“Horrible!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 45 Hotels in York
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Horrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had low expectations of the Newington Hotel in York, but since we merely wanted a bed for the night, were not too concerned about the bad reviews. So when we arrived and saw the unsavoury looking pool, the dreary décor, the rucked up and nastily stained carpet in our hideously furnished room, the mean little shower cubicle and the lino on the loo floor, my husband and I merely exchanged wry smiles. The towels and sheets looked clean and crisp, so why worry? However, when we got into bed and found the mattress to be lumpy AND sagging in the middle, our sense of humour went into crisis mode. The fact that the room was like an oven and could not be cooled (in October?! In Yorkshire?!) even when we turned off the radiator and opened the window added to our discomfort. We’d ordered a newspaper and were not surprised that it was not there when we opened the door in the morning. Said paper was handed to us when we checked out, by which time we’d had breakfast (mediocre) and were about to embark on a long drive home! And at £105 for the night, I believe we can safely say that we were comprehensively fleeced.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 329 like the plague!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Spend one night hotel stay at York. Clean room and the hotel facilities look old, free wi-fi access available only at the lift lobby area. With this kind of price we paid for 70 pounds, we definitely cannot compare to those high end hotel. Comfort bed and great toilet facilities that come with bath tub in our room. The hotel also come with spa pool that surprise us but we didn't manage to use it. Breakfast was great & the staff was friendly. Free park facilities just behind the hotel. The place of interest you can try to visit was the Railway Museum (largest in UK) which was free, visit the York Minister and visit the old street of York. The above place of interest was within walking distance about 2-3km from our Hotel. The minus point i given to them was sometimes there was disruption in acess the wi-fi. If there was free wi-fi access in the room, it will be great

Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Well we were presently suprised by our stay at this hotel......we were in the main part of the hotel which was very warm...in fact we had to open a window! Alot of reviews put me off this place but it is what it is......dated bedroom furniture and decor BUT clean bathrooms and nice white towels...breakfast was very good with very attentive staff infact all the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly..........the communal area of the hotel are more modern than the rooms....our twin room had lots of space and a modern tv........for a place to sleep and have breakfast it does the job....you only need to book 1 night at weekends....a rarity in York.........can't comment on the coach house but would say ask for the main hotel and you won't go too far wrong!

Room Tip: room 220 on the front- twin spacious dated appearance but clean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Nothing bad to say but nothing good either.
Clean - yes
Location - ok, great for race course, city centre 15 min walk
Rooms - comfortable, not going to win any awards but if you are bothered about that you wouldn't be staying here.
Bar - very dated, if you want to drink in a hotel bar rather than explore then it's acceptable but don't ask for anything adventurous. At the end of the day at least they have a Bar!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thetford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed staying at the newington, I had an excellent room, room 105. No complaints at all it made our stay really special. The room was of a very high standard very spacious,room was kept clean daily by the brilliant maids. The food was excellent however the evening meal was a little overpriced I thought, but that said the food was lovely. The staff in the Newington I found were very hospitable and helpful going out of there way to pass on there information about york or make your stay more comfortable. I would definately stay there again and recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Decided to visit York for the day with my adult daughter and thought it would be nice to make a proper trip and stay overnight in a nice hotel. Booked through Booking.com and thought the description and photographs made this hotel seem very appealing that we decided to book and paid the deposit online. Why, did I not read the reviews on this website first, when I did I contacted Booking.com to request cancellation to book another hotel. Was informed that the deposit was non-refundable from the hotel and my bank account had been charged immediately when booked. We were only stopping overnight and how bad could that be. BAD!!! Although the hotel is walking distance from the centre (about 20 mins walk).
The first room we were given was on the 2nd floor, although seemed a never ending corridor of stairs that dipped in the middle and narrowed the higher you went in the hotel. The room itself, smelled as though someone had been smoking in the room, and although it was a smoke free hotel and the receptionist said was not possible that someone had been smoking in it. It smelled. We decided that the only other reason in that case for the very distasteful odour must be due to the fact that the room itself was extremely dilapidated and just smelly. Although it appeared to be clean??? We asked to be given another room, we were offered their only other free room which was based on the first floor in the Coach House. This room looked actually worse than the first room, the floor in the shower/toilet was split and mould growing around the base of the shower. The sink was based in the bedroom. The room itself smelt of damp this time, and again the room was extremely dilapidated. The beds were hard and uncomfortable, however the sheets were clean. There was no soap/shower cream/shampoo in this room (shouldv'e taken it from the first one) and the sink was based actually in the bedroom. We did not try out the swimming pool, as we had already been put off by everything else about the hotel. The bar is quite expensive. We did not have our evening meal in the hotel but we did have breakfast the next morning, the options were for a full breakfast or kippers or boiled egg. We opted for the full breakfast this and the serving staff were the only good things at this hotel. It was such a shame that this hotel did not stand up to the information and photos given on booking.com as we were really looking forward to getting away for just a very short break, but relieved that we were not staying longer at this hotel, as we actually left the hotel feeling very grubby!!!
A lot of money needs to be spent on this hotel by the proprietors, and I don't mean by a lick of paint, this needs total gutting out or even rebuilding but when they are charging a min of £50 per night surely this would be money well spent in order to have clients return. Personally I wont be returning any time soon (even if you paid me).

Room Tip: Dont bother with this hotel, you'll only regret it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked with a company ( olotels) paid £130 for a double room with breakfast, we got to the mewing ton hotel and was told we were in the coach house , I had read the reviews and my hard sank, but the receptionist assured us it wasn't as bad as made out, so off we went and as soon as we got the key in the door I just knew we was in for a spoilt time, the room was cold damp and very dated, oh and it was a standard twin room lol, £130 for that , off I went to see the reception lady and she said you have booked a twin room??????? No I booked a double room in the hotel , the receptionists then phoned the company who I booked with and they told her to tell us just push the beds together, I was most upset and my partner decided that we was going home, I must say all credit to the receptionist as she phoned round the hotels in York , it was the Marriott that came to the rescue and sold us a king size room for £100 , so for one night in York it cost me £230, I must say I would not recommend The Newington to anyone but the receptionist ( sorry can't remember your name) is a credit to that hotel ,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Newington Hotel? Share your experiences!