Very well located for exploring the city, the hotel itself is a handsome Georgian townhouse with some very fine period features inside. There were some downsides: the bedroom, right at the top and at the side of the building, overlooked a car park. This wasn't really a problem visually because it was so high up, plus there was also a great view of the Minster (it wasn't billed as a Minster view room either). However, because the night of the stay it happened to be hot, I had to open the window (no air con) and noise from early morning delivery vans was a bit irksome. The bedroom itself (a "classic double") had little in the way of period features, but it had character simply because it was an attic room (there were 3 or 4 stairs inside the room leading from the door up to the rest of the room, which added interest). Quite a few of the bathroom floor tiles were loose, and there was one bit right next to the toilet which had been stuck down, the offending black duct tape hidden by a shower mat. Also, the bathroom mirror light came on automatically when it sensed someone was in the bedroom, let alone the bathroom, which could be a bit annoying. In fact it was so sensitive that even when you were turning in bed it would come on (which, in the middle of the night, led me to wonder whether one of the judges had come back on a visit). But shutting the bathroom door solved the problem. There were one or two other bits around the hotel which suggested it could do with a bit of TLC - the carpet throughout the hotel suffered from stains here and there - but this didn't really detract from the beauty of the interior (the staircase is magnificent). Good breakfast. Friendly staff too. All in all, an enjoyable stay and ideal for a mini-break. Just a few minor maintenance issues which could do with ironing out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Housed in a grade 1 listed Georgian townhouse built in the early 1700's and originally a Doctor's house before becoming a Judges Lodging - from which the bar,hotel and restaurant now takes its name. Extensively refurbished in 2014, the Judge's Lodging has 21 individually styled bedrooms, an original vaulted cellar bar,first floor dining and drinking and also 2 fabulous outside areas- quite unique within the centre of York! With a fabulous location in the shadows of the Minster, we offer a warm and friendly Yorkshire welcome to guests from all over the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your The Judges Lodging reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Judges Lodgings Hotel York
- Judges Lodgings Hotel York
- Judges Lodgings York