“superb hotel in a superb location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Free Car Parking
Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in York
Lancashire
“superb hotel in a superb location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

We've just spent a few days at the Churchill Hotel and were impressed with the room, food and service. It is located just outside the city walls and provides free parking. The staff were great and really made our stay pleasurable. The restaurant food is extremely good and the early bird option was very good value for money. We'd definitely stay again

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Arundel, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

I stayed at The Churchill for one night on business, having chosen it following other reviews. My experience was very disappointing on two counts: the size of the room and the lack of welcome. I didn't manage to eat dinner or breakfast, so can't comment on the restaurant.
Firstly, the welcome - when I arrived there was no one at reception, but eventually I managed to attract the attention of the four staff who were chatting just outside the restaurant further through the lobby. I explained that I wanted to check in and the response made me feel like I was making an unreasonable request! It was all a bit perfunctory and failed to give me some important information like the fact that if I wanted to eat dinner in the restaurant, I needed to book. (That's how I came not to eat dinner - it was full when I came down to eat. And this was the second occasion when I troubled the four staff gathered chatting outside the restaurant. What a nuisance I was.)
Secondly, my room: it was very, very small and having been painted brown was very claustrophobic . (And no room to eat dinner - so room service wasn't an option!) It was very stuffy and also had one of those low level humming background noises which are so irritating, so not even a decent night's sleep available.
In the morning, breakfast wasn't served until 7.30 onwards, which was too late for me as I needed to be on my way to a meeting.
On the plus side, the decor was pleasing - neutral and not fussy, but quite cosy. And the bathroom was lovely (almost spacious!).
For me, as a woman who frequently stays away on business, The Churchill was not a pleasant or comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Fife, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We booked in to stay at the Churchill for a long weekend (which coincided with Valentines weekend). After contacting John at the Churchill, we decided to stay in one of their luxury rooms as we were staying for 4 nights and wanted a bit of comfort. On arriving, we were upgraded to the Prince of Wales suite - huge and luxurious (the bed has a TV that rises by remote control!!). The bathroom was very impressive and the massive copper bath in the room was a nice touch.

My wife is a vegetarian and so I had raised the issue of the valentine's meal, which was mostly meat-based. The chef actually created several 'new' dishes to substitute the meat dishes in the 7-course dinner.

The food was excellent (breakfast was cereal and toast followed by a cooked breakfast served fresh. The Valentine's dinner was 7 courses in a very romantic setting)

All in all, the service was outstanding. I had regular contact with John (the manager) regarding the food. As soon as we arrived, we were made to feel very welcome - the staff knew about us before we arrived.

I'm glad we stayed at the Churchill and not some 'chain' hotel. The attention to detail and personal approach was exceptional. Great value for money too.

If you ever want somewhere to stay in York, the Churchill is close to the city walls (5-10 min walk and you are at the Minster and all the other attractions.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
matthalps
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Hotel was 5 mins walk from the city centre. Free Parking but if your staying at the weekend get there early to get a space. Room itself was massive and the bathroom was huge and both were both fitted out to a high level! The breakfast is all freshly cooked upon request - don't miss out on the full english its amazing! All the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Castleton Rochdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We booked this Hotel in January after looking through all what York had to offer and finally decided to go to the Churchill, we arrived about 4pm Fri 2nd April, had a lovely welcome from Reception, was even offered a choice of room with a bath/shower or just a shower, we opted for both, a member of staff showed us to our room, it was small like most of the comments have been, but it was compact and we had everything we needed, it was clean, tidy and lovely decor.

We had booked 2 nights in the Restaurant and we were not disappointed, we had the early bird menu and didn't have room for the 3 course, food was lovely and the olives and bread and dipping oil was a nice start to the meal.

Breakfast didn't disappoint either, cooked to order, there was enough choice with cereals, juice, yoghurts, pastries, breads plus the cooked breakfast menu.

All the staff were a credit to the Hotel, it made the Hotel experience very pleasant.

