“Great hotel, would highly recommend” 4 of 5 stars

Mount Royale Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117/119 The Mount, York YO24 1GU, England   |
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in York
Ayrshire
“Great hotel, would highly recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

What a fabulous hotel. Right from the moment we checked in the staff were friendly and courteous. Our room was at the back overlooking the garden and was spacious with 2 large windows and oak beams on the ceiling. It was bright and clean with quaint furniture and fabrics. It is a good 10 minute walk to the centre of York but we didn't find this too much, in fact, it was good to be away from the noise of the city.

The best thing about this hotel has got to be the breakfast. Its was the best breakfast we have had by far. Plenty of choice, cereals, fresh fruit, selection of fresh breads and cheeses. I would recommend the eggs benedict it was delicious. We ate at the hotel restaurant on our first night and it was good value for money, £15 each for 2 courses with a glass of wine each and the food was to a high standard and the service excellent.

If I had any negative comments it would be that the shower did not work very well when used at busy times but this only happened once and was not too much of an inconvenience.

We would definitely return to this hotel when we next visit York.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
SKIPTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

just got back from a brilliant weekend in york, i highly recomend this hotel we were a party of 12 females ranging in ages 23 to 75 the check in was very professional and speedy, the rooms were lovely and very clean, we ate in the restaurant friday night the food was very good we were given the large private didnig room so it didnt matter if we made a lot of noise as we didnt disturb other diners. we were also asked if we would like the same room for breakfast so that we could all eat together at the same table. the staff were also very good as we were a little bit noisy in the bar friday night but no one seemed to mind.any negative reveiws about this hotel i would ignore it is EXCELLENT.
i would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff especially breakfast staff who could not do enough for us. also the very helpful night porter and the lovely lads who worked in the bar.

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Whatever they say to the contrary, this hotel is not in the center of York but on the edge and unless you are a sturdy walker, you will need a taxi to get you to the Minster.
While the rooms themselves are of a high standard and agreably large (though not air-conditioned and without a mini-bar), service is so so, specially at check in. Breakfast is good, but again service is slow and unpredictable. There seems to be a big difference in the standard of the rooms on the garden and street side.

Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

The first night we were on the top floor at the front of the hotel, it was too hot to not have the windows open but we only had about 4 hours sleep as there was too much noise from the road. We asked the next day if we could be moved and the reception staff were more than happy to help we were upgraded for free to a suit and they could not apologise enough. They also printed off a reservation for train tickets for me that i had lost. the hotel itself was very nice, old but clean and in supurb state of repair. LCD TV in the room complete with lots of freeview channels and dvd player. At breakfast the food was very good standard and the staff really made you feel at home. We didn't make use of all the facilities but there was an outdoor heated swimming pool and a spa too which were at the end of some very nice gardens. Good hotel for familes too as many people staying had children with them.

There is also a restaurant attached which was quite nice, again really nice staff and atmosphere, maybe a little overpriced but nice food.

overall very good value for money and really nice people.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Garden Suites are great. Big and comfortable. The garden is lovely and the pool is very nice, with a cosy atmosphere. The hotel is a rambling building with plenty of character. Staff are very friendly. The quirkiness emerges when you see that they don't clean the garden or patio furniture at all and they leave the cat food out in the doorway to the suites! The waiters were all middle aged blokes who were very friendly and charming. The restaurant was nice but the £15 special (with glass of wine) wasn't a good choice. Pay an extra tenner and have the salmon and prawn starter, followed by the steak. This is a great alternative to the Holiday Inn type places. Also very handy for York itself or the racecourse. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
bradford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

we have been to this hotel before and i think it has gone downhill in the past 3 years.
we had no .hot water for our shower and whene we asked what the problem was we were told( well its an old system) and no offer to try and fix it i at times had to wait ten min at the bar to get served as there were no staff. we stopped with 2 other couples and we all had executive rooms but the rooms vary from 4 poster beds to two singles pushed together i dont see how you can charge executive prices for 2 singles pushed together.

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

My first encounter was unpleasant because the clerk was unable to locate my reservation, I was a little frustrated due to the fact that I had been traveling on the road for 3 hours with 2 children. After about 15 minutes, it was discovered that my name was in the system backwards. Once entering the room, I noticed that the carpet did not appear to be clean, it felt gritty and looked like it had not been vacuumed for days. I later went to the fitness center which included 4 pieces of equipment, only one was in working order. When I inquired about this at the front desk, I was told "I'm not sure". The next night at about 11:00 PM there was a knock at my door, I asked who is it and they replied "front desk" and they told me that I had not paid for the additional night. I stated through the closed door that I had made my reservation for two days and for them to go back and check their records. I also asked why this was not brought to my attention earlier and never received a answer. I was just told that everything was o.k.. In the morning, I went to the business center to check my email, there were 3 computers (one was being used). I was unable to gain internet access on the remaining two. When I inquired about not being able to get on the internet from the other computers, I was told once again by the front desk " I don't know" and that was it. And lastly, I was told that check out was at noon, I left my room around 10:00 a.m. and return at 11:45a.m. to find my door open and in the process of being cleaned. I was so frustrated at this point, I just left.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Mount Royale Hotel? Share your experiences!