“Pleasantly surprised ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 45 hotels in York
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had read quite a few bad reviews after booking a room at the hotel and were a bit worried!

The hotel communal areas where very nice. There's even a small indoor pool and sauna (which we didn't use but may have done if our stay was longer).

The room was basic but clean and the bed was very comfy and warm.

We did have one guest snoring very loudly in a near by room which we could hear clearly. The walls are a little thin!

Breakfast was served quickly and was fine but not outstanding.

We'd stay at this hotel again because it was great value for money.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day break with my sister and brother-in-law and we all agree that the Newington was very good value for money. Our rooms were spotless, there was always a good selection of well-cooked food, ALL the staff were friendly and only too willing to help and the location was ideal for our needs. To the critics were moan on about it being dated, well, define 'dated'. Even last year's tastes are now dated and anyway decoration and furniture styles are personal tastes so you're never going to please all the people all the time. I take exception to Simon B's reference to it being 'aimed for the elderly'. I am 65, have travelled the world and stayed in some really awful places in my time and would have no hesitation in recommending the Newington, not because it's 'aimed for the elderly' but because it ticks all the boxes. I'm afraid some people have unrealistic expectations and are too quick to criticize things that don't really matter. So thank you Newington, I really enjoyed my stay and wish you continued success.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Just had two nights at this hotel,it is nice and clean and breakfast lovely, staff friendly,we enjoyed our stay. Just 10 to 15 minutes walk to the centre of York. Plus had a pool we enjoyed our swim in afternoon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Six of us went away for the weekend. I booked the hotel back in April, I would of thought the three double rooms would all be together...but no. On entering our room, the first thing we noticed was how small it was. The pink bathroom had a hose connector that you push onto the taps so you can have a 'hand held' shower. Old Lino on the bathroom floor and not the most eye catching accommodation. My friends had the sink in his bedroom next to the bed! We went for dinner, and they had extended their 'Halloween menu' for another night, the meal was so small! We ordered a drink at the table, two of the drinks we asked for where brandy and coke, however the waitress brought whiskey and coke. When we told her of the mistake, she smelt it and said..I don't drink whiskey or brandy but that's definitely brandy. We argued a little bit and she simply walked off! My friend took the drinks to the bar...and once again an argument ensued. The barmaid reluctantly poured another drink....the correct one this time! However, the breakfast staff AND food was much better. The bar prices were extortionate .....£5 for a small glass of wine; £6:50 for a large glass. I ordered a large southern comfort and ginger and a large vodka and coke which came to £16:60. I asked the barmaid (whose back was towards me) where the gents were......without turning round she just raised an arm, pointed downwards and said 'downstairs' ! The decor and food sizes I think are aimed for the 'elderly'. I will not return, nor recommend.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were up to York for the weekend to do a spot of Christmas shopping. We are 6 friends-age ranges between 47 and 59 years. There were 6 of us in total. The hotel itself was well presented. We were sent to the lodge which are houses across the car park all set with en suites. The rooms were very old fashioned. It was small, with a pink bath and a rubber hose for the shower!! The sheets were clean but there was an eiderdown with a grease mark on it and the bed was quite comfortable.The first night we arrived the food being served was not nice at all. Battered mushrooms tasted like they had been re fried and the chicken and bacon I was served was very dry. It was supposed to be a halloween meal and it did the job of scaring me into not eating anymore-leaving half my food on the plate. The rest of the group didn't think much of their meals either. The following evening meals were not much better. Four of the group had curry it was very highly salted. The breakfasts were great-traditional English breakfasts. On the first evening meal 2 of the group requested a brandy a coke at their dinner table-on tasting it they both said it was whisky. The waitress smelt the drink and said "No you're wrong that's brandy" One of the group said "No its not its definitely whisky" the waitress shrugged her shoulders and said "Well I don't drink either but i know that's brandy" She then walked off. The husband then went to the bar and had the same problem with the person serving behind the bar. Unbelievable service!! I do try the positive in all my reviews. If you read them you will see. However, in this instance I felt quite let down by this hotel and to top it all a coke and double vodka with a double southern comfort and ginger was £16.80. I very much doubt I will return there. More suited for the over 65's and not our age group but there were some people of our age there. Being in a group of 6 we did laugh a lot and chatted but it did seem as that was frowned on as well. Next time we come to York we will choose wisely.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Having read many of the reviews I was unsure what I would find at the Newington Hotel. My experience was good from the start - I had requested a quiet room and this was noted at reception and accordingly I had been allocated a great room in the Coach House. A comfortable additional seating area complemented the spacious and clean double room - the en suite wasn't huge, but for me that's not a problem as I'd rather have the space in the bedroom. Yes, it's not the most up-to-date furniture and decoration but I certainly found nothing wrong with it.
I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant - three courses of delicious food - with excellent, efficient service from the waiting staff. I was dining alone and often have had immense pauses at every stage of the meal (great if you've someone to chat to!) however, at the Newington the staff cleared plates and brought the next course rapidly but without rushing. Fabulous - many thanks!
Breakfast was equally good and although I don't eat a cooked breakfast I saw another diner tucking into perfectly cooked poached eggs - a good sign in my opinion.
A short bus ride from the centre of York gives the Newington Hotel a lovely location and I would happily stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ash, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night in October! We paid £120 for a superior room which did have quite a nice view of the race course...however that is frankly the only positive we could find! This hotel needs some serious money spending on it! The bathroom was damp and dirty! God only knows what decade/century the bathroom suite was from! The bed was uncomfortable, and the whole room was veiled in a shroud of dust and dirt! Breakfast was a disgrace! Even the mini croissant were burnt to a crisp and the milk was either UHT or off! Hugely over- priced! Interestingly, the receptionist did not even enquire whether we had enjoyed our stay when we left...clearly they do not want direct feedback!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Newington Hotel? Share your experiences!