“Weekend away” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Weekend away”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Booked this hotel as a birthday treat for my partner. Stayed in room 14. Where to start,. Initially very pleasant hotel receptionist. Room in the attic. Having returned from day out in the snow/ slush we found that our room had sprung several leaks. We informed staff who offered us a bucket to catch the drips ! The evening receptionist was at best rude. We came back to the hotel following an evening out to find the bucket and towels to drown the sounds of dripping. There was water coming out of light fixtures apparently no one thought this a particular problem. Breakfast both days took an eternity!! Carry on films springs to mind. Stuart was lovely. We did ask for the manager to talk to us but this did not happen. Very disappointing hotel experience.

dkYorks, Manager at Minster Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Minster Hotel, my sincerest apologies that you were disappointed with your stay. The leak which occurred in your room was the first time we have experienced such a problem, and was caused by the extreme weather conditions, the hotel was fully booked that evening, and so we were unable to offer you an alternative room, we asked if you would like us to find you an alternative hotel for the night, which you declined, we did not charge you for youraccommodation that evening, I am unsure what else we could have done for you.
The problem with the flat roof above that room has now been rectified, once again my apologies for the problem you encountered, which I can assure you is not the norm for the Minster Hotel, thank you for your time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a two night stay here. We got a lovely warm welcome from reception, very organised and friendly. Breakfast was lovely, we did have to wait on second morning a bit, but that's because it was full !!!!, ducky eggs and soldiers were the best. Very close to the centre, secure parking at the rear. Room was lovely slept brilliant as was no noise. Can't fault this hotel at all, credit where it's due. To all the staff thank you, we will return when it's Warmer !!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Lovely blonde lady on reception greeted us on very cold snowy eveniNg. Room big disappointment- small, very tired looking. Sloping eave over bed painful to hit at 2am in the dark! Definitely not double size room. Bed was so hard that even my partner..... who never complains....was so unable to sleep or get comfortable.
Breakfast was a farce. We waited patiently for 15min before even drinks order taken then told 20min delay once breakfast order taken. Meanwhile..toast arrived with the coffee so was 30 min old once breakfast arrived- which wad cold and very greasy.
We moved to another hotel for rest of stay. Certainly not a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013
dkYorks, Manager at Minster Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for review of the hotel following your recent stay, my sincerest apologies for giving you any reason to be dissappointed with any aspect of your stay.
There are no excuses for the disappointing breakfast, whcih is normally one of the highlights of any stay at the Minster, we appointed a new breakfast chef 2 weeks ago, and this was their first weekend working alone, and it proved to be a disaster, steps have been taken to ensure that this does not happen again.
Once again my sincerest apologies, thank you for taking the time to write.
Wexford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We were in York for a few days last week and stayed at this hotel.On the positives first I would like to say that the staff we dealt with were wonderful,especially the blonde girl at reception.You could not meet a nicer person.The rooms were lovely, very clean and comfortable,ours with four poster bed.It was a bit of a climb up four flights of stairs alright for anybody not fully mobile.The location of the hotel is great,walking distance to all central parts of this beautiful city. Now the bad points. The showers are terrible,weak and very difficult to regulate (can't get them cold enough to stand under for more than 3 seconds ) and my wife loves really hot showers.The rooms can get very stuffy but you can't open windows because of traffic noise.We had breakfast included and the first morning was ok,we only had to wait 20mins for it to cook.The second morning it took 52mins ( I kid you not) for our very average english breakfast to arrive and it was the same for all other guests.Some guests even offered to get up and cook their own and there was only about 12 people in total.We had ice tea in the middle of winter with our breakfast as the tea an toast was served in first 5mins of being seated.Needless to say after that we went else where .Don't know who they have doing the cooking but it needs to be addressed very quickly for their own sake

Room Tip: go down town for breakfast
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
dkYorks, Manager at Minster Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay, I am unable to explain why you had any difficulties with the cold water feed on the shower, which is mains fed, we are having our plumbers check the pressure.
We have appointed a new breakfast chef, two weeks ago, and this was their first weekend working alone, I am fully aware of all the problems that arose over that period and can assure you that the matter has been addressed.
My sincerest apologies for giving you any reason to be disappointed, I agree fully that the time most people were left waiting for breakfast was totally unacceptable.
Once again thank you for both your time and constructive feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room here on the basis of other 'trip adviser' reviews, and I'm pleased to say we weren't disappointed. After a cold, snowy journey to York, we were given a lovely warm welcome at the Minster Hotel. Our room was in the rear annex, it was clean, warm and fairly spacious. As we were at the rear there was no street noise to disturb an excellent night's sleep in the large comfy bed. There was plenty of choice for breakfast, we both opted for the filling full English. The hotel is on Bootham, which is literally a 5 minute walk from the Minster, and Theatre Royal.
I proposed to my girlfriend on this stay in York, and the Minster Hotel only added to the whole visit. (Incidentally, she said 'yes')

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Three night stay in York to celebrate our Silver Wedding anniversary. We stayed in room #1 (four poster!). Spotlessly clean room and comfortable. Although it was very cold outside (-4 at one point!) we were warm as toast in the hotel. Staff were all very pleasant, cheerful and welcoming. I ordered a Champagne breakfast in our room which was provided without any fuss. I also had pre-ordered a bunch of flowers from Wards Florist which were in our room in a vase when we came back in the evening. Ample parking space and the hotel is located just outside the city wall so after we arrived we did not need to use the car again until we left. All attractions within easy walking distance. Cooked brakfast was really nice. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit to York. We bought the York Pass and there was a 20% discount offer when we bought it which made it very good value for money. Some attractions are as much as £10 admission! BEWARE The York Chocolate Story especially if you have kids. The York Pass allows two for one admission however it is £9.50 each so we gave it a wide berth. Also 'Haunted' in Stonegate thankfully is included in The Pass because this is £10 each as well (which is not worth it if you are paying cash). York Minstare of course is breathtaking, we joined an organised tour group which made it fascinating. I remember visiting the Jorvik Viking Centre soon after it originally opened and thought it was poor value for money (especially with my two young daughters in tow) however we went as the Pass included it. I have to report that I STILL think it's poor value for money! It's ok to get out of the cold for a bit and have a doze on the 'ride' but other than that... One of the best attractions has to be The Railway Museum and best of all it's FREE! (You do get mugged on admittance for a £3 'donation' though which I resented. If left to my own devices I would have been happy to stick at least a fiver into a donation 'box' but on principal I just gave the £3 that was demanded). I don't like the idea of something being advertised as 'free' then getting shamed in front of others into paying up. I would rather they just charge an admission fee in the first place. Best laugh on our visit to York has to have been the Reel Cinema. I swear the screen on our TV is bigger than theirs hahaha!

Room Tip: #1 four poster!
North east
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just stayed one night at The Minster but will be back. Very convenient for York centre attractions, car park, and friendly and helpful staff. Quiet comfortable rooms at affordable prices cannot fault the hotel which offers service and accomodation far above its rating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Minster Hotel? Share your experiences!