We have been to York for several years for short breaks and have had a great time every time we go, each time doing something different, this time was the Horse and Carriage outside the Minster.

If there was one fault we had and it was that the window didn't open in our room and it got rather warm through the night and a bit of fresh air would have been welcomed.

We will definately go back to the Churchill

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We enjoyed out stay at this hotel. Our room was decorated and furnished beautifully and was immaculate . Five minutes walk to city walls and York Minster. Private free parking. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

My wife and I had a short three night break at the Churchill Hotel in York recently (March 2010). We had opted for this hotel as it seemed to have style and interest – just what we wanted to mark the end of my wife’s chemotherapy treatment and take her mind off the forthcoming radiotherapy. I had emailed the hotel to explain the occasion and ascertain the room details (as well as looking online) and decided that we would book a three night stay in one of the Luxury rooms (the best in the hotel apart from the Prince of Wales suite). These rooms carry a standard tag of £179 per night, although I booked online about 6 weeks in advance for a three night stay at £381. The same deal was available a week before we went at £100 less – so book late is the motto here! I emailed them again before we went asking them to make sure a bottle of Bollinger was ready for us on arrival.

On arrival we were dealt with very pleasantly at reception and shown to our room, which was in the main old building and approached up the very nice staircase. I reminded reception of my champagne request which they seemed unaware of – a sign of things to come perhaps. The Luxury rooms are described as including many things, amongst them a Four Poster Bed, Bathrobes and Whitakers chocolates. On entering the room the first impression is how small it was – much smaller than my own bedroom at home in fact! The bed really only just fits with a small passageway down the side to get in and out. The bed, described as a four poster, was rather comic. A bed with some square section batten attached to the ends and around the top is actually it! The room had windows at one end behind the bed, however these just looked across an empty expanse of roof (apart from the ventilation equipment etc). In summer with a window open this could be a noise issue.

There was no ethernet socket for the advertised internet connection so I called reception who gave me the wireless key to gain access – possibly something that could be dealt with when guests first arrive. We were unable to find the advertised bathrobes and so called reception again who said they would get some to us (they did – but about an hour later). I opened the bubbly and we looked for the advertised chocolate to go with it – no chocolates. We drank the bubbly without as I just couldn’t be bothered to call reception yet again. The bathroom was OK, but there was a very strange selection of towels for a double room with two people – one bath sheet, one bath towel and one hand towel. Two each of bath and hand towels would have seemed more appropriate.

We ate in the Restaurant on two of the evenings. The menu is relatively small but very original and the food was fabulous. The second of the evenings was marred a little by the fact that there was a Rotary Club event being held and they were all gathering in the adjoining bar area before going to the function room. Our restaurant table was very close to the doorway between the Bar and Restaurant areas and for a while conversation was very difficult. The restoration of a door to the empty doorway would help overcome the problem. Incidentally, these rooms are described in the brochure as the ‘Piano Bar and Restaurant’. There is a piano sitting at one end of the restaurant area, but it wasn’t played at any time whilst we were there - a far cry from the brochures comment - ‘Comfy chairs, candlelight, the soft chords of the baby grand piano being played and above all attentive service combine to provide the perfect setting to savour the exquisite fine dining cuisine provided by our talented team of chefs’. Ahem..........

Breakfast was good in terms of food and general service. However on all three occasions there was something missing on our table. One day it was salt (the shaker was there – just empty), one was sugars and the final was a fork on one of the place settings.

At the end of the stay, we were left disappointed – but disappointed at being disappointed. This Winston Churchill themed hotel has much going for it and could be really good – the staff were very good indeed but one is left with the impression that behind them is a management approach that isn’t very inspirational. Leaving guests to ask for what should already be there is not good – and simple table setting errors are easily avoided with a good management approach. The guest opinion card carries the question ‘Did we exceed your expectations’. Easy to answer given that they failed to even meet their own expectations!

Would we go there again? No, we don’t think so.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Churchill Hotel? Share your experiences!