdom
“Not outstanding - could be improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Pleasing reception by various polite and well turned out staff. Table laid out satisfactorily. Slim cut sandwiches lacked flavour and one side of bread seemed a little dry, as if kept in fridge for a while before serving. Scone looked good but no flavour. Cream for scone served in ball, hard and just out of fridge. Assortment of mini jars of preserve ok. Cakes, some very good (macaroons and chocolate square), others poor and lacked freshness. Overall disappointing. I feel sure they could do much better. Will not revisit until I know they have attended to these matters.

Visited May 2013
Michael T, Manager at Cedar Court Grand - Afternoon Tea, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Eborwatch

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our afternoon tea here at The Grand.
It is disappointing to read that you didn’t enjoy some aspects of your afternoon tea food which I have discussed with the chefs. If only you had brought this to our attention on the day and our more than helpful staff would have quickly rectified the problem for you.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand thank you once again.

leek, staffordshire
“Special treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went with 2 friends for my friends 50th birthday. Lovely place, staff very friendly and helpful. Lovely hotel. Had a nice table by the window. Drinks were unlimited, so we started off with tea and finished with coffee. When my friend expressed that she thought the tea was strong, they offered to swap it for something else. Sandwiches and cakes very nice. It was very relaxed and we were not hurried or rushed out by the staff. Liked the Molton Brown hand wash and cream in the toilets!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Crispnut

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review on our afternoon tea here at The Grand. It is fantastic that you decided to celebrate your friends 50th birthday with us.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

York, United Kingdom
“2 for 1 Excellent Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I had afternoon tea at the Cedar Court Hotel on Tuesday 23rd April 2013.The room was very pleasant and we were given a lovely table near the window and all the staff were most polite and attentive.The food was well presented although the sandwiches were a little tasteless.I had to return my Lazy Sunday Coffee as it was very very weak and it was immediately replaced and the manager was most apologetic.
We would have been disappointed if we had paid £19.50 each compared to a similar price at Betty's for Sunday Tea and Music.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Michael T, Manager at Cedar Court Grand - Afternoon Tea, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest

yorkshire
“Better than Betty's !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I had Afternoon Tea at the Cedar Court Hotel on Monday 22nd April 2013. We had a voucher for a 2-for-1 offer, which meant we got our Afternoon Tea(one each) for £19.50. What a bargain !!!. The Room was very nice, the amience was right, and the staff could not have been more helpful. My wife ordered the Dajeeling and I plumped for coffee(Cappachino). I was a little miffed when the waiter brought my wife a POT of tea and a POT of hot water, but only brought me a CUP of coffee. I jokingly said to the waiter I thought it unfair that I only got a cup when my wife got a pot, but he said not to worry, I could have as many cups of coffee as I wanted(I had three - and they were decent sized cups too).
When the 3-tier stand arrived, there were 4 sandwiches each - Cucumber, Egg & Cress, Salmon and Chicken(all were delicious). Then there was a Sultana Scone(still warm), with Clotted Cream and the choice of three jams and lemon curd. Believe me, the jams are to die for.(I've already been on the internet to see where I can get some from). Lastly, there were the cakes. There was four cakes each - a chocolate cake, a cream eclair, a fruit cake and a Strawberry macaroon. - again, all were delicious.
My wife doesn't like macaroons, and asked the waiter if she could have another cake instead of the strawberry macaroon. My wife said to the waiter that it was a shame it was a macaroon as she loved strawberries, but not macaroons. The chef - to his credit - actually made my wife a strawberry bun especially for her, consisting of Strawberries(lots of them), cream and shortbread(my wife thought it was delicious). HOW WAS THAT FOR SERVICE !!!
We had a wonderful afternoon, which seemed to go in a flash. We never felt rushed, and we were treated wonderfully.
We asked for a table for 2 and got it, and we asked for a window table and got it. There were fourteen other diners in the room with us.
We have been to many Afternoon Teas, including the Savoy in London, and believe me, for the money, this took some beating.
Even paying full price - £19.50 - this beats Betty's hands down.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Chowdray

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review on our afternoon tea here at The Grand. It’s great to hear that you received such great service from our staff in the restaurant as we always work hard to look after our guests. Reading reviews like yours always bring a smile to my face and it is why we work in the industry that we do.

I have personally made sure our kitchen team have read your review and it is also great to hear that you consider ourselves better than our local rivals for afternoon tea.

It is also great to hear that you enjoyed our jam selection. They are hand made by The Fruity Kitchen in a little village just outside of York. You can defiantly taste the difference cant you.